Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

M. Best
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

And now for something completely different...
I've always, for the most part, just shot hand held. But I'd like to up my keeper level so have been looking at getting a tripod and head.
I have the ones I'm interested picked out, however, BH has a used pan/tilt head in 8+ condition for half off. Is there any reason I shouldn't get this? For what it's worth, it's a Manfrotto friction one.

Apr 01, 2017 at 09:28 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

First, consider if you really want a pan/tilt head other than for video (viscous head) or perhaps some architecture for stills. Ball heads are more popular nowadays due to the favorable strength/weight/size and ease of use.

EBH

Apr 01, 2017 at 09:56 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

Ahhhh! See, yes, that it what I was looking for. I found a used ballhead for roughly the same price in better condition. Thanks so much!
The pan/tilt was a BH recommendation when I picked my tripod.

Apr 01, 2017 at 10:10 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

Generally, I don't like pan-tilt heads for stills. I have a Manfrotto fluid head that just sits.

I'd say take your time and do some research, you might want to get a good head that will last for life, and will use Arca Swiss plates. Stay away from Manfrotto plates if you can.

You can get reasonably good heads for a fair price, or poor heads for a high price.

Apr 01, 2017 at 10:44 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

Yes indeed fluid pan/tilt heads are mostly for video.

Heads for still use could be: Geared heads: useful for macro and product shots. Ball heads: popular, value priced and compact-almost precise. Gimbal heads for action and bigger camera lens combos.
Speciality heads: Rail heads for macros, Pano rigs for stitched panoramas.

Plates: Standardise on the "Arca Swiss" quick detach system. Many brands. Some fine Chinese made units are value priced.

Apr 02, 2017 at 11:59 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

+1 on at least the "Arca Swiss" compatible quick release system.

Apr 02, 2017 at 01:14 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

I am probably the only one but I really like to use fluid video heads for stills. It is very easy to smoothly frame exactly what you want. When you fix the position, it does not move like a ball head. While adjusting the position with a ball head it risks to tilt/fall if the friction is too low or if you do not pay attention.
Combined with a video tripod it is so easy to level.
You do not need an expensive video head for this (Manfrotto 500 or 502).
A strong video head can also be used to replace a gimbal head.

A little downside is, that they do not use Arca Swiss standard. I fixed RRS clamps (can easily be done) on the Manfrotto plates to be able to use L-Brackets and put the camera in portrait orientation.

Last but not least: you can also shoot video

But as I said, it seems that there are not many stills photographers doing this

Claude

Apr 02, 2017 at 02:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

Claude wrote:
I am probably the only one but I really like to use fluid video heads for stills. It is very easy to smoothly frame exactly what you want. When you fix the position, it does not move like a ball head. While adjusting the position with a ball head it risks to tilt/fall if the friction is too low or if you do not pay attention.
Combined with a video tripod it is so easy to level.
You do not need an expensive video head for this (Manfrotto 500 or 502).
A strong video head can also be used to replace a
...Show more

Unless you want to waste time adjusting the legs to level the head, you would need a leveling base even for a single shot with a non-collared lens. A ball head is more efficient for that, not to mention being more compact and lightweight.

EBH

Apr 02, 2017 at 11:04 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

EB-1 wrote:
Unless you want to waste time adjusting the legs to level the head, you would need a leveling base even for a single shot with a non-collared lens. A ball head is more efficient for that, not to mention being more compact and lightweight.

Cloude states that he uses video legs.

Apr 03, 2017 at 02:36 AM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I agree, without a video tripod, leveling is challenging. I mainly use a Gitzo Systematic with half-bowl adapter. By pure coincidence I just found a youtube video from a photographer (Henri Hudson) who uses nearly the same setup: https://youtu.be/epPSQaYnU8M

Claude

Apr 06, 2017 at 10:47 AM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

I remember the time I used a ballhead to record video

Did not work out too well.

Apr 06, 2017 at 03:31 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Used pan/tilt tripod head?

I went with a ball head. I RARELY do video and if I do, I'll usually just use my Iphone. I can't wait to play with it. I just need some nice weather! Thanks for the advice.

Apr 06, 2017 at 09:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.