New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Kmccarthy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

I'm not a big video guy, so please forgive my ignorance.

When I was researching the 5D IV, I read many complaints about the file size of the 4K MJPEG codec. I also read that Prores 422 was one of the preferred codecs for video editing. So I bought some software to convert MJPEG to Prores 422 (Wondershare video converter), thinking it would solve my problem. Much to my surprise, the Prores files are actually a bit larger! Is this normal? What codec do you guys recommend for editing and storing 4K files? Looking for something high-quality but compact.

Thanks

Mar 29, 2017 at 09:24 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

I'm not a video guy either, but H.264 in high bitrate (or the newer H.265) would be great as a compromise of quality and file size. But considering how cheap storage is, just keep the original .mov files and output to whatever works for your purposes. But don't re-encode and lose the originals. Just keep 'em.

New firmware rumored to be coming our way will add a new format that'll record at 120mbps and 200mbps. I can't wait to dump this 500mbps non-sense and switching to the 200mbps new format.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:40 PM
mohankrish

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Wait for April 21st. There is a rumour Canon releasing a major firmware update which includes 4K C-Log codec on April 21st. I hope that fix all the big files storage issues.

Mar 30, 2017 at 01:08 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Is there any link to this rumor? Which site? Coming to the 1DX2 as well?

Mar 30, 2017 at 03:44 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

This video may interest you as well. I don't know much about video, found it really informative. It does not discuss MJPEG or h2.64/65 but it's interesting to see that the large ProRes codec only holds marginal benefits for my kind of shooting compared to much more basic codec like AVCHD.

Ralph

Mar 30, 2017 at 04:46 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

mohankrish wrote:
Wait for April 21st. There is a rumour Canon releasing a major firmware update which includes 4K C-Log codec on April 21st. I hope that fix all the big files storage issues.

Where did you hear that? The most updated rumor doesn't have a release date and it does not mention C-Log at all. There are a ton of improvements, but C-Log is not one I imagine Canon bringing to anything below their C line.

Mar 30, 2017 at 06:24 AM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Kmccarthy wrote:
What codec do you guys recommend for editing and storing 4K files?

If you ever want to edit the video then you don't want to have any temporal compression (and that's what kills your compression ratio) - that makes any sophisticated broadcast stream (or compact ones) a no go! Thus MJPEG or Prores do sound fine for that requirement. The finished video then can be encoded in a boradcast format stream which is geared to be compact but not to be edited again like H.264...

http://www.4kshooters.net/2014/09/06/which-codec-is-most-suitable-for-your-4k-workflow/

Mar 30, 2017 at 06:45 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Max_Pain wrote:
Where did you hear that? The most updated rumor doesn't have a release date and it does not mention C-Log at all. There are a ton of improvements, but C-Log is not one I imagine Canon bringing to anything below their C line.

You need to get out more, the c-log is all over the net. The rumour is CR3 which is basically a certainty., There's a lot more coming than c-log too

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:59 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

I get out plenty, thank you very much. It's very hard to keep my light complexion with all the sun I get down here.

The most recent rumour I saw was this:

http://www.canonrumors.com/crop-factor-change-for-4k-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-included-in-coming-update-more

Which has a ton of bullet points for what's coming, none of which actually mention C-Log. It's just in the title. I figured it was a carryover from earlier rumours, and now that we have details (that don't mention c-log!) that C-Log wasn't actually coming. I guess I'm wrong? It seems a weird way to detail everything else in bullet points and not add "5D Mark IV gets C-Log profile" as a bullet point.

Mar 30, 2017 at 09:50 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Oh you guys are so gullible.....none of this is happening.....

Mar 30, 2017 at 06:44 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

arbitrage wrote:

I know you are as cynical as me, but this is happening and it will be one of Canon's better fw updates maybe the best since the 7D fw 2.0 update way back in about 2010.

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:03 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

arbitrage wrote:

Sure, it will be announced April 1.

EBH

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Kmccarthy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

I just bought a 5D4, so this would be icing on the cake!

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:38 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I know you are as cynical as me, but this is happening and it will be one of Canon's better fw updates maybe the best since the 7D fw 2.0 update way back in about 2010.

The rumour does sound strong so I sure hope so but my 1DX2 better be getting this also. Would Canon really not give this to the people that are supporting its highest $8K CDN camera?

Mar 31, 2017 at 08:25 AM
ahmedumair
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mark IV 4K file size

Me along with other hybrid shooters are hoping for this!

Mar 31, 2017 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.