Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       end

Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

If any one is interested I've written a review of the Batis 135 over at Phillip Reeve's blog
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/

May 30, 2017 at 04:21 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Thank you David! Very useful review.

May 30, 2017 at 08:13 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Fred Miranda wrote:
I agree with that. If the background is close to the subject (Like 1 or 2m), f/2 and f/2.8 would not make too much of a difference in the amount of blur.
The faster lens really starts to pull ahead when the background is a bit more further way.

Also depends on distance from camera to subject. The above shots would be quite different with ZA 135. It has a quicker transition from focus to OOF and it draws the OOF parts less strongly than the parts in the focus plane making the subject pop more and have more 3-d. Kind of like the difference between zf/ze 100/2 MP and C/Y 100/2P.
The ZA 135 has much more of the medium format look than this $2000 lens. But is too heavy for some.

May 30, 2017 at 08:54 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

BTW, the 135 f2 sonnar has the more strongly drawn type of bokeh too and why I still like ZA 135 better.
I think this is the compromise you pay in terms of having more correction to rid the LoCA which the ZA has a little.
Maybe take a look at Charles K's excellent portraits with the ZA to see the difference.

May 30, 2017 at 02:32 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Based on posted images, the CZ AS135/2 has edgier bokeh and more defocus fringing than the Rokinon 135/2, if slightly. Even with Sigma and CZ Batis entering the fray, I still claim that Samyang is the 135mm King. As a CZ fanatic, I find that hard to admit. The Golden Era of Optics unfolds.

May 30, 2017 at 02:42 PM
ediblestarfish

p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Not sure about anyone else, but I can barely tell the difference between the lenses at reasonable viewing sizes and distances. Perhaps not relevant to a gear section of the forum, but I think the available 135mm lenses all look great to me, no matter your preference.

Side to side I need to double or triple check the differences by measuring the the bokeh circles, which to me is kind of asinine, as such scrutiny is rarely what I find makes a photo interesting to begin with. (I'm not looking at the subject as I first was, but the background instead, to check for technical merits--very unnatural to me.)

In my opinion, they are all technically good enough in the optics department that l start looking at other factors such as usability. Eye-AF, stabilization, reduced weight and bulk...

I find as I learn more, there's other ways that can be combined to isolate a subject rather than just decreasing the DoF a bit more with faster lenses. Complimentary colors, contrasting values, interesting juxtapositions, etc can be added when available to produce more attraction to a subject. With the end picture being the total sum, the bokeh and shallow DoF seem to be a fractional compositional area that gets attention out of proportion to its place and function.

At least to me it seems that way.

May 30, 2017 at 04:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bluloo
• • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

DavidBM wrote:
If any one is interested I've written a review of the Batis 135 over at Phillip Reeve's blog
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/

That was excellent.

May 30, 2017 at 05:03 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

bluloo wrote:
That was excellent.

It is a very nice review, but since the Batis was compared to some other lenses for size it would have been nice to see image comparisons to go along with the shots from the Batis. Hopefully this is in the works.

May 30, 2017 at 06:51 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

The ZA 135/1.8 did not even make the alternatives section in the review although it has AF and is lighter than the APO Sonnar and Sigma 135.

May 30, 2017 at 09:16 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

wayne seltzer wrote:
The ZA 135/1.8 did not even make the alternatives section in the review although it has AF and is lighter than the APO Sonnar and Sigma 135.

I think the ZA is likely a good alternative; but I didn't list anything that we didn't have some first had experience with.

May 30, 2017 at 10:32 PM
ediblestarfish

p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

I'm not sure there is really a direct alternative to this lens, particularly as a E mount native. It's a bit bulky, but it's really hardly any bigger than the Batis 85mm with both hoods removed. It's also strangely light in feeling, even though it is not lightweight. Feels good on my A7RII without being too forward heavy to me. However it's at the very upper limit for what I'd carry on a hobby shoot instead of a paid shoot.

I find the ergonomics overall more pleasant than the Batis 85mm, as there's more room on the focus ring. The Batis design with no hard edges to put pressure on your hands feels good when supporting it.

The eye AF works fine, the optical stabilization feels as good as the 85mm despite being a longer FL. I'm not much of a manual focus person with my fuzzy sight, but I find it works okay in a pinch with the camera focusing aids. The lack of hard stops is about all that feels off to me.

The 2.8 aperture is fine for my uses. DoF is more than shallow enough for head shots, upper body. Full body, it feels sufficient, but not great. Coming from 5 years of micro 4/3 cameras though, it still feels liberating to have even this 'limited' shallow DoF on demand.

More though, I like the flattened perspective, which has that cinematic quality. It's a pretty result, and I am now looking for any excuse to use this 135mm FL. Overall, relatively pleased despite the high fee (I got it for about US$1800 new).

May 31, 2017 at 05:12 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password