FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Random: How did you discover FM?

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I was on a week-long bender at a brothel in Northern Nevada. I hadn't been outside for nearly 72 hours. I woke up and turned to my left. Brad was hunched over the radiator, arms limp, with his hair sticking straight up in the air. As I turned back to my right, Anastasia was in the bathroom draining the tub. There was a toaster inside it. She looked over, surprised to see me awake. We both looked down. My belt was on the floor beside my pocketknife.

Anastasia scurried out of the bathroom and grabbed the knife just as I was picking up my belt. She swiped at me, but the brown leather blocked her. She tried again and caught part of my shirt. I ran out of the room, down the hallway and got to the stairs when I felt the knife graze my back. She had thrown it, a glancing blow. I made it outside and found a few people out by the train tracks. There were three of them. One was holding a balloon. I asked them to help, showed them the cut and used their phone to call 911.

It took nearly 15 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. While I waited, hoping I wouldn't bleed out, I watched as the three people skipped around the train tracks. One of them had a camera. The other two held hands... and the balloon. They brought a vintage couch onto the tracks and took photos. It distracted me until the ambulance arrived. Before I left, I asked them their names. The photographer handed me a card, made eye contact and said "Miranda. Fred Miranda." The next 3 days were a whirlwind of emotions and police reports. But I couldn't stop thinking about that photo shoot... Fred saved my life.

It was either that or Google.

Apr 06, 2017 at 05:32 PM
Chris Cooke
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I was selling a bunch of gear though myspace and one of the buyers (friend of a friend) told me about the Buy and Sell boards on here. I checked it out, sold some stuff, bought some stuff. Stumbled upon the Wedding Board and discovered all the amazing talent here. Sam Hassas, Tony Hoffer, Spencer Boreup(sp), Maurice Ramierez, Tiny Water, and noticed Ed Pingol. Realized he was local to me (literally about 5 minutes away) Learned a LOT from him about OCF and have been hooked (mostly lurking) ever since.

Apr 06, 2017 at 11:54 PM
Oscarsmadness
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Random: How did you discover FM?

My cousin recommended me here to learn. She had been a user for a while. I'm glad she did. I've improved my existing techniques and learned so many new ones since I joined. And then the comic relief is great too. Elijah, glort, trenchmonkey, BSPhotog, etc... ad nauseum.

Eventually I started buying stuff from other members. I'd say 80% of my stuff and 100% of my GAS came from the FM hive.

Apr 07, 2017 at 03:15 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Trying to recall, didn't Fred have the best Velvia emulation PS action about 11 years ago? I think that's what brought me here.

Apr 07, 2017 at 04:33 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I was invited by another photographer after another forum/community made major changes, like maybe they started charging a fee or something. Once I found this forum, I never looked back nor did I miss it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:10 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Chris Cooke wrote:
I was selling a bunch of gear though myspace and one of the buyers (friend of a friend) told me about the Buy and Sell boards on here. I checked it out, sold some stuff, bought some stuff. Stumbled upon the Wedding Board and discovered all the amazing talent here. Sam Hassas, Tony Hoffer, Spencer Boreup(sp), Maurice Ramierez, Tiny Water, and noticed Ed Pingol. Realized he was local to me (literally about 5 minutes away) Learned a LOT from him about OCF and have been hooked (mostly lurking) ever since.

Who is Tiny Water? Been here a while and never came across that name.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Sometime in 2004, I was researching digital gear and came across FM from an online search. The forum was a buzz with boards dedicated to all disciplines of photography - except weddings. I PM'd Fred to ask him about it and said he would add a wedding forum if I agreed to moderate it. Lots and lots of water gone under the bridge since then, but now you know the REST of the story.

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:23 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I've been accustomed to using forums while I was in the car scene in the 2000s. When I started picking up interest in photography, I was looking for a similar community/forum to learn as well as buy/sell stuff. I came across two forums, photography-on-the.net and FM. The talent was so much deeper here on FM and very inspiring. As well, people were pretty brutally honest about giving feedback on people's work. It's something I always appreciated (but not always took well)... in which has made me become a better photog.

Keith

Apr 17, 2017 at 08:49 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I'm pretty sure I was looking for a lens review. I was shooting Pentax at the time and wanted to find reviews outside of the various Pentax discussion groups.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I was looking for photography forums/chats to learn and talk about stuff. I found this and digital wedding forum. I quickly left that place and stayed here. Its been great.

Apr 19, 2017 at 02:25 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Steve Tinetti wrote:
Sometime in 2004, I was researching digital gear and came across FM from an online search. The forum was a buzz with boards dedicated to all disciplines of photography - except weddings. I PM'd Fred to ask him about it and said he would add a wedding forum if I agreed to moderate it. Lots and lots of water gone under the bridge since then, but now you know the REST of the story.

Cheers, Steve!

Apr 19, 2017 at 02:49 PM
a2rob
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I believe someone tagged me to join when I was on DPreview, years ago!!

Apr 29, 2017 at 08:01 PM
ahaug
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I used to be active on dpreview until it just got nasty. I googled photo forums and found that fm. After checking it out, I noticed that fm was more civil and the discussions were great. Also, people seemed to be very helpful regardless of the experience less of the poster. Its been great

May 08, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Lanny Mann

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Haha. I discovered this forum when a friend reached out to inform me that our work was being scrutinized in here. I can't remember what it was about (probably shooting too many frames or something). But alas, I enjoy popping in here every now and again with a bag of popcorn.

May 09, 2017 at 04:51 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Its been so long I can't even remember.

May 09, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Trunkmonkee

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Random: How did you discover FM?

It's been a while, but.. when I would google for info on items to buy, reviews, etc, Dpreview always had the detailed review and FM always had the boots-on-the-ground perspective. Some lenses or cameras sounded great in the review, until I read about the experience from you guys (Thanks for saving me piles of $$!)

As I explored FM, I found people who were serious about photography, had great advice, and a great place to buy/sell professional equipment without dealing with coin-flips like Ebetray or Craigislit.

So thank you! I love FM <3

May 13, 2017 at 10:15 PM
dorota.long

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Last year I googled " how to light dark reception" and it took me to an awesome thread where I learned so much. I have been visiting frequently ever since

May 17, 2017 at 01:08 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password