Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              17       18       end

Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

timde

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Well its interesting. I found the Batis 18 a bit expensive, but I got over that in a day This time I'm not so sure. Once you start spending that kind of money, the alternatives, such as the Milvus 135/2 or the Leica APO Telyt 135 also become interesting. And all the other adaptable lenses.

I wanted to replace my Sony 70200F4 ... with something lighter. Lets see.

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:33 PM
chuck77
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Don't forget that you gain autofocus with this compared to the 135/2 APO. I have the APO and love it, even though it's not the easiest lens to use. The image quality is simply out of this world.

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:46 PM
virtualrain
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Jman13 wrote:
Nah, the 70-200 GM is $2600, and the 24-70 is more expensive as well. Still, a really, really high price for a 135/2.8. Early reviews say it's apochromatic and tack sharp corner to corner at f/2.8, with great bokeh...But still..Can't see me ever dropping 2K on a 135/2.8.

I think it sets a new bar for FE primes. Especially for a slow f/2.8 prime. If it was f/2 or f/1.8 this price would be high but more justifiable.

Price aside, it's a strange product mix of trade-offs. I may be wrong but most people shooting a 135 are likely shooting people and value subject isolation and back ground obliteration over corner sharpness and CA correction. To put optical performance across the frame ahead of subject isolation (max aperture) is a bizarre decision in my opinion. In effect, I think dreamy over clinical would win more customers.

I think they could have sold some to folks looking for a small light 135 but then they would have been better off to offer a faster max aperture with poor corner performance and maybe even moderate CA at a $1500 price point.

As it is, this is an expensive lens that doesn't really meet the optical needs of most 135 shooters.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

virtualrain wrote:
I think it sets a new bar for FE primes. Especially for a slow f/2.8 prime. If it was f/2 or f/1.8 this price would be high but more justifiable.

Price aside, it's a strange product mix of trade-offs. I may be wrong but most people shooting a 135 are likely shooting people and value subject isolation and back ground obliteration over corner sharpness and CA correction. To put optical performance across the frame ahead of subject isolation (max aperture) is a bizarre decision in my opinion. In effect, I think dreamy over clinical would win more customers.

I think
...Show more

135mm at f/1.8 produces very thin dof making it difficult to achieve focus in both model's eyes depending on distance.
It's definitely a look having only the eye's retina in focus but in many cases, f/2.8 is desired whenever the background can be controlled.
If the Batis 135/2.8 is indeed superb wide-open, there will be many applications benefiting from it including portraits.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:14 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

While I subscribe, there have been times that I've dissed dlloyd for some of his obnoxious commentary/attitude - but his review is up for the Batis 135.

His images show some amazing results for this lens. The images, and his commentary, confirm that the "APO" label is more than deserved (he claims there's only one other lens that may be better color-corrected). He also states the Batis 135 is pretty much perfect wide-open and stopping down is only for DoF.

Edited on Apr 05, 2017 at 06:56 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:29 PM
Luvwine
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Fred Miranda wrote:
135mm at f/1.8 produces very thin dof making it difficult to achieve focus in both model's eyes depending on distance.
It's definitely a look having only the eye's retina in focus but in many cases, f/2.8 is desired whenever the background can be controlled.
If the Batis 135/2.8 is indeed superb wide-open, there will be many applications benefiting from it including portraits.

I agree but the caveats for me are that the faster aperture gives more flexibility on blurring backgrounds at longer distances to subject (as you hint at with your "depending on distance" comment). It is doubtless going to be a great lens, just not to me an ideal portrait lens due to F 2.8 aperture and slightly swirly bokeh in some instances,. It is also a bit larger than necessary as a pure landscape lens. it is a great compromise between size and capabilities and it will do it all very well. It just may be not as good as a future GM 135/2 for portraits or as small as a slower manual focus lens for landscapes.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:30 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Aren't most (all?) current fast 135s superb when stopped down to 2.8?

My $400 Samyang 135 f/2 is impressive optically even when wide open. I'm sure someone will be buying this, but if I drank coffee I would have spit it all over my monitor when I saw the price tag.

I guess this is what happens when pixel peeping is the name of the game and we desperately need flawless corner sharpness wide open with no aberrations anywhere.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:31 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

I think we all knew it would be a great lens...still does not negate it's high price tag.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:34 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

formula4speed wrote:
Aren't most (all?) current fast 135s superb when stopped down to 2.8?

My $400 Samyang 135 f/2 is impressive optically even when wide open. I'm sure someone will be buying this, but if I drank coffee I would have spit it all over my monitor when I saw the price tag.

I guess this is what happens when pixel peeping is the name of the game and we desperately need flawless corner sharpness wide open with no aberrations anywhere.

Exactly...and a fast lens gives you one more degree of freedom when shooting in dark locations such as concert halls or theaters where I mostly use my 135L. The Batis is definitely specialized for portraits which interest me little as I use 85mm for portraits.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:37 PM
sids911

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

"If Sigma can get away with asking $1400, we are ZEISS!!" - It looks to me they almost did not want to price anywhere near the Sigma 135mm lens.

Their Milvus 135 is also an expensive lens at $2200 which is a MF, does anyone know how different Batis is in terms of optical construction, from the Milvus?

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MikeEvangelist
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

sids911 wrote:
Their Milvus 135 is also an expensive lens at $2200 which is a MF, does anyone know how different Batis is in terms of optical construction, from the Milvus?

But the Milvus, is 2.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:41 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

He is also a Zeiss ambassador or whatever you call these folks. Outside my personal feelings towards his reviews which are not good. I do believe this lens will be really good wide open. For me some gigs I can barely get away with F2.8 so stopping down a stop is not a option. So this lens for me has to be outstanding here. It be the real reason I would spend the money. Outside size weight price one wonders about the Sigma in my case. That extra stop plus means something to me at least.

ecarlino wrote:
While I subscribe, there have been times that I've dissed dlloyd for some of his obnoxious commentary/attitude - but his review is up for the Batis 135.

His images show some amazing results for this lens. His commentary confirms that the "APO" label is more than deserved (he claims there's only one other lens that may be better color-corrected). He also states the Batis 135 is pretty much perfect wide-open and stopping down is only for DoF.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:41 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

sids911 wrote:

i know we're already on page 2, but that info is on page 1 of this thread.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:45 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

GMPhotography wrote:
He is also a Zeiss ambassador or whatever you call these folks.

totally agree, which is why i tried to emphasize what i saw from his images, although i referenced his commentary (take that with a pound of salt)

he has a bunch of night shots where there are light bulbs (both in focus and out of focus) vs a pitch black sky that really show off this lens.

Also, ZERO onion rings, minimal cats eye (only at edges/corners), haven't seen any of the swirl i hated about the batis 85

Edited on Apr 05, 2017 at 07:25 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:47 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

The Canon 135L is and always has been an absolutely phenomenal lens, and can be had for under $700 these days.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Parariss
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Video review by Matt Granger said he had trouble with nailing AF on moving subjects with this lens on an a7rii (and suggested newer cameras might be better), so he had tended to shoot things that weren't moving around a lot. Whatever you may think of him and his reviews, that struck me as a striking concession, coming from a Zeiss Ambassador. If true, that could be a real impediment for a lot of prospective buyers. One of the major selling points of the lens is that it's native, implying superior quality AF.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:07 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

Parariss wrote:
Video review by Matt Granger said he had trouble with nailing AF on moving subjects with this lens on an a7rii (and suggested newer cameras might be better), so he had tended to shoot things that weren't moving around a lot. Whatever you may think of him and his reviews, that struck me as a striking concession, coming from a Zeiss Ambassador. If true, that could be a real impediment for a lot of prospective buyers. One of the major selling points of the lens is that it's native, implying superior quality AF.

i caught that myself and wondered about the a7r2 (which i'm totally satisfied with) and upcoming mark3 b/c he said the AF on the a6500 with the Batis 135 was fantastic (so he was saying it was more the camera and not so much the lens). i've never felt inhibited by the a7r2, but i don't shoot fast moving subjects that much - but i'm intrigued by the potential for a mark3 and the AF system (and overall speed from a new LSI chip) are what i'm most looking forward to evaluating.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:11 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

ISO1600 wrote:
The Canon 135L is and always has been an absolutely phenomenal lens, and can be had for under $700 these days.

Yep, that is what I use and love everything about the lens except it's not native to Sony and it's weight.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:14 PM
Luvwine
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

ecarlino wrote:
totally agree, which is why i tried to emphasize what i saw from his images, although i referenced his commentary (take that with a pound of salt)

he has a bunch of night shots where there are light bulbs (both in focus and out of focus) vs a pitch black sky and i've never seen anything like it.

Also, ZERO onion rings, minimal cats eye (only at edges/corners), haven't seen any of the swirl i hated about the batis 85

in a lot of ways (it's still early), it's starting to feel a lot like it would be a great big-brother to my
...Show more

I found some bokeh examples I did not love here:

http://www.verybiglobo.com/zeiss-batis-apo-sonnar-135mm-f2-8-lens-review/7/

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:24 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Pre-order: Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 APO ($1,999)

ecarlino wrote:

he has a bunch of night shots where there are light bulbs (both in focus and out of focus) vs a pitch black sky and i've never seen anything like it.

in a lot of ways (it's still early), it's starting to feel a lot like it would be a great big-brother to my
...Show more

It won't sell in high volume, but I like the features you've outlined here, though I haven't perused any images from the lens myself. My current favorite lens in this range is the Zeiss 100 MP. While it's resolution is excellent across the frame even at f/2, I rarely use it below f/2.8 because of the axial CA, and for landscapes I typically stop down to f/5.6. If this lens is truly diffraction limited either near wide open or by f/4, with the perks of zero onion rings, negligible cat's eye bokeh, lighter weight, AF, OIS, it will be hard to resist. I still need to get a feel for the transitions for portrait distances, but it seems it could be a winner.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:25 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password