Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

1swt2gs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

I currently own 2 tripods. Really torn on which one to keep and which one to sell. Tripod is mainly used for travel and day trips (carry the tripod hung outside my backpack) throughout the day.

Heaviest of my equipment is 5d mark iii (1.89 lbs) + w/ a 70-200 f2.8 IS II (3.28 lbs). I am 6 feet even.

Total weight of 5d mark iii + 70-200 f2.8 IS II = 5.17 lbs

Most of the time, my 5d mark iii (1.89 lbs) + canon 16-35 f/4 (1.35 lbs) will be on the tripod , which totals to 3.24lbs.

The two tripod in question are listed below with all the specs.

Manfrotto 290 MT294A4 4-section w/ 496rc2 ball head
WEIGHT: 5.12 lbs

manfrotto 290 4 section tripod

Material Aluminum
Leg Cross Section D Shape
Leg Angles 23deg. - 51deg.
Leg Sections 4 Numbers
Closed Length 19.09" / 484.9 mm
Maximum Height 59.45" / 1510.03 mm
Maximum Height (With Center Column Down)51.18" / 1299.9 mm
Minimum Height12.99" / 329.9 mm
Legs Tube Diameter 26. 22.5. 19. 15.5 mm
Load Capacity11.02 lbs / 4.99 kgs
Weight4.19 lbs / 1.9 kgs

496rc2 ball head
specs

Aluminum Construction
Load Capacity: 13.23 lb
Working Height: 3.94"
Weight: 0.93 lb
360° Panning
Head Tilt: +/-90°
Tension Control

Induro clt 104 stealth carbon fiber and Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 XPRO Ball Head
WEIGHT : 4 lbs

induro tripod specs

Load Capacity: 30.9 lb
Max Height: 56.5"
Min Height: 11.4"
Folded Length: 19.7"
Leg Sections: 4
Weight: 2.9 lb
Oversized Center Column Lock
Twist Locks
Short Center Column
Carrying Case

Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 XPRO Ball Head
specs

Load Capacity: 22 lb
Max Height: 4.5"
Weight: 1.1 lb
360° Pan with Independent Pan Lock
Friction Control
Two Bubble Levels
Numbered Panning Scale

Few things to note

1. With the manfrotto tripod and 496rc2 ball head, the tripod is at a little below eye level with the center column all the way down. With the Induro,I would need to raise 2 inches to be at eye level (as mentioned earlier, I am 6 feet even). Is the induro tripod stable enough that the extra 2 inches of the center column raised up? (From my understanding the tripod should always be used with center column down for maximum stability)

2. Obviously the induro and mhxpro ball head is the heftier of the two, being carbon fiber and weighting overall ~1.12 lb less than the manfrotto + 496rc2 ball head while supporting more weight.

3. mxhpro ball head supports 22 lbs on ball head vs 13.23 lbs on the 496rc2 (however, the mxpro ball head is 2-3x the size).

4. induro tripod is rated to support 30.9 lbs as opposed to the manfrotto 290 series at 11.02lbs.

(picture linked on the second post)

Which would you hang on to?

Edited on Apr 05, 2017 at 11:27 AM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2017 at 11:19 AM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

http://i.imgur.com/EPjhcEv.jpg

Apr 05, 2017 at 11:20 AM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

I like having one "heavyweight" for when you have a big lens on or in windy conditions or for doing long exposures and also one lightweight.

If I had to have one, I guess the Induro is best of both worlds at 2.9 lbs. I use my center column slightly raised all the time. As for the ball head, your total gear (camera and lens) weighs about 5 lbs. The rule of thumb on capacity is that you want 2x that so a ball head that supports 13.2 is more than enough.

The stability thing only really applies once you get past the center of the column, say having it 3/4 raised or fully raised. At a couple inches, the unbraced length is so short, that it really makes no difference. I am a structural engineer if that makes you trust me any more. Haha.

For running and gunning, Induro. If you see yourself driving to a location and sitting still all day with your 70-200 mounted, then obviously the heavier of the two would be the choice.

Apr 05, 2017 at 11:34 AM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

rstoddard11 wrote:
I like having one "heavyweight" for when you have a big lens on or in windy conditions or for doing long exposures and also one lightweight.

If I had to have one, I guess the Induro is best of both worlds at 2.9 lbs. I use my center column slightly raised all the time. As for the ball head, your total gear (camera and lens) weighs about 5 lbs. The rule of thumb on capacity is that you want 2x that so a ball head that supports 13.2 is more than enough.

The stability thing only really applies once you get past
...Show more

In terms of the heavyweight, the manfrotto is heavier, but supports significantly less weight compared to the induro combo.

I guess the thing holding me back is the twist locks (I prefer flip), height of tripod (need to extend center column a bit to shoot at eye level), and the increased size of the ballhead.

Apr 05, 2017 at 02:02 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

Carbon fiber model all the way. Weighs less, holds more.

Apr 05, 2017 at 02:07 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

Carbon fiber. Damps vibrations better.

Kent in SD

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:05 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

I have no experience with the Manfrotto, but my "light duty" tripod is the one-series Induro - might be the very one you have - and I really, really like it. You'll have to decide for yourself whether weight or height is more of an issue to you - and if you can live with twist locks. (Which is my preference.) I might be missing something but is there a reason you can't go with the smaller ball head regardless? Good luck!

Edited on Apr 07, 2017 at 09:09 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2017 at 11:02 AM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

Sharona wrote:
I have no experience with the Manfrotto, but my "light duty" tripod is the one-series Induro - might be the very one you have - and I really, really like it. You'll have to decide for yourself whether weight or height is more of an issue to you - and if you can love with twist locks. (Which is my preference.) I might be missing something but is there a reason you can't go with the smaller ball head regardless? Good luck!

Maybe I am not twisting the locks hard enough but the twist lock seems to sag. Have you had any problems like that with your induro tripod?

Kind of scary when you have thousands of dollars of gear on the tripod and it drops a little bit.

In regards to using the other ballhead, I guess it is an option.However, the 496rc2 is a little small and weak for my tastes.

Apr 06, 2017 at 02:13 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

1swt2gs wrote:
Maybe I am not twisting the locks hard enough but the twist lock seems to sag. Have you had any problems like that with your induro tripod?

Kind of scary when you have thousands of dollars of gear on the tripod and it drops a little bit.

In regards to using the other ballhead, I guess it is an option.However, the 496rc2 is a little small and weak for my tastes.

Hi there - No, I have not noticed any issues, but if I'm not walking or if I'm using my heaviest gear, I use my larger RRS tripod. I almost didn't keep the Induro, as the size surprised me at first. But I took it out one really windy day and it worked fine - although it was set up pretty low to the ground, like at about 2 feet. I just love how light it is. But only you can decide what is best for your needs... Just to add that my Induro is actually the 3 section not the 4 section. I'm not sure if that matters with these in terms of stability. I do know several photographers who use Induros and think highly of them.

Apr 07, 2017 at 09:04 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

Sell the Manfrotto and both ball heads.

Apr 07, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Macrogirl

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need advice on which tripod to keep and which to sell?

Agree with jharter. Sell these three items and use the funds to get an arca swiss P0 to go with the induro for an ultra-light but strong setup. I recently put the fully extended MP-e 65mm + focus rail + 5dMkii on the P0 (outdoors) and it was rock solid - a total must for that type of macro where every shudder has huge implications...

Apr 10, 2017 at 06:28 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.