Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

dkmiles1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

So I decided to start posting more....

https://photos.smugmug.com/Presentation-Boards-FM/32717/i-wtn27Mc/0/X2/Quarles%20Women%20-%20Take%202%20-%202016-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Presentation-Boards-FM/32717/i-fmv6dvt/0/X2/Quarles%20Women%20-%20Take%202%20-%202016-3-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Presentation-Boards-FM/32717/i-SD6ZHZ5/0/X2/Quarles%20Women%20-%20Take%202%20-%202016-4-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Presentation-Boards-FM/32717/i-WT9TGH5/0/X2/Quarles%20Women%20-%20Take%202%20-%202016-2-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Presentation-Boards-FM/32717/i-QVg5g4x/0/X2/Quarles%20Women%20-%20Take%202%20-%202016-8-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Presentation-Boards-FM/32717/i-72xzr7L/0/X2/Quarles%20Women%20-%20Take%202%20-%202016-6-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Presentation-Boards-FM/32717/i-rVHkdzQ/0/X2/Quarles%20Women%20-%20Take%202%20-%202016-7-X2.jpg

Edited on Mar 28, 2017 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:04 PM
rioni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Beautiful pics.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:18 PM
c102690
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Love every one of them!. Thanks for sharing.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:34 PM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Wonderful! I lived in Naples for over 20 years until I moved back up north. This time of year I wonder why I ever left Florida.

Erich

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:55 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

"This time of year I wonder why I ever left Florida"

In a few years when much of Florida is under water, it'll come back to you.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:54 AM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Outstanding work

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:41 PM
freddie69

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Beautiful photos. What camera/lens did you use for them?

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:51 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

freddie69 wrote:
Beautiful photos. What camera/lens did you use for them?

Thanks All! Much appreciated! These were shot with a Nikon D750 and a Sigma 12-24 Art - my workhorse is usually the Nikon 14-24.. Just not for this shoot, I happened to be testing that lens and did a review - it's REALLY competent - at least to my eyes anyway.

here's the review, if you're interested;

https://youtu.be/bs2ALw38fwY

Mar 28, 2017 at 04:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Why no Nikkor 19mm or 24mm tilt shift? Everyone is saying that 19 is finally bringing Nikon into the 21st century as far as architectural lenses go.

Mar 28, 2017 at 07:45 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Peter Figen wrote:
Why no Nikkor 19mm or 24mm tilt shift? Everyone is saying that 19 is finally bringing Nikon into the 21st century as far as architectural lenses go.

So funny you should ask this question - I'll actually be testing/reviewing the Canon 17mm T-SE this week for the next 30 days and the Nikon 19mm PC is on my list as well...

That said, I have about 5 or 6 reasons why I haven't used tilt shift lenses thus far - and it's not because they're not excellent nor that they don't serve a specific architectural photography purpose - they do and in the end, the pictures are ultimately straighter and subjectively better.

For me, it has more to do with productivity, focal length, and cost than just about anything else, that and most of the time I'm shooting for a real estate listing, not for architectural digest, there is a difference.

But since I've received so many questions/comments about TS-E lenses, I've decided to put one to the test - I may convert in the end after all, but we'll see :-)

Mar 28, 2017 at 08:18 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Yeah, I've been using that 17mm t/s-e for nearly eight years now. Got the very first copy that hit Samy's here in L.A. It's a remarkable lens and something we were told was simply not possible previously. Then Canon surprised us all bringing that out even before the 24mm t/s-e v2. I had to look that up but then I did take that to shoot in Mexicali for Honeywell that summer. The 17 was released in June '09. It's actually due for a refresh at this point, in my opinion, which would allow it to take full advantage of the 5DSR.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:06 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Peter Figen wrote:
Yeah, I've been using that 17mm t/s-e for nearly eight years now. Got the very first copy that hit Samy's here in L.A. It's a remarkable lens and something we were told was simply not possible previously. Then Canon surprised us all bringing that out even before the 24mm t/s-e v2. I had to look that up but then I did take that to shoot in Mexicali for Honeywell that summer. The 17 was released in June '09. It's actually due for a refresh at this point, in my opinion, which would allow it to take full advantage of
...Show more

Dying to try it out, we'll see how it goes. I went to your site, your exteriors are excellent!

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:27 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Nice work, why do you make the windows so dark? The 1st shot has them the most believable, but all the other ones, they are unnaturally dark-to me anyway. I would also have the outside a bit more out of focus unless you want the viewer to be noticing the outside. I would want the viewer to be concentrating on the interior.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:50 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

My guess is that these were all put together with some sort of automated HDR software and that's what you end up with. Remember that these were shot for real estate purposes not architects or designers, and may not really care. To my eye, the windows are too dark as well. The view outside in a daylight shot almost always looks more natural when it's a stop or two lighter than the inside. I would also equalize the luminance where there are multiple windows or glass doors and one is noticeably darker than the one next to it. But for very high volume work, these are more than fine. For architects, maybe not as much.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:21 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

JohnBrose wrote:
Nice work, why do you make the windows so dark? The 1st shot has them the most believable, but all the other ones, they are unnaturally dark-to me anyway. I would also have the outside a bit more out of focus unless you want the viewer to be noticing the outside. I would want the viewer to be concentrating on the interior.

Not sure if you noticed, but there's a $10 million view out that window :-) The view's important to a potential buyer - especially in these buildings - if we go to light on the windows and they go opaque - then we lose the impact of the view.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:50 PM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Peter Figen wrote:
My guess is that these were all put together with some sort of automated HDR software and that's what you end up with. Remember that these were shot for real estate purposes not architects or designers, and may not really care. To my eye, the windows are too dark as well. The view outside in a daylight shot almost always looks more natural when it's a stop or two lighter than the inside. I would also equalize the luminance where there are multiple windows or glass doors and one is noticeably darker than the one next to it. But
...Show more

We are high volume - real estate photographers - we're not shooting for architectural digest, we do occasionally shoot for a more discerning designer.

Not HDR, honest. As for one window being considerably darker than the others, that's true in several of the images because there are screen doors behind those sliding door windows that lead out onto the balcony. You'll note in the first and second images, the exposure across the windows is even because there's nothing out those windows like a balcony or a screen door to alter the exposure....

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:58 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Darren - I think John's points are valid. There's a big difference between having a window or door that looks like a mirror and having the outside completely blown out. There's a point where (and you can see a great example in the thread I started in this section yesterday) you still have detail but it's naturally lighter and makes sense as the main source of light lighting the room. On the very last image posted, the windows really are problematic, being very uneven with both light and dark halos. To me, that's a problem even for real estate photography and sorta ruins that expensive view. As far as the window screens are concerned, I've run into those many times, and while it's "correct" to leave them much darker, it's often visually more pleasing to at least go part way toward equalizing them. It's one of those things that you compensate for more or less automatically in person, but ends up bugging you when frozen in time.

Mar 29, 2017 at 02:17 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

Peter Figen wrote:
Darren - I think John's points are valid. There's a big difference between having a window or door that looks like a mirror and having the outside completely blown out. There's a point where (and you can see a great example in the thread I started in this section yesterday) you still have detail but it's naturally lighter and makes sense as the main source of light lighting the room. On the very last image posted, the windows really are problematic, being very uneven with both light and dark halos. To me, that's a problem even for real estate
...Show more

I wasn't trying to give the impression that John's points weren't valid - if it came across that way, it wasn't intended. In fact, I appreciate the input/feedback, so sorry John if it came across as dismissive.

Whenever I'm shooting one of these condos in the sky, there's so much emphasis placed on the views (especially from the seller and real estate agents perspective) that sometimes the room almost becomes an after thought - especially if the place isn't being sold furnished. So I'm trying to get everything in focus - especially the view. I can't tell you how many times I hear "You gotta get those views" or "the view is going to sell this place" - yadi, yadi, yada...

The point about the glass looking like a mirror, I totally get it, and looking at it again, I can see what you mean on the last image, and now it's bugging me :-)

As for the screen doors I'll rarely compensate for those, in fact I don't think I ever have and I think it's because I look at it much the same way when a seller will ask me to remove something from a window (like the big ugly green AC unit out the window that partially obscures the view) - I tend to balk because I don't want to misrepresent what's there - I even carry that thought process over to something like screen doors - I think I'm just conditioned. There's a line there somewhere between exaggeration and misrepresentation - screen doors probably aren't it, but I think you get what I mean. One of things I will do, is leave sliding doors closed - unless they pocket - because then you will create uneven windows unnecessarily.

Mar 29, 2017 at 07:03 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

I understand that the view is important, i'm not stupid, but i'm saying that the exposure that you have retouched in the windows is unaturally dark. If you and your clients like that-fine. I was just commenting about it. It's nice when people that post images for viewing actually entertain other points of view.

Mar 29, 2017 at 07:29 AM
dkmiles1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I Photograph about 1,000 homes per year....

JohnBrose wrote:
I understand that the view is important, i'm not stupid, but i'm saying that the exposure that you have retouched in the windows is unaturally dark. If you and your clients like that-fine. I was just commenting about it. It's nice when people that post images for viewing actually entertain other points of view.

I wasn't implying that you were "stupid" - I was being cheeky, no intent to offend at all, furthest thing from my mind really. Apologies if I did, appreciate the feedback.

Mar 29, 2017 at 08:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.