Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Here is one of those high key and a bit of abstract shots. I took it in Chile last year while scouting the area of Torres Del Paine National Park (way behind and the borders of what everyone normally explores). I found this high hill with lots of trees bent by a very high winds (almost always present in the area), that to me looked photogenic. I originally wanted to frame one of them with a mountains behind it but something just didn't look right (composition wise) and I gave up on the idea. Still, I liked the tree by itself and decided to take a shot of just the tree on the hill alone.
I created this image by converting it first to black and white, and then by cranking up the exposure slider almost all the way to the right (to the max) to "erase" everything but the tree. I then applied some shadow recovery to get the tree truck and brunches back, and sharpen the image quite a bit to add some dimension to them. I also applied some small amount of dodging and burning for an additional image definition.
Greg

Apr 01, 2017 at 06:15 PM
johnmatrix84
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Love the high key and processing.

Apr 01, 2017 at 07:32 PM
jord217
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Yeah man this is nice. Really liking how the textures look on the tree. Part of me wants a square crop of just the tree, I'm not sure of the large amount of empty space on the left is doing anything for it and keeps pulling my eye away. I think it's because the tree is reaching to the right. Either way, this would probably make one hell of a print. Nice job Greg.

Jordan

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:13 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A High Key with a Negative Space

jord217 wrote:
Yeah man this is nice. Really liking how the textures look on the tree. Part of me wants a square crop of just the tree, I'm not sure of the large amount of empty space on the left is doing anything for it and keeps pulling my eye away. I think it's because the tree is reaching to the right. Either way, this would probably make one hell of a print. Nice job Greg.

Jordan

Jordan, I've thought about cropping this image and keep, as you suggested, only the tree. I hated how it looked
The flow of branches makes cropped version "handicapped" because it seems something is missing from the picture, something that makes the branches lean (or bent) to the right. To me there's this expectation to see some flow (of and invisible wind perhaps) that makes this tree look the way it does. But I can tell we are on the same boat with our thoughts about what this image may look like in the end. This is what this forum is for, right? Before I print something like this I sure want to know what people think about the negative space. It occasionally helps and looks great, but sometimes it maybe just too much of it. Hm... maybe I'll remove some of it from this shot? I'll play around with this image some more.
Thanks

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:31 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A High Key with a Negative Space

very nice image. the processing created a pencil-liked drawing :-)

imho, i wished the tree branches weren't cutoff on the right hand side. in such case, i think the negative space would work.

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:52 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A High Key with a Negative Space

tntcorp wrote:
very nice image. the processing created a pencil-liked drawing :-)

imho, i wished the tree branches weren't cutoff on the right hand side. in such case, i think the negative space would work.

Agreed! I wish I didn't cut this tree! Well, it was a year ago and I have no idea what I was thinking back then?!
My wife told me she'd like better if this shot had the negative space on the other side of the tree. Hard to keep everyone satisfied
But nothing is waisted as I will be back in Patagonia in just 3 weeks again. I'll retake it...

Apr 01, 2017 at 09:56 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Very interesting. Looks like a pencil sketch.

Apr 02, 2017 at 12:45 AM
johnnydrz

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Superb. Very nice tones.

Apr 02, 2017 at 06:14 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Like oriental painting great!

Apr 02, 2017 at 11:08 AM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Very cool find and idea. I think for me I would prefer this flipped...so that the tree was pointing in to the dead space instead of off the frame.

Apr 02, 2017 at 06:03 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Greg;

I think this is pretty damn cool. Love the processing, I think the composition fits the mood and really adds to the overall feel of this. Is it a "standard" landscape photo? - of course not - but what it brings in originality and uniqueness really sets it apart. Way to step outside the box.....

Todd

Apr 02, 2017 at 10:27 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A High Key with a Negative Space

tmiller9 wrote:
Greg;

I think this is pretty damn cool. Love the processing, I think the composition fits the mood and really adds to the overall feel of this. Is it a "standard" landscape photo? - of course not - but what it brings in originality and uniqueness really sets it apart. Way to step outside the box.....

Todd

Thank you Todd. I appreciate your, and everyone else's of course, comment.

Apr 03, 2017 at 01:51 AM
erielake
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A High Key with a Negative Space

nice post work

Apr 03, 2017 at 06:43 AM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A High Key with a Negative Space

That's one hell of a photogenic tree. I like what you've done here with some very creative PP. The negative space on the left doesn't bother me but I'm on the fence on clipping the right side of the tree.

Apr 03, 2017 at 09:37 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Awesome!

Apr 03, 2017 at 02:03 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A High Key with a Negative Space

I love it just the way it is. Well done!!

Apr 03, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Tor Flaata
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A High Key with a Negative Space

I really like it. Well done!

Cheers,
Tor Olav

Apr 04, 2017 at 08:13 AM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Damn, I forgot what I was looking for when I launched the browser and saw this image. While it may not be perfect, it certainly resonates with me. Well done.

Apr 04, 2017 at 01:57 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A High Key with a Negative Space

High art, Gregg. Printed large would enhance any wall space.

Bob

Apr 04, 2017 at 04:24 PM
JohnBrew
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A High Key with a Negative Space

Sweet, visionary image. Thank you for your PP notes, a good insight to your process.

Apr 06, 2017 at 01:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.