New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

nirajphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

Hi,

I tested the 70-200 f2.8 G2 today (25th March 2017) with both Nikon and Canon full frame bodies for more than 1 hour - mostly with my canon. The Canon was 5dMK3. I tested on only one lens each for Canon and Nikon. The camera bodies too did not change during testing.

Here are the observations I made with canon

- Turning on the VC makes the focus a bit weird. It felt like finding the focused object but just stopping short of it and then then locking the correct focus - something like a two step process. Observed this when i completely defocussed (by turning the focus ring completely) the lens each time. In normal situations - when focus doesnt have to travel thru all the distance, I didnt see this issue (Nikon also had this but lot less times).

- Locking focus is a tiny bit slower with VC on in mode 1 and 3. I did not test mode 2. By slower I mean compared to non-VC under the same conditions.

- In VC mode 1, the view finder appears to jump a bit. Doesnt affect the image quality though.

- Sometimes the VC took a while to respond after half-pressing the shutter in mode 1. But I couldnt reliably reproduce this issue with any particular sequence. Similar observation with Nikon also.

Anyone else observed any of these with Canon FF bodies?

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:41 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

This sounds like your average Tamron VC goofiness. I know they've made progress here, but the symptoms described are very familiar.

Mar 28, 2017 at 07:24 AM
nirajphoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

johnctharp wrote:
This sounds like your average Tamron VC goofiness. I know they've made progress here, but the symptoms described are very familiar.

Do these hinder someone from taking pictures? I am a wedding photographer and many times its a low light situation. I guess the slightly slow focus with VC-on may be an issue. Since I havent tested in a real life scenario, I cant comment for sure.

Mar 28, 2017 at 07:45 AM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

i have had this lens for a month now. I havnt had any issues with the VC..the only time I notice my viewfinder jump is if I make a big movement and the lens tries to compensate. if I am stay pretty still i see very little movement from the VC. There is a very slight pause using VC when locking but with my copy it locks on super fast even lower light with that slight pause. I cant see it missing any photos. The VC works EXTREMELY well. I can get a sharp shot at 200mm at 1/8 shutter speed oh and I am using a 7DMKII.

Mar 28, 2017 at 08:31 AM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

here is a crappy youtube review i did. I am not very good yet at talking to a camera trying to make videos
at 2:55 i show a video of the focus speed shooting inside

plus i have links in description showing tracking, resolution and other shots

Mar 28, 2017 at 08:35 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

nirajphoto wrote:
Do these hinder someone from taking pictures? I am a wedding photographer and many times its a low light situation. I guess the slightly slow focus with VC-on may be an issue. Since I havent tested in a real life scenario, I cant comment for sure.

This isn't a yes or no question; the answer is that it can. If the VC is not enabled when the shutter fires, then you don't get the benefit- if it is 'jumping' into place when the shutter fires, you get a blurry frame. I've seen both shooting the 24-70/2.8 VC, and it would be a show-stopping consideration if I shot action/events.

Here Canon and Nikon seem to remain a bit ahead; even Sigma's OS seems to be a bit more foolproof, if not as effective at stabilizing the viewfinder as first-party solutions are.

Of course, it may also just be the lens you used- as I said above, Tamron has shown improvement, so I'd like to see further reviews from retail samples before forming a researched opinion.

Mar 28, 2017 at 07:54 PM
nirajphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

Thanks for your inputs folks and the video is pretty good
It may be that the copy of lens I was testing with had these issues and they may not exist in other copies.

I received a reply from Tamron about my these observations.

My observation: Sometimes the VC took a while to respond after half-pressing the shutter in mode 1. But I couldnt reliably reproduce this issue with any particular sequence. Similar observation with Nikon also.
Tamron's Reply: It is the usual operation to take a few seconds for the VC to provide a stable image when the shutter button is pressed down halfway.

Few seconds? What I meant was this delay happens only sometimes.. Other times its almost like Canon/nikon lenses. So I guess they didnt understand the question itself.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:37 PM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

I have noticed more with mine..the only time it has that slight pause and then locks is when its a low contrast subject. it seems to lock with no pause if the subject has good contrast in low light or not.

Mar 30, 2017 at 07:06 AM
nirajphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2: tests with Canon 5dMK3

thank for that update.. there could be some pattern to this behavior..

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:58 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.