New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

munzir.khan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

is it possible to mount monopod directly to the factory foot on 600mm IS II? or you need RRS/KIRK etc?

Thanks
Munzir

Apr 04, 2017 at 02:11 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

Sure, it does have the 3/8 mounting hole. I would prefer the RRS but it can be done.

Apr 04, 2017 at 05:09 AM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

munzir.khan wrote:
is it possible to mount monopod directly to the factory foot on 600mm IS II? or you need RRS/KIRK etc?

Thanks
Munzir

Mounting it directly will not give you the up and down tilt flexibility. I'm sure you have your reasons, but I can't see why you would want to do it that way. The RRS MH-01 is a monopod ARCA head that provides for tilt, but would require an ARCA plate on your tripod foot or a replacement foot. The Sirui L-10 is an MH-01 knock off and is every bit as good as the MH-01 for much less than 1/2 the cost of the RRS.

Apr 04, 2017 at 09:21 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

Yes, you can mount it directly. I did this for a few football games and immediately knew I needed more flexibility - not necessarily for the up/down but the sliding back and forth for balancing and hand placement, so I purchased the Kirk Quick Release Monopod Head. Also, leaning the monopod back with that lens on it may cause the monopod to kick out on you. Just something to think about.

Apr 04, 2017 at 09:29 AM
daleg
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

munzir.khan wrote:

Thanks
Munzir

For the 600/4 IS II - here's what I consider a solid, rigid solution for long glass on a monopod:

there's a "double 90degree clamp" - relatively inexpensive - at ~$30.

mount a QR plate to the screw on top of your monopod and attach the horizontal clamp of the above to the plate.

you then have a vertical clamp - into which you can insert a Wimberley Sidekick - which will then be rigidly attached to your 'pod.

Mounting your lens plate to the Sidekick provides controlled tilt only in the vertical axis. you can pan by rotating the monopod.

try it, it's solid and it works well.

Dale

I'd suggest the Sirui P-326 or, if funds permit, the Gitzo GM5561T monopods. Both are CF, the Gitzo is the stronger. If you can find a reasonably priced used Sidekick (under $200) - that would be the cheapest "acceptable" (my subjective view) solution. If not, the Really Right Stuff monopod head (not a ball head) would be my second (more expensive) choice - it's the MH-01 - maybe with the RRS lever clamp. Don't bother with cheaper monopod heads - your lens is way too valuable to chance using them.

Apr 04, 2017 at 10:24 AM
munzir.khan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

daleg wrote:
For the 600/4 IS II - here's what I consider a solid, rigid solution for long glass on a monopod:

there's a "double 90degree clamp" - relatively inexpensive - at ~$30.

mount a QR plate to the screw on top of your monopod and attach the horizontal clamp of the above to the plate.

you then have a vertical clamp - into which you can insert a Wimberley Sidekick - which will then be rigidly attached to your 'pod.

Mounting your lens plate to the Sidekick provides controlled tilt only in the vertical axis. you can pan by rotating the monopod.

try it, it's
...Show more

I opted already for GM5561T ... thanks for feedback

Munzir

Apr 05, 2017 at 01:31 AM
munzir.khan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

Thanks all for your valuable input

Apr 05, 2017 at 01:32 AM
munzir.khan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

one last question can you lug on shoulder 600mm IS II with MH-01 or Sirui L-10 ballhead ... ? i am going with Gitzo 5561T?

Many thanks

Apr 05, 2017 at 01:43 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

I tried to put my camera on a Cullmann monopod but found it cumbersome when tilting. At the time RRS did not make tilt heads but recommended a Manfrotto and I got one of those and fitted it with an Arca type clamp.

This is the one. I guess that you might like something sturdier for your 600mm though:

http://www.better-digital-photo-tips.com/images/Manfrotto-swivel-monopod-tilt-head.jpg

Apr 05, 2017 at 01:56 AM
daleg
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

artificialyello wrote:
I tried to put my camera on a Cullmann monopod but found it cumbersome when tilting. At the time RRS did not make tilt heads but recommended a Manfrotto and I got one of those and fitted it with an Arca type clamp.

This is the one. I guess that you might like something sturdier for your 600mm though:

http://www.better-digital-photo-tips.com/images/Manfrotto-swivel-monopod-tilt-head.jpg

================

reply:

that head - a Manfrotto 234 (also modified by Kirk as arca-swiss compatible, & sold as their MPA-1) is rated to hold something like 4 lbs. (EDIT: actually rated at 5.5 lbs. link below):

link to original kirk/manfrotto monopod head

less than the weight of a 600/4.

imho, don't do it. bad idea. maybe ok for a 70-200/4 - but that's about it. I have one (manfrotto-kirk head). it's an ok head - good up to a point - but it cannot handle heavy glass.

Edited on Apr 05, 2017 at 08:13 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:47 AM
daleg
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

munzir.khan wrote:
one last question can you lug on shoulder 600mm IS II with MH-01 or Sirui L-10 ballhead ... ? i am going with Gitzo 5561T?

Many thanks

Can you? perhaps.

Should you? think about it.

The 600/4 IS Mk II weights 8.64 lbs. and the original 600/4 IS weights 11.83 lbs. - not counting hood, coats, caps, an any other attachments, etc.

The cheapest replacement costs (new) for a 600 Mk II is about $10,400.

And you want to dangle this optical treasure attached to a single connection clamp, on the end of a monopod? Shiver, shudder, shake.

Personally, I'm not real comfortable lugging a lens of that value like a Bindle Stick.

YMMV, maybe.

Apr 05, 2017 at 06:58 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

artificialyello wrote:

daleg wrote:
================

reply:

that head - a Manfrotto 234 (also modified by Kirk as arca-swiss compatible, & sold as their MPA-1) is rated to hold something like 4 lbs.

WAY less than the weight of a 600/4.

imho, don't do it. bad idea. maybe ok for a 70-200/4 - but that's about it. I have one (manfrotto-kirk head). it's an ok head - good up to a point - but it cannot handle heavy glass.

I was commenting on the handling of the monopod and shared my solution. I also recommended the OP to consider a sturdier head for the heavy lens in question.

One have to remember though that a monopod don't really carry the gear but is a balance aid.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:01 AM
daleg
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

munzir.khan wrote:

Many thanks

from a recent shoot - last 3 or 4 months - I could not lock down my 1DX2 with a 24-70/2.8 on my L-10. sadly it just wouldn't lock down (meaning that the head could not maintain the lens at the selected angle - the camera/lens would sag after being set/tightened). it made for a very frustrating product shoot - hours of cussing the head.

that night, after more searching, I learned that Sirui now makes a beefier L-20 monopod head - with sturdier specifications. So, I would not recommend the L-10 for use with a 600mm.

That's when I added the RRS MH-01 w/B2 AS II clamp - as I didn't want to use a sidekick or gimbal head in studio (not expecting birds in flight - at least of the winged type).

the "proper" solution, as I've been taught, is a pricier geared head. perhaps someday.

Apr 05, 2017 at 07:08 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

Yes, but it would be far more convenient and balanced to use a heavy tilt head + quick release plate. Screwing the lens directly into a monopod guarantees it will be slightly off balance as you tilt it to target your subject, and a quick release plate makes transport much easier.

Apr 05, 2017 at 12:25 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

hotdog12 wrote:
Yes, but it would be far more convenient and balanced to use a heavy tilt head + quick release plate. Screwing the lens directly into a monopod guarantees it will be slightly off balance as you tilt it to target your subject, and a quick release plate makes transport much easier.

Using a long plate on the lens makes it easier to balance. I live more at the wide end but this is my Schneider 360/5.5:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/bootf3l5l643rhj/schneider360.jpg

Apr 05, 2017 at 12:42 PM
EA6B
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

I've used a 400 2.8 that way many times!

Apr 05, 2017 at 12:47 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

munzir.khan wrote:

Many thanks

I can't vouch personally for those you listed, but as I stated I shoot football and throw the 600II over my shoulder throughout the game and walk up and down the sideline with the kirk. We sports photographers carry big lenses (300, 400, 500 and 600s) over our shoulders using a monopod and one mounting point all day long. Just make sure it's a quality unit - Kirk, RRS etc.

Sports Photographer

Sports Photographers

Edited on Apr 05, 2017 at 10:48 PM · View previous versions

Apr 05, 2017 at 09:48 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

Munzir, today it is very uncommon to see anyone keep the original Canon foot on "big white" lenses. One of the first things people do upon their lens delivery is to install a replacement foot which are made to fit the Arca-Swiss clamp system.
I personally consider Canon's stock feet as a waste of good metal.

For 600 MarkII I recommend the 4th Generation Designs' CP-61b replacement foot, or if you can not get that one, their newer CRX-5L foot also looks pretty good.

Now, when it comes to mounting the lens on a monopod, the traditional way is to do it rigidly, by having an Arca-Swiss clamp screwed onto the monopod bolt, and then the lens foot is tightened in the clamp.

People who wish to have a broader range of lens tilt, install an articulating head onto the monopod, and then again, the lens foot is secured in the head clamp.
RRS and Kirk make good articulating monopod heads.

One of my inexpensive monopods has the Kirk head on it permanently. I use that monopod when I anticipate I will need a wide range of lens tilting. Other than in cases like those, I prefer my lenses to be rigidly mounted on another monopod I have.

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · canon 600mm IS II monopod direct mounting

PetKal wrote:
I personally consider Canon's stock feet as a waste of good metal...

I agree and I don't even consider mounting a plate to the stock foot at all, although I am forced to sometimes use a plate on the 300 2.8IS v1. If anyone has a suggestion for the 300 let me know. I personally use the low profile foot for the 600.

Apr 05, 2017 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.