Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

The attached is from last weekend. It is my 3rd week of trying this location. This is about 15 minutes east of Canmore on 1a.

I got lots of advice in photo critique so if you like it they are to thank. If you don't like it - its because I ignored lots of good suggestions.

But here is my best picture from the weekend and 2 weekends ago. I am not sure that this spot is a great spot but here is my best 2 tries.

Comments and feedback are appreciated.

Scott

1-2 of 2

1 - Last Weekend

2 - 3 Weekends ago - with ice/snow swirling on long exposure

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM
flicker33

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Hi Scott
I new here, but have been impressed by the photos on this site and these 2 are examples in my view of great photos. I like them both.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

flicker33 wrote:
Hi Scott
I new here, but have been impressed by the photos on this site and these 2 are examples in my view of great photos. I like them both.

flicker33: Welcome to Fredmiranda. There are some great photographers posting her. I am glad you like my pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:34 PM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

both are very good but I like the first one best Scott. Outstanding!

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:00 AM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

I like the first one too - and now I know the name of the mountain I captured from Gap Lake in January! I like the first one even better if I crop some off the top.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Beautiful Scott - I like #1 the best. For some reason, I never seem to explore spots along 1A. Your shot has changed things for me....

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:22 AM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

These are real nice, Scott. I'm partial to the first.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

dwa652: Glad you like the first one. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

kylebarendrick: I am not sure which one is called Mount Lougheed but one of them is. I will look for your picture. Maybe you have found a better spot. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Gary Clennan - glad you like 1. It would be great for milky way on the left but I was too lazy to get out of bed at 3am. This spot was just below the big bend where the Ospray nest is. You can drive within 100' of it. To save you time - I have tried the top of the hill just off the road behind the rail but there is a power line right behind where I was standing and the mountain on the right has a logging scar and the lights from highway 1 and dead man's flats appear.Let me know if you want more directions. Scott

[here is another view closer in with colour]

Dave Dillemuth: Glad you like 1. It only took me three tries to get cloud/light that I wanted. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Closer

Mar 29, 2017 at 06:23 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Really nice images Scott! I like them all, but especially the second and third because there is more interest in the foreground. Well done!

I have always liked this mountain but I'm had trouble finding good vantage points to shoot from and what you've got here has got to be one the the best. I definitely need to do more exploring!

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Scott;

Really like the first one. Love the colors in the sky, the way the mountain is processed - and the reflection. You could probably crop it in a variety of ways and all would be wonderful! Did you try a 1x1? I think that would be interesting too (not saying I don't like what you've presented - I do!).

Todd

Mar 30, 2017 at 07:22 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Hey Scott,

I sure like #2 a lot. Color in the clouds is of course cool, but the look of #2 just really appeals to me.

Jim

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:40 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

The first image is absolutely superb with those beautiful colors. I really like the monochrome image as well, but the color really stands out to me.

-Nick

Mar 30, 2017 at 09:43 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

The second is a beauty Scott! Great water movement.

Beautiful light/colors on the first image. If it was mine, I would place the icy mountain towards the top right rule of thirds area. That would mean severe crop at the right and top areas.

Mar 30, 2017 at 05:11 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Tom Nevesely: I am glad you like the 2nd / 3rd. I put directions above for Gary Clean. Let me know if you need more specifics. It seems like I have taken pictures of most everything else and am repeating myself so I am looking for new views. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

tmiller9: Glad you like 1. I have tried various crops in photo critique and landed on this and the last I posted above. But my preference is the 16x9 format. I have lots of views discarded so I will go look at more crops. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

JimFox: Glad you like 2. I was disappointed in the light and put it aside and came back to it and found the lines in the water very interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 30, 2017 at 09:34 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

nburwell: Glad you like 1 and its colours. Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Fred Miranda: Glad you like the movement in 2nd. I posted another later in this thread that is close to what you suggested. I have struggled with composition at this site. I did not want to lose the pink clouds which is forcing less on the 2/3 line. I will look at 3rd and see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Retry based on Fred Miranda Suggestion?

Mar 30, 2017 at 09:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Scott Stoness wrote:
nburwell: Glad you like 1 and its colours. Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Fred Miranda: Glad you like the movement in 2nd. I posted another later in this thread that is close to what you suggested. I have struggled with composition at this site. I did not want to lose the pink clouds which is forcing less on the 2/3 line. I will look at 3rd and see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

I would not want to lose the beautiful reflection though and I also like the colors on the clouds. My apologies for working on your image but it's easier for me to describe what I mean. Here is a thumb showing an alternative crop:

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:20 PM
spooky action
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

No. 2 for me. The pines contrasting with the mountain look great, and the ice lines in the river are clever, leading the eye up and around the river to the mountain. I think the contrast in highlights and shadows of No. 2 show off the comp better.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:01 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Fred Miranda wrote:
I would not want to lose the beautiful reflection though and I also like the colors on the clouds. My apologies for working on your image but it's easier for me to describe what I mean. Here is a thumb showing an alternative crop:

Thanks Fred. No problem on reworking the image. I will go back to the original to see what it looks like. Much appreciated. Scott

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:15 PM
transientgolf
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Beautiful shots. #2 is my favorite with the movement and the lines but they are both very well done.

Apr 01, 2017 at 08:28 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mount Lougheed from Bow River across Dead Man's Flats

Both are great Scott.
I think the water does very well with the black and white in addition to the larger perspective of the mountains.

David

Apr 01, 2017 at 09:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.