New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · FredMiranda and HiDPI / Retina Images

Joseph Marney
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FredMiranda and HiDPI / Retina Images

I've been meaning to ask this for a long, long time, but somehow have never gotten to it. For me, on Apple Retina or PC HiDPI displays, images on FredMiranda display larger and fuzzier than the same file in Photoshop, for instance.

An example is below, both at 100%, Photoshop on the left, Chrome on the right.
Is there a way to display the images in the browser at the same pixel density as in Photoshop?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 28, 2017 at 04:51 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FredMiranda and HiDPI / Retina Images

It's likely that your internet browser has a default setting that makes everything physically larger to compensate for the higher dpi. Pressing [ctrl] [-] might help, but you still can't be sure what is correct.

Windows has a built-in scaling factor that is based on the default being 96ppi.
OS X was based on 110ppi which was common their laptops except for the high def 133ppi screens. Then Retina came along originally at 266ppi but at a lower 220ppi for the rMBPs, to give it a nice round 2x resolution.
Firefox has a separate scaling factor based on a default of 100ppi.
What you see is a combination of the Windows (or OS X) scaling factor and the browser scaling factor.

To make things even messier, Firefox lets you scale everything or just the text. Unfortunately, there is no option for scaling just images, or for scaling them by a different amount from the text.

The net result is that the original image is possibly being scaled in unspecified ways by the OS and the browser, and therefore you cannot fully trust what you see even if it was posted as a 1:1 image or crop. And then there's colour management to worry about.

- Alan

Mar 29, 2017 at 06:01 AM
Joseph Marney
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FredMiranda and HiDPI / Retina Images

I wonder if it would be possible for Fred to implement some sort of toggle for image scaling.

If I decrease browser zoom, yes, it eventually looks correct, but then everything else is out of whack, of course.

Fred? :-)

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:55 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.