New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Best MID price ball head

cadman342001
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best MID price ball head

I'm looking for something better than the crap on ebay, but cheaper than the high end stuff like Acratech / Markins / RRS / Arca Swiss / Kirk that cost 4 or 500 bucks.

Say a limit of $200? I'd be happy with used but I'm in Australia so postage would probably be prohibitive. If there is anything super strong nearer to $100 then even better but I'm prepared to pay $200 for the right head (build quality, load capacity, good design etc.).

I've never had a decent BH, all been cheap Chinese ebay crap.

My tripod is an Induro AT-413.

What I'm looking for is something to use for landscape and on my new Star Adventurer star tracker that locks down with ZERO drifting / movement once locked. Obviously, a geared head would be ideal for astro but again not in my budget methinks (seen them for 4-500)

Current heaviest / largest combo is say a gripped D600 and 80-200/2.8 2 ring AF-D or AF-S 300mm f4 plus 1.7TC.

My thoughts, Sirui K40 or K20 ? Your suggestions welcomed.

Andy

Apr 08, 2017 at 01:23 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best MID price ball head

Andy,

I found myself in your position and ended up with the Sirui K-40X for $160 USD from B&H. I am very happy with it and the money I saved. It will easily handle what you have. My heaviest rig is a Canon 7D with battery grip and 70-200/2.8 with 1.4X, which it handles easily.

Ed

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:36 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best MID price ball head

Kirk BH-3 is a bit above your budget at $285.00 but it is a great product IMHO. Although most people here don't seem to care, it's made in the USA.

Apr 08, 2017 at 05:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best MID price ball head

DGC1 wrote:
Kirk BH-3 is a bit above your budget at $285.00 but it is a great product IMHO. Although most people here don't seem to care, it's made in the USA.

They just keep on going and going, and even an old one can be serviced easily.

EBH

Apr 08, 2017 at 06:22 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best MID price ball head

cadman342001 wrote:
I'm looking for something better than the crap on ebay, but cheaper than the high end stuff like Acratech / Markins / RRS / Arca Swiss / Kirk that cost 4 or 500 bucks.

Say a limit of $200? I'd be happy with used but I'm in Australia so postage would probably be prohibitive. If there is anything super strong nearer to $100 then even better but I'm prepared to pay $200 for the right head (build quality, load capacity, good design etc.).

I've never had a decent BH, all been cheap Chinese ebay crap.

My tripod is an Induro AT-413.

What I'm looking
...Show more

I have the Sirui K 40; excellent robust head in most ways. One minor annoyance: the rubber on the knobs comes loose so that when you twist them, the rubber just spins. Easily fixed with some adhesive I guess. It's often little (fixable) things like this that mark the difference between the best and the affordable. (the rubber on some of my otherwise world class Korean PhotoClam heads split...)

Apr 08, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best MID price ball head

Buy a used really good ballhead. You will be happier in the long run. New doesn't always mean better.

Kent in SD

Apr 09, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Venky
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best MID price ball head

Andy, try FLM 43 or 48 FT new or maybe an used one.

Apr 09, 2017 at 04:48 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best MID price ball head

I've got a Sirui K-30X and it has worked really well for me. The two complaints I always see are the method of changing tension and the rubber knobs coming loose. The rubber on mine is very secure to the knobs so not sure if that is an issue that has been fixed or I just haven't reached that point in degradation. I'm quite used to the tension knob now, although different, it works.

The thing holds up so much weight and just seems to perform really well for me.

In my opinion the Sirui K-series performs just as well as the $300 ball heads. In this instance, if one were to actually fail, I would personally rather buy (2) $150 ball heads because one broke down after many years (come with 6 year warranty!) than I would (1) $300 ball head. That is simply my opinion here because ball heads typically don't just fail instantly. They begin to degrade, which case you have plenty of time to buy another one. In practice, I'm guessing the Sirui's last just as long anyway.

In my opinion, the best mid priced ball head. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/battle-of-the-titans-top-ball-heads-tested

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM
hokiejokey
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best MID price ball head

Venky wrote:
Andy, try FLM 43 or 48 FT new or maybe an used one.

Second on the FLM. They are well built.

Apr 12, 2017 at 08:46 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.