New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon camera

Caldwellsandi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon camera

Looking for a canon camera that will do high school sports but also senior portraits? Is there one camera that will do both sports and portraits? Thanks

Apr 02, 2017 at 11:16 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon camera

Most cameras can to some degree. It would help to know your current equipment and what limitations you are encountering.

EBH

Apr 02, 2017 at 11:21 AM
Caldwellsandi

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon camera

I just sold my 6D as I felt it was not fast enough for sports. I have canon 50 1.4,135f2 and a 70-200 f2.8 IS ll.

Apr 02, 2017 at 11:30 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon camera

Assuming you have a budget, a used 1DX is still quite capable if you are fine with the MP and form factor. The 5D III is OK too, though AF is slower and not the greatest in low light. I'm finding the 5D IV to be a nice compromise of resolution, IQ and speed, but IQ is more important to me than pure speed of the 1DX series. I always suggest renting and testing the equipment under typical conditions of use.

EBH

Apr 02, 2017 at 12:05 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon camera

It is going to come down to budget. If the 6D was not adequate, then any of the below would be an improvement. In order of increasing cost and performance:

5DIII
5D IV
1DX
1DX2.

Another option would be 6D (portraits) AND an 80D or 7D2 (sports).

Apr 02, 2017 at 01:28 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon camera

Come on guys, although not ideal, a crop camera is perfectly capable of shooting senior portraits.

To me the real question is which high school sports.

If the budget is limited, 7DII plus a 1.4x with the 70-200 should be able to shoot all daylight field sports, plus ice hockey. Volleyball and basketball in a dungeon gym might need an 85 f/1.8 added to the kit (because the 135 might be too long for hoops).

If there is no budget, then, sure, a 1DX or 1DXII would be nice, but a crop camera in the right hands is going to give results that most people can't distinguish from full frame.

Mark

Apr 02, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Caldwellsandi

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon camera

My boys play football, basketball, baseball and track. Night games and dark gyms.

Apr 02, 2017 at 02:23 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon camera

Caldwellsandi wrote:
My boys play football, basketball, baseball and track. Night games and dark gyms.

Sounds like you might want to stick with a full frame sensor. You haven't mentioned budget.

Apr 02, 2017 at 02:40 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon camera

What ISOs do you need? I would be comfortable with a 7DII up to at least 4000, maybe 6400 (although I've never taken mine that high). The anti-flicker feature would be great to have for night games.

If you can afford the 1DX, that would probably be your best bet if you have to shoot a lot at night.

Mark

Apr 02, 2017 at 02:43 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon camera

IME (which is limited to one week) the 1Dx and 5D4 are equally good at high ISO in dark gyms. 5D4 has the anti flicker advantage, 1Dx has the speed and buffer advantage. Also, when you take many sports shots in portrait orientation (like I do) I like the 1Dx a lot better.

My take is that for what you want to shoot 7fps is adequate. And I expect the 5D4 to be a more subject friendly portrait camera. The 1Dx files are easier to work with if you use LR /ACR as your converter.

If the sports you mentioned and portraits is all you do then I would suggest a 5D4. If you like the bigger and heavier body then get the 1Dx. But you'll need to look carefully to find one that's not been beaten up. After all it's a used camera. But it can be worth it.

Don't worry about megapixels. 18 is plenty for your objectives.

Apr 02, 2017 at 03:02 PM
KSgal

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon camera

Caldwellsandi wrote:
Looking for a canon camera that will do high school sports but also senior portraits? Is there one camera that will do both sports and portraits? Thanks

What are your expectations? I regularly use my 7D2 for portraits and then turn right around and shoot action in the arena.. usually around 1/800 - f3.2 @12,800 iso. Proper exposure + processing makes an 8x10 do-able at that iso, in my opinion. Grainy as heck at 100%, but still usable in a smaller print or for web. Have to have exposure correct though, it hates being under exposed.

And yes it has done portraits both inside in studio and outside. 80D might be another one to consider, if you want more DR on the low end, but they are on par with each other at higher iso.

Apr 04, 2017 at 03:08 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon camera

I have no idea as to your budget, but the 5D III or 5D IV both do a great job on sports and portraits and just about everything else. They are true "all round" cameras with a terrific autofocus, high IQ and excellent low light performance.

Apr 04, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Caldwellsandi

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon camera

I decided to go with the 5D lll. I am patiently awaited for its arrival today. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Apr 05, 2017 at 09:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.