New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Stubborn Dust

skinnydipper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stubborn Dust

I have some stubborn dust on my 1DXII sensor which doesn't shift with my Arctic Butterfly. I do have a Lenspen. Would it be safe to use this on the sensor?

Thanks
Mike

Apr 06, 2017 at 04:18 AM
John Daniel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stubborn Dust

No!
You might and will probably scratch your sensor. Visible dust offers liquid products and tools to clean sticky dust and oil. Otherwise, send your camera to a competent store and to Canon for a sensor clean up.

JD

Apr 06, 2017 at 04:39 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stubborn Dust

Do you mean the Lenspen Sensorklear or an actual lenspen? I use the sensorklear II on my cameras all the time without issue

Apr 06, 2017 at 04:43 AM
skinnydipper

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stubborn Dust

dhphoto wrote:
Do you mean the Lenspen Sensorklear or an actual lenspen? I use the sensorklear II on my cameras all the time without issue

Thanks. I mean the Lenspen I bought for cleaning lenses, which it does very well. I thought I'd ask before rushing out and buying something specific for the sensor.

Mike

Apr 06, 2017 at 04:52 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stubborn Dust

skinnydipper wrote:
Thanks. I mean the Lenspen I bought for cleaning lenses, which it does very well. I thought I'd ask before rushing out and buying something specific for the sensor.

Mike

In that case absolutely not. Nor should you ever use canned air, only a blower brush (you probably know that)

The sensorklear II isn't expensive though

Apr 06, 2017 at 05:14 AM
skinnydipper

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stubborn Dust

dhphoto wrote:
In that case absolutely not. Nor should you ever use canned air, only a blower brush (you probably know that)

The sensorklear II isn't expensive though

Thanks for your reply. I'll get the Sensorklear II. Inexpensive, and if that doesn't do the trick I'll think again.

Mike

Apr 06, 2017 at 09:03 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stubborn Dust

I have had great results with the visible dust and orange swabs on my A7r. It came with some welded dust that was an issue at high fstops.

Apr 06, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stubborn Dust

Probably need a "wet-Swab" method.

Info, Pros/Cons:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/the-methods-tools/

Apr 06, 2017 at 10:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stubborn Dust

I agree that the SensorKlear II is worth a try. If it doesn't work, I'd try a wet cleaning. I use VisibleDust Sensor Clean fluid with Sensor Swabs. If the Sensor cleaning fluid doesn't work or leaves a smudge, I'd try ROR with a Sensor Swab. The ROR will dissolve and lift just about anything (on lenses, too, even dried water spots), but there may be a slight film remaining (depending on what was removed), and so you may want to touch up the sensor with another Sensor Clean treatment. I only have to the post-ROR cleaning about one in five times that I use ROR, which is probably about one in five times I do a wet cleaning.

Apr 06, 2017 at 11:35 AM
skinnydipper

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stubborn Dust

Thanks All. I've ordered a SensorKlear II so will give that a go first. If that doesn't work I'll try some swabs.

Cheers
Mike

Apr 06, 2017 at 11:49 AM
skinnydipper

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stubborn Dust

Sy Sez wrote:
Probably need a "wet-Swab" method.

Info, Pros/Cons:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/the-methods-tools/

Thanks - useful link.
Mike

Apr 06, 2017 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.