New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Philadelphia Waterworks

digitaldudek

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Philadelphia Waterworks

Looking for feedback on this image, all critiques welcome. Depending on the screen, I've found I either like the image or hate it.

IMG_9332

Apr 04, 2017 at 01:15 PM
roshambo123
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Philadelphia Waterworks

The variety of architecture here is what interests me most. The light seems to be the right type of light, but I'm not sure the sun's position in the sky is exactly perfect to cast the the hard shadows needed to balance the composition from this perspective. The big rectangular shadow above the roman arch complicates things.

I feel like this wants to work as a flattened plane but the railing on the far left disturbs this. I want to crop that out, but it then creates a balance problem between the windows on the bottom of the frame and the buildings on the top. So I'm not sure you can fix this with a crop.

Apr 04, 2017 at 05:19 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Philadelphia Waterworks

I like it other than the guy which bright blue shirt which is distracting.

Apr 04, 2017 at 10:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Philadelphia Waterworks

This is an interesting place. In some ways, too interesting. There are many areas to go to, making the scene a bit jumbled and busy. The pedestrians, certainly unavoidable, add to scale but clutter.
I think the image works better simplified to its architectural elements, geometries, repeating lines, leading lines. I like the lead in on the left.
A quick and dirty clone out of the pedestrian left edge, BW conversion with some shadow recovery and minor tweaks to distill down the elements. The clone job is certainly not acceptable and needs tweaks, but is meant to illustrate how it might look with the pedestrian removed.

I can imagine a series of images from this location, mixing the broader, inclusive overview you have provided, with some more segmented compositions highlighting fewer elements.

Scott

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:22 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Philadelphia Waterworks

I think Scott has done a serviceable job at reducing the number of distractions in the scene, especially with the mono choice.

The two main issues I have with the shot is that I'm unsure of the message being conveyed and that the strong lines (in green) in play for this image are all pointing to a spot where there is little visual payload (circled in red).

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Apr 06, 2017 at 10:25 AM
digitaldudek

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Philadelphia Waterworks

Thanks everyone for all the advice, definitely going to take it all in and try to improve this over the weekend. Thanks again for all the insight!

Apr 06, 2017 at 01:15 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.