New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · ?: HDR with Flash for Landscapes

greyhoundrick

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ?: HDR with Flash for Landscapes

Hello everyone,

Always great to be with you!

Im brand new to HDR photography and I also enjoy taking images with off camera flash. I wanted to combine the two and see what I can do, however, Im not exactly sure as to the best approach.

If I am shooting at sunset in the desert and want to add flash to say, a cactus, would it be best to use the flash on just one of the exposures and take the other bracketed shots without the flash? Or, rather take them all with flash and just bracket the ambient light?

In addition, I guess you can do the bracketing with all flash images as well.

What would be the best approach to this? Is it a situation where its just trial and error or do you think there is an ideal way to tackle this?

Thank you so much for your expertise and time. I always appreciate hearing from you!

best,

Rick

Mar 31, 2017 at 01:47 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ?: HDR with Flash for Landscapes

For most landscapes, except objects within 50-100 feet, flash will probably not be effective.
Look at the guide numbers for flash & you can figure out the coverage.
I would first work on the basics, proper exposure & bracketing.
For HDR you might need more than the +/- 1 stop approach.
You should have the range of exposures to use with whatever HDR software you use.

Dan

Mar 31, 2017 at 02:47 PM
greyhoundrick

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ?: HDR with Flash for Landscapes

Thanks very much for your input Dan. I really appreciate it.

Yes, the objects that I would use strobes for would just be for cactus/vegetation in the foreground. Kind of like this image I took a while back with a bare Alien Bee 1600.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greyhoundrick/9512809552/in/dateposted-public/

Sorry for just posting a link instead of the image.

I wasn't sure if ambient bracketing with one flash shot mixed in, ambient bracketing with all images using flash, or flash bracketing would be the best way to go.

Thanks again!

Rick

Mar 31, 2017 at 03:17 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ?: HDR with Flash for Landscapes

I sometimes use flash or light painting in night photography, which can be a similar situation. I will generally take all of the shots I need without flash (for focus stacking or exposure blending) and then take a separate exposure using the flash. This allows me to adjust the flash intensity in photoshop, including removing light that spills into areas I don't want it. I'll also take exposures with the light in several locations so I blend those together as well.

Apr 03, 2017 at 02:42 PM
greyhoundrick

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ?: HDR with Flash for Landscapes

kylebarendrick wrote:
I sometimes use flash or light painting in night photography, which can be a similar situation. I will generally take all of the shots I need without flash (for focus stacking or exposure blending) and then take a separate exposure using the flash. This allows me to adjust the flash intensity in photoshop, including removing light that spills into areas I don't want it. I'll also take exposures with the light in several locations so I blend those together as well.

Thanks Kyle! That is great info and will certainly help me!!

Apr 03, 2017 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.