New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · laptop recommendation

cherubino
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · laptop recommendation

This may be a challenge. I would like a travel laptop 15" for lightroom/photoshop, but would
like to keep the price under $750. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks in advance for your help.

Apr 07, 2017 at 09:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · laptop recommendation

questions:

Do you mind used ?
does it 'have' to be 15"?
windows or mac ?

personal opinion as a mac convert id choose either a MacBook air 13" or a pro depending on what was around in my budget .

if its windows then id be looking at some of the previous gen models from either Dell or HP or possibly a Lenovo yoga series . My wife has the 1st gen 13" yoga and for the most part its been a decent machine . I think some of the later ones went up to 14"

Apr 07, 2017 at 10:03 AM
fishemsan

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · laptop recommendation

I bought a Surface Pro IV tablet last year and really like it. I bought it mostly for travel, but have found myself doing almost all of my photo processing on it. Mine is one of the more powerful models with an i7 processor and 16gb of RAM. It handles photo processing with power to spare. Mine was about $1300, but I think they've come down slightly in price. You could reduce the processor speed and RAM and buy one in your price range, maybe a bit higher.

Apr 07, 2017 at 10:06 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · laptop recommendation

IMHO you either need to raise your budget, wait for a sale, or buy used to avoid disappointment, I think. Sticking with a Windows PC will probably be important especially with a limited budget if you're trying to maximize performance per dollar.

Lenovo sometimes has ridiculous sales, I picked this up in January for $730 CAD ($545 USD), brand new custom made:

Lenovo ThinkPad E570
i7-7500U
15.6" 1080P IPS matte display
16GB DDR4 RAM
GTX950M descrete graphics
256GB PCI-E NVMe SSD
DVD Burner
Wireless AC 2X2 / Bluetooth 4.1
Windows 10 64 Bit
and all the other little things

On the used side, you can look at Dell XPS models, Asus Zenbook Models, Microsoft Surface Pro, HP Spectre models, and a wide range of Lenovo product. Don't get anything too old - some people grossly overvalue their used PCs and you have to weed those out.

Apr 07, 2017 at 10:13 AM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · laptop recommendation

I am a pc user , but quite flexible beyond for that. Thanks everyone for your help.

Apr 07, 2017 at 03:07 PM
oguruma
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · laptop recommendation

Dell M7510 when you can find them refurbished.

Dell M3510 is less powerful, but cheaper.

What kind of CPU do you need? Cheaper and less powerful U series intel? Or More expensive and powerful HQ?

Do you need dedicated graphics or will integrated graphics work? Those are two criteria that would be helpful to know...

Apr 07, 2017 at 03:10 PM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · laptop recommendation

The primary requirement is for Lightroom and Photoshop.
As long as the CPU can handle Photoshop and dedicated graphics card only if Photoshop requires one. 15 inch is preferred. Thanks to all for your help.

Apr 08, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · laptop recommendation

Used Sony Pro 13? Haven't used one but am looking. The 1080p IPS rates a 94% coverage of sRGB which is great for an Ultrabook.

Apr 08, 2017 at 07:49 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · laptop recommendation

I purchased a used i7 Dell XPS13 with a high res touch screen last year for mobile work. I also carry with me at consultations to hop online or to view galleries. Wonderful machine for PS and LR, solid state top to bottom and a very cool piece of hardware. Running Win10Pro

Apr 11, 2017 at 09:04 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.