New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Young Concert Photographer Critique

JordanRyan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Young Concert Photographer Critique

I am a 14 year old concert photographer, and I fully realize that my shot's aren't anywhere near great, as I am not crazily experienced, nor do i have a great camera (I'm shooting on a Nikon D3300) but I would love to receive some critique's on some of my favorite image's from concerts.

https://www.jordanryanphotography.com/portfolio-1/

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:32 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Young Concert Photographer Critique

More later, but I think the standout aspect of your images is your ability to cull your portfolio. Folks with a zillion more years experience don't cull as well as you have undoubtedly done.

Concerts are tough gigs in many regards, mostly the low lighting challenges coupled with motion. In that regard, the "grain" can come with the territory, so there's really nothing much to comment on that aspect of technical issues. Truth be known, there's really not a lot to comment, except to say "nice set". I think you have a nice rendering of both your artistic viewpoint and the "event recording" aspect of concert work.

Again, I think your culling of your shots on your site shows you have an understanding of our beloved craft well beyond your years. The one thing that comes to mind "technically" ... is that if you've done this well (noise / grain) with a crop body camera in low light, "Dude, you're gonna rock it even more when you finally get your hands on FF."

As to your website, not too shabby there either. I won't go into details, but I think it has a cohesive lighthearted vibe to it, yet still respectable (i.e. better than age appropriate) ... might re-check your grammar a bit though in a few places.

My overall take ... up & coming, one to watch ... i.e. you're off to a good start and look to be headed in the right direction, with many, many more miles ahead of you to continue your journey & growth.

Mar 28, 2017 at 05:22 PM
JordanRyan

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Young Concert Photographer Critique

Thank you for the input! I am working on saving for a full frame, I got to use a full frame for the photos on my blog post for Judah & The Lion, as a photographer their let me use his!

Mar 29, 2017 at 08:42 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Young Concert Photographer Critique

Couldn't have summed it up and said it any better than Kent did.

I took a quick look at your site and as Kent said, you young man are beyond your years.

As with all of us, your photographic journey has only just begun but it looks like you are off to a fantastic start and I really like the fire in your soul. If you choose to hang with this and pursue it with all the passion you already seem to possess, you will succeed without a doubt. It's a tough gig to turn into a full time career but new people succeed all the time and I see no reason why you couldn't be one of them.

Never stop striving to do better and keep learning all you can. It's a lifelong journey of learning.
And you sir, have a head start!

Dave

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:35 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.