New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · E-M1.2 SD Card Slot Assignment Idiosyncrasy

James Farrell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-M1.2 SD Card Slot Assignment Idiosyncrasy

In the spirit of sharing information, I thought I’d outline a recent learning experience about an idiosyncrasy of the E-M1.2 that had me really stumped for a time. Now, maybe, dear reader, you are an ‘expert’ with the new E-M1.2 and this is “old hat’ to you. But for me it was quite an “Ah Ha!” moment. It has to do with the interaction of Menu > Cog> H1 > Card Slot Settings and the “Number of Storable Still Pictures” that you can see on the very bottom right of the LCD Monitor.

Now, I shoot only RAW, no jpegs. Let’s say for example you have your video files assigned to be saved on the SD card in Slot #1 (upper) and your still images assigned to be saved on the SD card in Slot #2 (lower). If you have Cog > H1 > Card Slot Settings set to “Auto Switch” (as I do) if one card fills up, the remaining still or video images will be saved to the other card, assuming it has some file storage space available. What I did not know was that the “Number of Storable Still Pictures” on the card assigned for storing still image if H1 was set to “Auto Switch” is actually the available storage space for the combination of BOTH cards, not just the card assigned to store still images. And what’s interesting is that if you shot some video that is assigned to be saved to lets say card slot #1, the amount of storable space on the card assigned for still images in slot #2 will be reduced depending on how big the video file is that saved to slot 1 just as soon as the video file has been written to its assigned storage SD card.

This all came to light for me when I was trying to understand why the amount of storable space for still images (I shoot only RAW) that was indicated on the monitor did not make any sense given the capacity of the card that I had in slot #2 and approximate size of an average ORF file (21.5 MB). If you change Cog > H1 > Card Slot Settings to “Standard” where each slot is isolated from the other and overflow is not possible, you’ll see that the storable space for still images will change to a number that makes sense for the given capacity of the SD card.

Nowhere in the 196-page manual is this idiosyncrasy outlined in any detail that calls this to the user’s attention. There’s no information on the bottom of Page 148 that spells this out other than a oblique reference in the first bullet point. I thought you all might find this information useful. It’s meaningful to me since I do a lot of burst shooting and at times some video. So, keeping track of what’s happening with regard to available file storage space is important to me. Regards to All … Jim

Apr 01, 2017 at 12:04 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-M1.2 SD Card Slot Assignment Idiosyncrasy

Good info! Thanks.

Apr 01, 2017 at 03:04 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.