New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Ice Queen

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ice Queen

This is a conceptual shot that I'd been planning for months. It features my high school senior ambassadors in gowns borrowed from a high-end dress shop in the area. Some special effects were applied by a friend/artist Jason Lajka. The picture of the cave, while not really seen well here due to all the effects, was shot by Susanne Schroeder, and the castle and snowy landscape was purchased on iStock. The shot of the Ice Queen was by me in my studio against a chromakey background. Originally, I planned to shoot the ice cave myself but the winter was so mild this year, it just never got cold enough.

I didn't want this to be a realistic photograph. It's meant to be fantasitical, and that's why we went with the colors we went with, and the effects. I have a number of different versions of this with my seven ambassadors, but thought I'd share this one.

Comments always welcome.

http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2855/33799697176_b9f3ac19fb_b.jpg

Apr 04, 2017 at 01:03 PM
gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ice Queen

I think the composition, lighting, and makeup are fantastic.

With this much effort, I find the pose stiff and boring, I'd love to see more from the set.

Greg

Apr 04, 2017 at 11:23 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ice Queen

Nice job my only nit is the shadows her shadow is one direction while the shadows of the cave is in the opposite direction

Apr 05, 2017 at 05:55 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ice Queen

I'm amazed at the wide range of concepts you present here. From innovative reality to fantasy it's like lifting a curtain to open your posts.

I suspect on their way to a shoot your ambassadors speculate "What will we do today?"

Great shot!

Charles

Apr 05, 2017 at 12:04 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ice Queen

Great concept! Love the fantasy and is probably very popular with your subjects. I might like to see more tonal contrast between your brightly lit subject (and light dress) with the bright, inner rim of the cave. Maybe a lavender dress might also help to separate her from her surroundings a bit more. I do like the way the light purple hues blend in with all the aqua.

Apr 05, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ice Queen

gheller wrote:
I think the composition, lighting, and makeup are fantastic.

With this much effort, I find the pose stiff and boring, I'd love to see more from the set.

Greg

My thoughts on both counts.

Apr 05, 2017 at 04:21 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ice Queen

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Apr 06, 2017 at 08:47 AM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ice Queen

I'm just not a big fan of this background. While I like the concept, the background is just too cartoonish for me and detracts from what is a powerful portrait.

Drop her into this ice cave shot I took while in iceland.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Iceland/i-74q4RSW/0/L/22015-34-L.jpg

Apr 06, 2017 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.