New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nikon side car folders?

david debalko
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon side car folders?

I shoot NEFs with 2 cameras, I edit photos down and then combine the photos into 1 folder sorting by date shot, I then rename and create JPEGs, one problem I'm having is when I combine the photos into 1 folder I'm always asked "an item named NKSC_PARAM already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the one your moving? I called Nikon support with this question and the Tech didn't even know such a folder exists.
I think this folder has file information and I don't want to get rid of it, correct?
How should I combine the photos into 1 folder?

Apr 07, 2017 at 02:32 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon side car folders?

That file is only needed in the camera so you can safely delete it from your computer's HD. I usually avoid downloading it in the first place.

I don't know which downloader you use, but the Adobe one which I use lets me specify the folder I want to use.

Apr 10, 2017 at 07:00 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon side car folders?

If you look on your memory card, there is no such NKSC_PARAM folder. It is generated by your computer when the Raw NEF files are ranked or edited in ViewNX-i or CaptureNX-D. Should you toss out the NKSC_PARAM folder all your rankings and edits will be lost. This is a sidecar folder that stores your file changes to those edited files.

I too use two bodies while shooting the same assignment. I choose to combine the files into one Raw folder upon import and thus any edits or rankings I give the Raw files stay put in the generated NKSC_PARAM folder.

I have purposely set my cameras to name the the first three alpha numerics 1JB and 2JB which indicates which body they are shot with. After importing, all Raw files they all get a new file name before ranks and edits are done, I do it with ViewNX-i using the Rename function. I then set it to Original name+New name, in my case New name is my docket number. Once edits to the Raw NEF's are made in either ViewNX-i or CaptureNX-D, I output tiff's to a new folder named 16_Bit, these files are the ones I edit in PhotoShop.

I have set up other Workflow folders based on what gets done, I have 8_Bit, Proofs and Web_Rez folders too.

Apr 12, 2017 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.