Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Random: How did you discover FM?

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Was thinking back about something today, and I came back to how I originally found FM. I was buying a 24-70 from a local photographer, and he mentioned that if I was looking for other lenses (which I was) that I should check out this specific buy and sell board at an forum. A few months later, I emailed him to ask him what it was, and I poked around the buy/sell for a while. In January of 09, I registered and bought a few things.

I cannot remember how long it took me to get into the wedding page, but I remember being overwhelmed...a lot. I was way out of my league. I am glad I stuck it out, though. I have learned more in here than I can ever track.

Made me curious...how did you stumble into here?

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:45 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I honestly cannot remember. haha

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:17 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Random: How did you discover FM?

hardlyboring wrote:

Ditto. And I've tried to.

Like most things valuable internet, voila, here I R.

37 clicks later.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:18 PM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Came upon FM while searching to buy a body. Only had 1 experience so far purchasing but buyer was stand up and received my 5d mark iii in exceptional quality!

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:19 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I think I stumbled across the site a few times, both looking to buy things and also other random camera gear questions. Eventually I stuck around.

I've been part of some kind of web forum of one sort or another forever. Before here, I spent some time at WoodworkingTalk, but haven't had much time for that lately.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:34 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I can't remember what happened last week let alone 8 years ago.

I do remember I used to spend more time on another forum and rarely looked at this one but the other place which was the forum for a hosting site, put it's prices up dramatically and had a LOT of issues with it's new setup and the forum, as I suspect the clients of that site, fell away to nothing.
The mods there kept telling the dozens of people with issues every day how much better things were and white washing the whole situation that the site had become basically unusable for people as well as expensive till there was pretty much no one left to kid anymore.

I never saw the point of using a hosting site and what was so damn hard about doing your own in the first place so it didn't affect me but it sure up set a lot of people that were previously Loyal clients.

There is also a "Canon" site I was on which was the biggest joke of a forum I have ever seen..... apart from some greenwashed, "Save the planet" type alternative energy forums. They seem to think that the only reasona one would want to be self sufficent or off grid should be to save the world. Tell them you don't car about that, you just want to keep the lights on when the power goes out and they go into full retard. Seriously.

Like the environmental Nazi hangouts, that Canon forum was frequented and run by the biggest group of stoneless pussys I have ever come across. There was only one way to think and that was their way. More like a cult than a forum.

This is certainly one of the best forums I have come across. I don't mind copping a serve from people, it's the fact that someone is able to give me one and have their say that's the important thing without some power tripping mod saying something idiotic like reminding people " It's a family Forum".

Second I see that garbage, I'm gone.

Apr 05, 2017 at 09:16 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Crap! I just realised I was still in my 30's when I joined FM. I'm almost a founding member I've been here that long and yet I still only have 10% as many posts as some.

Damn I'm old.

Gordon

Apr 05, 2017 at 09:26 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I can't remember, to be honest... I'm guessing it was a wedding related search on google from when we were just starting out. Regardless, it was probably the best thing that could have happened for our business- I have learned a TON here. Two pivotal workshop experiences I have had were put on by FM members and they wouldn't have been on my radar if I hadn't seen the way they conducted themselves here and added them on FB.

Thanks Fred!

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:12 PM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Always wanted to be an internet troll.
So google told me this is the place.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/testforum/topic/1385721

Apr 06, 2017 at 01:04 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I do remember very well !, I was coming from the pub with redish cheecks, bubbles coming out of my nose and singing loudly: "I WANT TO BE A GREAT WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER GOD DAMMIT, I WANT TO BE ..." so when I finally got home I fixed myself another drink and ... dammit ! I cant remember but the day after there was this registration confirmation link from FM ! 😀

Apr 06, 2017 at 03:06 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Random: How did you discover FM?

jmraso wrote:
I do remember very well !, I was coming from the pub with redish cheecks, bubbles coming out of my nose and singing loudly: "I WANT TO BE A GREAT WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER GOD DAMMIT, I WANT TO BE ..." so when I finally got home I fixed myself another drink and ... dammit ! I cant remember but the day after there was this registration confirmation link from FM ! 😀

That's how all of your stories start

Edited on Apr 06, 2017 at 10:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2017 at 07:11 AM
imthegasman
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Searching for how to shoot portraits. Found I didn't care for people that much in that setting. Did landscapes for a while, so I stayed on. Then I discovered birds... and my time and money are history. Glad I came.

Apr 06, 2017 at 07:12 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Random: How did you discover FM?

You got me ! 😀

BSPhotog wrote:
That's his all of your stories start

Apr 06, 2017 at 07:21 AM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Random: How did you discover FM?

The Strobist blog pointed me in this direction.

Apr 06, 2017 at 07:22 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I was an early frequenter of the DWF. One day I got feed up with some stuff going over there so I started searching to see if there were other photography boards similar to it and landed here.

Apr 06, 2017 at 08:19 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I don't remember how I discovered it. But I tend to be a big researcher with things that I'm interested in. I probably found it through dpreview.

FM was hands down the most influential resource for me as a young, budding photographer.

Apr 06, 2017 at 09:37 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I think FM is a kind of brand itself in many GOOD aspects !

Apr 06, 2017 at 10:21 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Random: How did you discover FM?

I was here in the gear section asking what an aperture does back in 2005 and if the 50mm 1.8 was worth the $100 investment!

There was an older, awesome concert photographer who was in the People Forum who was the only guy to give me the time of day with my early very shitty photography. Went by the name Sony. I posted in the People forum for 4 years before I came to this forum. I made lots of connections here...shot with the likes of Pat Furey, Evan Baines, Sergio Mottola in my first few weddings. Rest is sort of history!

Apr 06, 2017 at 10:31 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Random: How did you discover FM?

hardlyboring wrote:

daddy brain

Apr 06, 2017 at 10:32 AM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Random: How did you discover FM?

Initially it was via a Google search about something. After a few sporadic visits I began visiting regularly. I've learned a lot here, but what's really been great are the people I've met in person and become friends with over the years.

Apr 06, 2017 at 11:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.