New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

studio photography constant cfl or led

karlfoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · studio photography constant cfl or led

Hi guys

I am wanting to diversify my photography to include table top product and eventually other bigger product.

I have seen a number of well priced cfl systems, Impact being one of them, and wondered if anyone has used led bulbs with these? Are daylight led bulbs better than their equivalent cfl bulbs?

Also, how does one correctly white balance the setup, as not all cfl bulbs appear to be created equal?

How big can one go with objects being shot with cfl lighting, obviously the bigger the object, the further back you have set up the lights, will cfl work for a bike or car shoot. Can they be used for outside shoots?

Thanks

Apr 03, 2017 at 12:52 AM
PhotoDes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · studio photography constant cfl or led

I have used a number of high CRI CFL lights as well as LED lights (both high CRI and "low" CRI) for closeup work. All of the CFL lamps required CC gels (magenta) to get good color accuracy. Here is an example using a corrected 55W CFL.

With commercial quality edison-base LED lamps replacing the CFLs, some (but less) filtration will also be needed to obtain equally good results. You need to be prepared to do some experimentation. Here's a sample closeup taken with daylight LED lamps that shows skin tones. I definitely recommend daylight LED bulbs, and they compare pretty well with natural daylight, though mine are closer to 5200K than 5500K.

I believe you will need the tungsten equivalent of at least 1000W to handle objects larger than table-top at 800 ISO or less. So much depends on the object size and the lighting effects you are after.

I feel your questions do not have simple answers. I spent several months "fine-tuning" my LED lighting and now use a combination of 3 types of LED lights for most projects -- I emphasize you should be prepared to experiment for best results. The alternative is to purchase (costly) LED lights which have a high CRI rating in which case the learning curve should be simpler.

Hope this helps.

Apr 14, 2017 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password