FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Tunnel View and Stars

kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tunnel View and Stars

I spent Saturday night in Yosemite, hoping my calculations were correct and I'd see a horizontal Milky Way rising over the valley between 2am and 3am. I shot the foreground as the moon was setting and then shot star trails (second photo) while waiting for the MW. Any thoughts are welcome.

Milky Way over Tunnel View (Canon 5DSR and Rokinon 14/2.4)

Star Trails over Tunnel View (Canon 6D and Rokinon 14/2.4)

Edited on Apr 04, 2017 at 11:10 AM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2017 at 11:35 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tunnel View and Stars

Hey Kyle,

The star trails one doesn't work for me really. I usually shoot star trails too, but for me at least, they rarely end up appealing to me.

But with that said, I do like #1 with the Milky Way. The ground layer has been kept pretty dark as keeping with a night shot, the hint of light from the moon worked well.

Good work on the calcs.

Jim

Apr 03, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Devon Spencer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tunnel View and Stars

Very cool. I was there the same time except k Trekker up to Yosemite Falls in hopes of getting a different composition.

Apr 03, 2017 at 12:17 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tunnel View and Stars

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kyle,

The star trails one doesn't work for me really. I usually shoot star trails too, but for me at least, they rarely end up appealing to me.

But with that said, I do like #1 with the Milky Way. The ground layer has been kept pretty dark as keeping with a night shot, the hint of light from the moon worked well.

Good work on the calcs.

Jim

Thanks Jim - I don't love star trails either, but it was the best idea I could come up with to pass the time between exposures :-)

Devon Spencer wrote:
Very cool. I was there the same time except k Trekker up to Yosemite Falls in hopes of getting a different composition.

Get anything good?

Apr 04, 2017 at 11:12 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tunnel View and Stars

Way above my paygrade.
I love the first, with a great capture of the sky and a nice arc of light illuminating broad crescents below. The trails image is busy and strongly competes with the beauty below.

Scott

Apr 04, 2017 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.