Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              17       18       end

Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
On weight alone, I think the native Batis 135 is the most attractive. (Sure, a stop slower...)
It's about 300 grams lighter than the Canon + smart adapter and even more so than other modern alternatives. That's a main consideration for many shooters especially on the A7 series.

...That's why my pre-order was in moments after they were up (one of the few advantages of my time zone!).
Weight and bulk has been the principal reason I've used various great 135s I've had a lot less than I'd like to have, and why my tiny Zuiko 3.5/135 has had more prime time than I'd prefer. This is the one lens alternative to having a future GM 2/135 for people and a Leica Apo-Telyt for landscape. And SO much cheaper. (But not cheap, I know, and of course you can do very well indeed for less money etc...)

Apr 08, 2017 at 11:12 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

DavidBM wrote:
...That's why my pre-order was in moments after they were up (one of the few advantages of my time zone!).
Weight and bulk has been the principal reason I've used various great 135s I've had a lot less than I'd like to have, and why my tiny Zuiko 3.5/135 has had more prime time than I'd prefer. This is the one lens alternative to having a future GM 2/135 for people and a Leica Apo-Telyt for landscape. And SO much cheaper. (But not cheap, I know, and of course you can do very well indeed for less money etc...)

David, I think that makes a ton of sense and it suits your preferences well. I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I am quite sure I will get the lens for my wife's kit--I shoot almost exclusively manual focus--she shoots almost exclusively autofocus. For her, however, I think a 3 lens kit with the Basis 25 f/2, the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8, and Batis 135 f/2.8 will be perfect for about 90% of the shooting she does and will be her standard kit. It is excellent and still quite portable and covers a wide range. I think these three lenses are pretty similar in what they do--smallish, excellent IQ, decent but not perfect bokeh, and fast AF. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea(it isn't mine) but it suits what she does and I think she will be happy with it which is good for me. I also get the bonus that because this lens is not cheap it doesn't make my purchases look quite so bad .

Apr 09, 2017 at 12:57 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Steven your pulling the old Section 104a in martial bliss. Buy wife more expensive item so you can get whatever you want. Smart bud.

Apr 09, 2017 at 01:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Steve Spencer wrote:
David, I think that makes a ton of sense and it suits your preferences well. I haven't pre-ordered yet, but I am quite sure I will get the lens for my wife's kit--I shoot almost exclusively manual focus--she shoots almost exclusively autofocus. For her, however, I think a 3 lens kit with the Basis 25 f/2, the Sony/Zeiss 55 f/1.8, and Batis 135 f/2.8 will be perfect for about 90% of the shooting she does and will be her standard kit. It is excellent and still quite portable and covers a wide range. I think these three lenses are
...Show more

Good idea Steve! I think I will buy my wife a Hassy X1D! You are a genius.

Apr 09, 2017 at 01:54 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Good idea Steve! I think I will buy my wife a Hassy X1D! You are a genius.

You got it backwards Fred. Keep the X1D for yourself and get the Batis for your wife. That Hassy is the digital Mamiya 7 system.

Apr 09, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

chez wrote:
You got it backwards Fred. Keep the X1D for yourself and get the Batis for your wife. That Hassy is the digital Mamiya 7 system.

Chez, I don't think you get the calculus at least at my house. Getting my wife a Batis would never offset an X1D. I am just hoping that the Batis just makes things not so bad if I get the Fuji GFX that I want. I know very well, however, that there will still be many handbags and many many shoes to offset that purchase. Now Fred's idea is truly genius if I could convince my wife she wanted the GFX, then the shoe/handbag debt would be much smaller. It would still be there but much smaller . The real drawback in my case is I wouldn't be able to touch the GFX as my wife really doesn't like to share her gear much, so the real trick for me is finding gear that is nice and expensive and not something I really want too use much. That's a pretty small list as I am as big of a lens whore as Guy Maybe bigger

Apr 09, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Steve Spencer wrote:
Chez, I don't think you get the calculus at least at my house. Getting my wife a Batis would never offset an X1D. I am just hoping that the Batis just makes things not so bad if I get the Fuji GFX that I want. I know very well, however, that there will still be many handbags and many many shoes to offset that purchase. Now Fred's idea is truly genius if I could convince my wife she wanted the GFX, then the shoe/handbag debt would be much smaller. It would still be there but much smaller . The
...Show more

I just told my wife the Hassy X1D is sexy and very high quality and would fit perfectly on her small hands...
She got really excited when I mentioned her girlfriends would be super jealous!! I think I did it! Thanks Steve!

Apr 09, 2017 at 05:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

I'm getting a few PMs asking about my personal interest on the new Batis 135/2.8 in comparison to other 135mm alternatives and here is my take on it:

--------------

The Sony 135/1.8 "AF" is a shame. Sony should update the LA-EA4 and make it work at least like the Sigma MC-11. However, along with the new Sigma 135/1.8, imo, they are way too heavy with adapters for the A7 series. There are also two terrific 135/2 MF lenses available (Zeiss APO and Sammy) but I really rely on AF for portraits.

I'm using the in-camera crop (1.5x) with my 85/1.4 GM and getting great results at ~135mm field of view. It's more like a 130/2 but bokeh is excellent since the edges get cropped and specular highlights are very rounded even at the very edges. I lose resolution but that's a compromise I'm willing to take with portraits.

My utility for a 135mm fast prime is mainly portraits and ONLY full body portraits. Otherwise I prefer 85mm and use the 85/1.4GM instead. For landscapes, I prefer a telephoto zoom and I have not found anything better than the Contax 100-300, especially for the 100-250mm range.

Here is an example of the Contax 100-300 @135mm wide open (f/4.5). I really don't need any better than this and at f/5.6, it's even better...
http://www.fredmiranda.com/Buzz/135-wide-open.jpg (see full 1:1 size)

Apr 09, 2017 at 08:09 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm getting a few PMs asking about my personal interest on the new Batis 135/2.8 in comparison to other 135mm alternatives and here is my take on it:

--------------

The Sony 135/1.8 "AF" is a shame. Sony should update the LA-EA4 and make it work at least like the Sigma MC-11. However, along with the new Sigma 135/1.8, imo, they are way too heavy with adapters for the A7 series. There are also two terrific 135/2 MF lenses available (Zeiss APO and Sammy) but I really rely on AF for portraits.

I'm using the in-camera crop (1.5x) with my 85/1.4 GM and
...Show more

Fred, that makes sense. I venture to guess that the main reason for Sony not to do it because of the dated AF motor/system of the lens itself. I had that lens for a few years. Optically, it is awesome, well, it has some LoCA issues but it can be fixed and for portraits, it doesn't matter much, if any. Sony has to tweak the optics a bit to reduce the LoCA issue, and more importantly put in a new AF motor/system and the new Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM is born and ready for prime time! As far as I am concerned, Sony can leave the optics just the way they are but a new, noiseless and more efficient AF motor/system is a must, however and make the whole package lighter, please!

Apr 09, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

AGeoJO wrote:
Fred, that makes sense. I venture to guess that the main reason for Sony not to do it because of the dated AF motor/system of the lens itself. I had that lens for a few years. Optically, it is awesome, well, it has some LoCA issues but it can be fixed and for portraits, it doesn't matter much, if any. Sony has to tweak the optics a bit to reduce the LoCA issue, and more importantly put in a new AF motor/system and the new Sony FE 135mm f/1.8 GM is born and ready for prime time! As far as
...Show more

You are probably right it's a lens limitation and not adapter.

Here are some videos from Zeiss about the new 2.8/135 Batis.

Apr 09, 2017 at 11:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
You are probably right it's a lens limitation and not adapter.

Here are some videos from Zeiss about the new 2.8/135 Batis.

Actually both, Fred. A new AF motor will enable the use of an adapter without any SLT mirror, like the LA-EA3 or Metabones, or Sigma MC-11, etc. But a new AF system or some sort of firmware update is needed to get the full AF features offered by the A7r II or A65000.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:10 AM
Cgb628

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:

I just watched this video for the second time now, and my initial reaction is exactly the same as my current one. Zeiss dropped the ball on this video. It feels like Topher spends the entire video defending the lens's weakness instead of playing to its strengths. Instead of saying things like "I didn't have any issue shooting at f/2.8" he could have said "f/2.8 is a great aperture for getting your subject in focus while blurring the background beautifully." A stronger focus on the positives while straight up ignoring the negatives would have been far more effective in my mind.

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:12 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred, that's interesting. I do almost exactely the same as you.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm using the in-camera crop (1.5x) with my 85/1.4 GM and getting great results at ~135mm field of view. It's more like a 130/2 but bokeh is excellent since the edges get cropped and specular highlights are very rounded even at the very edges. I lose resolution but that's a compromise I'm willing to take with portraits.

I use the 1.4/85 GM as a 2/128 GM equivalent with my A6500. 24 brilliant Megapixels and the unique 1.4/85 GM look in an acceptably sized package for that specification. AF speed is limited by the lens (FE 1.8/85 is faster) but still pretty fast and definitely fast enough for most situations.

Fred Miranda wrote:
My utility for a 135mm fast prime is mainly portraits and ONLY full body portraits. Otherwise I prefer 85mm and use the 85/1.4GM instead. For landscapes, I prefer a telephoto zoom and I have not found anything better than the Contax 100-300, especially for the 100-250mm range.

I also use the Contax 100-300 for all the landscape stuff and even for close ups and animal shots. The bokeh of this lens is the best of every lens in the 70/100-300 range.

I found the Contax 100-300 to be stunningly sharp, especially at 135mm. It's even very sharp at 300mm although the corners show lateral CA's there.

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:55 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Cgb628 wrote:
I just watched this video for the second time now, and my initial reaction is exactly the same as my current one. Zeiss dropped the ball on this video. It feels like Topher spends the entire video defending the lens's weakness instead of playing to its strengths. Instead of saying things like "I didn't have any issue shooting at f/2.8" he could have said "f/2.8 is a great aperture for getting your subject in focus while blurring the background beautifully." A stronger focus on the positives while straight up ignoring the negatives would have been far more effective in my
...Show more

I totally agree with you. The photographer may be talented but his testimony/description is very defensive and biased.

Apr 11, 2017 at 02:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Jannik Peters wrote:
Fred, that's interesting. I do almost exactely the same as you.

I use the 1.4/85 GM as a 2/128 GM equivalent with my A6500. 24 brilliant Megapixels and the unique 1.4/85 GM look in an acceptably sized package for that specification. AF speed is limited by the lens (FE 1.8/85 is faster) but still pretty fast and definitely fast enough for most situations.

I also use the Contax 100-300 for all the landscape stuff and even for close ups and animal shots. The bokeh of this lens is the best of every lens in the 70/100-300 range.

I found the Contax
...Show more

That's exact my set up. The Contax VS 100-300 is my go-to telephoto landscape lens whenever the ZM 85 is too short.
In the past, I have used 135mm primes for landscape but find myself using 100, 200 and 300mm quite often which makes a high quality zoom more desirable for my needs.

The VC 100-300 is very hard to beat in color, contrast and resolution even against the native Sony tele zooms. I highly recommend this lens!
My copy is sharp to the edges wide open at 100-150mm.
200mm needs f/5.6 for crisply edges and 300mm needs f/8 which is not an issue for landscapes.

Apr 11, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Fred Miranda wrote:
The VC 100-300 is very hard to beat in color, contrast and resolution even against the native Sony tele zooms. I highly recommend this lens!
200mm needs f/5.6 for crisply edges and 300mm needs f/8 which is not an issue for landscapes.

I have to check my aperture series. I took them already but didn't have time to evaluate them properly so far. It's an really impressive piece of glass, especially regarding it's age. The FE 4/70-200 or 70-300 don't even come close in terms of sharpness.

Apr 11, 2017 at 02:34 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

My local shop in Stockholm (Sweden) said they got mid-May for the first batch delivery of the Batis 135 (although they have serious doubts that will actually happen).

Apr 11, 2017 at 02:57 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

I was hoping this would be a travel 135mm, but I'll stick with my 135/3.4 APO Telyt for now due to cost, size, and weight.

Great to have 135mm choices!

Apr 11, 2017 at 03:26 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

They also only have one pre-order at the moment. They are pretty big, probably the biggest in the country.

Apr 11, 2017 at 05:39 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Reduced: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,899)

Out of curiosity, which adapter are you or others using for CY mount to E mount?

Thanks!

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's exact my set up. The Contax VS 100-300 is my go-to telephoto landscape lens whenever the ZM 85 is too short.
In the past, I have used 135mm primes for landscape but find myself using 100, 200 and 300mm quite often which makes a high quality zoom more desirable for my needs.

200mm needs f/5.6 for crisply edges and 300mm needs f/8 which is not
...Show more

Apr 11, 2017 at 06:15 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password