New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Chicago

Dperkell

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chicago

Where is the best view of the city and lake combined? I want the Sears Tower (I know it has a different name now) and the other buildings in these shots. Haven't been to Chicago in a very long time and it's such an amazing city.
Thanks for all your comments in advance.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:13 PM
photowojo

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chicago

Adler planetarium

http://www.pbase.com/photowojo/image/115406045.jpg

Mar 30, 2017 at 07:46 AM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chicago

Was thinking about making a trip to Chicago soon.

Any recommendations on some cool places to shoot?

Mar 30, 2017 at 02:23 PM
xoda
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chicago

am interested too

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:40 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chicago

Chicago has many great vantage points -

for the specific view you reference:

the 'obvious' one is from Adler Planetarium with a medium lens, or
with a wide lens from Buckingham fountain

However, 6 other vantage points are - depending on time of day, location of sun:
-the very end of Navy Pier
-from a boat tour out on the lake
-from North Ave beach (there is a concrete walkway out into the Lake with a great view back at the city), looking South
-from Roosevelt Road, just West of the River
-there is a park on the lakefront around 31st St looking North, but you'll need a 200mm lens and a gun
-finally, from the Old Town neighborhood, find a parking garage on North Ave and get to the roof and take the 'backside' of the skyline

here's a few I took when i lived downtown:
http://www.ecarlino.com/chicago

Apr 11, 2017 at 09:23 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chicago

Be very, very careful there. The city is now not nearly as "safe" as it was even just a few years ago. Yes, I'm including the downtown tourist area. I speak from personal experience. The police won't do much to help you either.

Kent in SD

Apr 15, 2017 at 09:58 AM
Nexed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chicago

I second Adler planetarium, the boat tours, and the Navy Pier. All are excellent places to shoot from. You get a decent slice of the skyline from the Buckingham fountain too, and the colors and visual dazzlement of that fountain can go really well with the lit up skyline.

I also recommend the Signature Lounge of the Hancock Tower. One floor from the top, it has no entry fee, and if you are okay waiting, you can get a table looking out at Michigan Avenue and the many amazing skyscrapers of Chicago, along with the lake. Make sure to carry your CPL to avoid the annoying reflections on the glass.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM
ecarlino
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chicago

Two23 wrote:
Be very, very careful there. The city is now not nearly as "safe" as it was even just a few years ago. Yes, I'm including the downtown tourist area. I speak from personal experience. The police won't do much to help you either.
Kent in SD

North of Roosevelt Rd and East of Halsted during 'normal hours' (6 AM - 10 PM) there is very little to worry about - other than just be smart.

It's perhaps not P.C. to say, but it's pretty clear that there are certain groups looking for trouble - but they tend to avoid the main downtown business / touristy areas. Yes there are exceptions, it's an urban area, and you need to be smart.

However, the one thing that I would definitely check for possible things to avoid during 'normal' hours - the idiots seem to be protesting just about everything now on a regular basis. I wish the city would have put a stop on that from the get go because those sorts of things tend to get much bigger over time rather than fading away. It's to the point now, that if the weather is nice and I want to take the kids into the city on the weekend, i have to plan around whatever protest is scheduled b/c they don't stick to their area and run all over the downtown / lakefront area at times.

Apr 17, 2017 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.