New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Studio Pageant Headshot - Critiques Welcome

jrp81

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Studio Pageant Headshot - Critiques Welcome

I had a young lady come to me needing some studio headshots for an upcoming pageant. I am really wanting to work up this part of my business. I am 110% open to any and all critiques!

Pageant headshots

Setup, 2 lights. Alienbees A1600. One camera right with large rectangular softbox as keylight. Second camera left behind subject for back hair light.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:13 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Studio Pageant Headshot - Critiques Welcome

You'll always get more feedback if you imbed the pic in your message. Hope you don't mind my imbedding it, just trying to be helpful.

http://www.jrowephotography.com/images/Bryce-Crown.jpg

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Studio Pageant Headshot - Critiques Welcome

A couple of things jump out at me. You cropped part of her arms including her hand at the wrist joint. I would think a head shot would include less of her body anyway. I am not crazy about the color of the background. I get that it is a lighter shade of the dress. It just seems too light and lessens the focus on the young woman. Maybe a medium gray. Experiment. The purple dress and her yellow skin (too yellow?) might make choosing complementary colors difficult. Softening the lighting might help overall (a less bright forehead, fewer shadows). She looks great and she is clear as a bell. I think your processing touch is good--some skin texture, looks natural.

Apr 01, 2017 at 12:20 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Studio Pageant Headshot - Critiques Welcome

Ron's point about imbedding is right on!
Stunning woman and the exposure looks to be excellent! BG? Looks fine to me, accents the tones/colors of her and the dress.
Very nice. I do agree about the hands/wrists. Maybe hold some flowers?
Dan

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:39 AM
kensglamour

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Studio Pageant Headshot - Critiques Welcome

The lighting is too hot: her hair looks gray on the left side, hot spots on the face need to be toned down. I agree the crop is awkward. I'd crop pout her left arm to the elbow and see how it looks. I happen to like the background. Overall, very good photography, just some minor points on processing.

Apr 01, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Studio Pageant Headshot - Critiques Welcome

Yes, I add an amendment to my above post. The lighting on her right side(stage left) is too hot. The shadow cast by the lighting around her neck also.
But I don't find this overly concerning to me. Just something to think about.
Dan

Apr 02, 2017 at 08:26 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.