New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

Does anyone know or use a good hiking pack that will fit the XL Pro ICU in it. I want it to still maintain a carry on size. I use the Gura Gear and F-Stop now. Problem is the comfort. F-stop is better then Gura Gear but either is the best for hiking. I did a lot hiking in Costa Rica with the Gura Gear and it was not fun, great for fitting gear but not the longer hikes. I had it on for over 5 hours and fairly heavy.

Looking for something for hiking with just camera gear, not worried about room for clothes etc.

Not worried about the cost, just want it to work. I want to use the XL PRO ICU in it and carry are the main wants. Possible attachment points for a tripod would be a plus. Most of the good packs I am finding are way to tall for carry on. Any input is welcome.

ICU External Dimensions (in): 7 Depth x 11.5 Width x 19 Height

Apr 01, 2017 at 10:45 AM
JameelH
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

Will be hard to find such a bag. I use my XL pro in f stop satori. You will run into height issues with any bag that can accommodate this ICU.

Apr 01, 2017 at 02:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

Mammut Trion Pro
2 sizes
M- 35L
L- 50L

Apr 01, 2017 at 03:48 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

JameelH wrote:
Will be hard to find such a bag. I use my XL pro in f stop satori. You will run into height issues with any bag that can accommodate this ICU.

Thank you, I also use the Satori and the Ajna for the XL and so far has been fine as a carry on. Just looking for a bit more comfort if possible, but having used just the Gura Gear on my last trip was not to fun.

Apr 01, 2017 at 04:00 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

sjms wrote:
Mammut Trion Pro
2 sizes
M- 35L
L- 50L

Thank you. Looks nice, looks like the 35L would work for the ICU and keep the size down a little at the same time. Do you feel this would be better then my current F-stop bags for comfort?

Apr 01, 2017 at 04:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

for hiking, if it fits your frame correctly, most likely. that also depends on your load factor. for travel its going to still be a bit bulky with the straps as they are.

all credit goes to Dustin Gent for this find:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1463266/999999#lastmessage

look carefully at the dimensions and think of what else your going with. I have little issue with the Ajna myself. there are a lot of personal variables to work out too.

Edited on Apr 01, 2017 at 04:13 PM · View previous versions

Apr 01, 2017 at 04:07 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

sjms wrote:
for hiking, if it fits your frame correctly, most likely. that also depends on your load factor. for travel its going to still be a bit bulky with the straps as they are.

all credit goes to Dustin Gent for this find:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1463266/999999#lastmessage

Thanks

Apr 01, 2017 at 04:12 PM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

If money's no object, I might take a look at Kifaru--they specialize in hunting/military packs, which means that they're overbuilt by civilian standards but really excel at handling heavy, dense load-outs. Here's one of their new offerings that might fit your parameters:

https://store.kifaru.net/22-mag-3000ci--49liters-bag-only-p195.aspx

but also keep an eye out for a couple of their discontinued packs that are sometimes available on the used market--the "Marauder" and the first generation "Navigator" (which unlike its second generation successor is short enough to work as carry-on.) FWIW, I use a Marauder for EDC and as a daypack for my camera gear--really a well-made piece of kit.

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:02 PM
JSecord
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

Check out the Osprey atmos bags. My buddy grabbed one recently and I'll be picking one up soon too (and using an ICU with it for my camera gear). Probably the most supportive bag I've ever tried on.

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

i have the Trion Pro 50 + 7 liter bag, and have used it for a 8+ mile hike so far (just got it a week ago). I really like it, and am looking for an ICU to go into it that will fit my A7r plus a couple of small lenses.

Apr 01, 2017 at 09:13 PM
d831
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

Another option to throw in the mix...

Have you considered checking your pack (filled with your clothes, etc.) and carrying on your ICU? Along with its handle, this is made easy using its D-rings for a shoulder strap. Bring a duffle with you and you can do a switcheroo after landing.

This way you can get an ideal all day/multi-day hiking pack without having to compromise on comfort/features/build (e.g. Osprey, Gregory). Tough otherwise, with the carry-on size limitation.

Apr 01, 2017 at 09:35 PM
d831
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

While taking out the trash, I just remembered a pack that may be a good match for you!

Depending on the weight of your gear, the ULA Circuit (http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/circuit.htm) is just slightly over the carry-on size limits, but lots of people are pulling it off. Though it's admittedly not much to look at, it's very popular in the UL backpacking community. The recommended max load is only 35lbs. though.

Worth checking out if the weight isn't an issue...

[ETA dimensions: 25x12x7"]

Apr 01, 2017 at 10:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

I have to bring up one thing with these suggestions. that is accessibility. direct ability to access the ICU and its contents w/o removal.

Apr 02, 2017 at 06:09 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to try the Mammut Trion Pro 35. I like the design and access. I just found one for $151 with free shipping. I will be happy to post pics with the ICU if anyone wants them once I receive the pack. Hopefully the ICU will fit nicely in that size, we will find out

Apr 02, 2017 at 07:02 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What hiking bag to fit XL PRO ICU

sweet! yes, post pics as i am in search of an ICU. Remember, this is a climbing bag at heart, so it is made to handle some payload comfortably.

Apr 02, 2017 at 10:11 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.