Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Intel Optane: Speed Boost for the impatient (like me).

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Intel Optane: Speed Boost for the impatient (like me).

Check out improved boot and program load times - for those with HDD's only?

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:26 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Intel Optane: Speed Boost for the impatient (like me).

so a similar (but probably more enhanced) idea to the Fusion drive I have in my late 2012 iMac

Mar 28, 2017 at 06:08 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Intel Optane: Speed Boost for the impatient (like me).

My guess is that the speed boost will be negligible, visible with benchmarking software but not relevant to most real world usage. I should note that the embedded video is blocked by my work firewall so maybe I'm all wet here.

Mar 28, 2017 at 08:51 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Intel Optane: Speed Boost for the impatient (like me).

Optane should have some better applications in the future but for now it's really only going to be useful for people hanging onto spinner HDDs and want to try speed them up a little bit. The vast majority of people will be better off just buying an SSD, and for about the same price. It strikes me as a product a little late to the party

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
so a similar (but probably more enhanced) idea to the Fusion drive I have in my late 2012 iMac

Not exactly - the fusion drives are just a mixture of a normal HDD and some flash storage (like a mini SSD). The Optane is behaving like cache.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Intel Optane: Speed Boost for the impatient (like me).

CanadaMark wrote:
Optane should have some better applications in the future but for now it's really only going to be useful for people hanging onto spinner HDDs and want to try speed them up a little bit. The vast majority of people will be better off just buying an SSD, and for about the same price. It strikes me as a product a little late to the party

Not exactly - the fusion drives are just a mixture of a normal HDD and some flash storage (like a mini SSD). The Optane is behaving like cache.

Well fusion behaves much the same way . It learns what you use most and keeps that in SSD
Mine's the original which is 128gb SSD and 1tb Hard drive .
You can defiantly notice the difference between the files in the SSD compared to the hard drive .
If I start an old LR cat file it's quite slow to start the first time but after that it starts up much faster . Same goes for programs that I haven't used in ages .

I agree that this Optane is late to the party but for many users it will be a more cost effective way to speed things up . Problem is it seems to need the latest motherboards etc to work . So if you have that then you probably would have (or should have) gone the SSD route anyway

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Intel Optane: Speed Boost for the impatient (like me).

I don't think it's any more cost effective, it's the same price as an SSD pretty much, and the SSD will be 2-4 times the capacity. Your last point is dead-on - anyone who has a Kaby Lake CPU probably has an SSD already and probably has no need for this product.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:55 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.