New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Waldport Oregon

cdn1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waldport Oregon

Hey all, I'm going on a cruise out of Seattle at the end of May, and when back will be driving down to Waldport Oregon, where I will be staying for 4 nites before flying home. Any suggestions on photography locations, birds and wildlife are my main targets,but im sure landscapes rule the area. I don't mind driving 3 hours one way to shoot.

Thanks in advance...Don

Apr 06, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Mtrctygearhead

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waldport Oregon

Don by chance are you doing an Alaska cruise and If so with what line?

Apr 09, 2017 at 07:14 AM
cdn1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waldport Oregon

Yes, I am doing a Alaska Cruise, going with Princess out of Seattle.

Apr 09, 2017 at 08:10 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waldport Oregon

Since you're staying in Waldport, consider visiting the Oregon Aquarium in Newport. Excellent exhibit to photograph puffins and auks, possibility for nice views of birds in the adjacent estuary, and a nice place to relax if it's not inundated with tour/school groups.

Newport itself offers some nice potential for street photography, there's usually a very noisy group of CA sea lions on the docks around mid-town, the Newport Bridge and fishing boats in the harbor can be wonderful, depending on the light.

If you're willing to drive 3 hours, you can pretty much cover the entire coastline, so pick a couple of places each day to concentrate on. Quick thoughts:
- Devil's Punchbowl: some nice opportunities both shooting down into the punchbowl and shooting southward along the shoreline.
- Yaquina Bay; try the beach late afternoon, shooting back toward the lighthouse and bridge
- Ona Beach: watch for interesting patterns in the sand formed by freshwater draining down the cliffs and meandering out to the ocean.
- Seal Rock, especially at low tide. Here it's not so much about seals as about the rocks, nesting birds, etc.
- Any of the lighthouses in your range. Haceta Head, Yaquina, etc.
- Oregon Dunes outside of Florence. There's also a small Darlingtonia (pitcher plant) grove adjacent to 101 just north of Florence that can be interesting.
- The general area around Cannon Beach and Seaside offers some good coast geology opps, including the "must have" sea stacks at Cannon (probably best at sunset). Ecola State Park is beautiful.

Frankly, I love shooting almost anywhere along the Oregon Coast, especially during the off-season.

Apr 09, 2017 at 10:01 AM
cdn1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waldport Oregon

Thank you very much for the information Abbott. I will be sure to visit some of the location's you have mentioned, they sound great.

Don

Apr 10, 2017 at 07:09 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Waldport Oregon

I second Abbott, Seal Rock is about 10-15 min north of Waldport; Smelt Sands at Yachats - about the same distance south, both spots are very worth the visit. Alsea waterfalls are nice, too, even if not as tall as many others - that's about 1 hour inland. The swamp around Alsea river bay attracts water fowl (in case you are into birds photography).
Heceta Head Lighthouse is probably the most beautiful light in Oregon. Yaquina Head is also very handsome; Yaquina Bay Light is the small one. That's all within ~30 min of driving.
If you do not mind driving for 2 hours, then go to Bandon, especially for the low tide.

Sasha.

Apr 12, 2017 at 01:38 AM
cdn1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Waldport Oregon

Thank you alatoo60, I'll check them out!

Don

Apr 12, 2017 at 02:28 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Waldport Oregon

Can't help you with wildlife. As for landscapes

Cape Perpetua/Thor's Well are mere 15 minutes to the south.

Oregon Dunes is 1 hr south. This time of year it is likely infested by the ATV crowd. Last time I was there (full disclosure - 10+ years ago) the campground at the very southern end of the rec area was tents/campers only and offered peace and solitude year-round, with a nice 1-mile ATV-free hike to the ocean over the dunes

If you go to the Oregon Dunes drive a bit further south to Winchester Bay for lunch, there was an unpretentious eatery at the docks that used to serve THE best blackened snapper I have ever had, fresh off the boat - Sportsman's Cannery and BBQ. Same caveat - 10+ years ago, place still exists.

I believe it was called Sugar Creek, a nice creek a bit off-coast that you can go to on overcast days - is generally in the same area, you will have to Google it.

If you are willing to drive 3 hrs Bandon is within your range. Well shot but can be fun if you have not been there. Samuel Boardman State Park is probably at the edge of what you have said you want to drive.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:48 AM
cdn1
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Waldport Oregon

Thanks Groovygeek, I've heard about Thors Well, your suggestion sparked my memory, I will check it out!

Don

Apr 18, 2017 at 05:04 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Waldport Oregon

Here's a great site for bird shooting locations: http://www.oregoncoastbirding.com

Also William L. Finley NWR is about 1.5 hr drive inland from Waldport. Lots of info on their website.

Heron

Apr 20, 2017 at 02:52 PM
cdn1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Waldport Oregon

Thank you OregonSun, I will check it out!

Don

Apr 23, 2017 at 08:06 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.