New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

cambyses
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

I had bought an extra B2 battery used (in 9+ condition) from B&H late last December. When I received it, I did a quick test and I thought it was functional, so I just put it in my bag as my backup battery. I never got to use it again until yesterday. But then it seemed fully discharged. So I put it on its charger, and even after many hours of charging, only two of the 4 status indicator LED's would turn on, and once I put the battery on the pack, and connect a light, the pack would turn on for a second and then turn back off without firing even a single shot. I then removed battery from the pack, and pressing on the test button, noticed that even those 2 status LED's would not turn on anymore.

So the battery is obviously defective. But I am just curious, has anyone seen anything like this with your B2 (or even B1) batteries?! This is the only one of my 5 Profoto batteries (3 B1's, and 2 B2's) that seems defective.

I called B&H, and thankfully they accepted to take it back and issue me store credit (kudos to them as I am just a couple of days past the 90-day warranty they offer on their used gear, but then again this was just a backup battery and never got to be used until yesterday).

Mar 27, 2017 at 04:53 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

If they're willing to take it back, I would jump on that and just purchase a new one. It usually doesn't pay to purchase used batteries unless you know they are like new, (very few cycles).

Mar 27, 2017 at 05:08 PM
stuuke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

I had two B1 batteries die. One under warranty the next one died 1 month out of warranty. Profoto offered me a slight discount but not nearly enough in my opinion for 100% failure rate in a kit.

Mar 28, 2017 at 02:19 AM
zurkzees
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Anyone looked into re-celling the B2 battery?
I use the setup heavily and profoto seems to
want users to buy new battery instead of offering
re-celling like the older products.

Mar 28, 2017 at 02:27 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

I've seen that before - and B&H offered a full refund / credit immediately. Looked good at 1st glance but when started use it dropped dead in a hurry.

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:55 AM
cambyses
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Thanks guys... Yes, B&H offered me store credit, which I intend to use for a new replacement battery. I had it shipped back today. So will see how quickly they process it and issue the credit.

I am surprised to hear about these battery issues with Profoto... I know battery technology still needs to catch up with the advances in the broader electronics industry, and battery failures are rather common. But for the amount of money Profoto charges for these batteries, one would hope that they be more reliable. Oh, well, with the GN7 battery fiasco, I guess we should still be happy that at least these batteries fail safely

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:48 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

I've owned my B2's for about 2 years now, and the battery performance has been degrading severely on one of my batteries; It barely holds any charge, but I suspect it's because I always left it trickle charging when shooting small product stuff indoors, and having a battery constantly connected to a charger doesn't seem to be good for it.

My second battery seems okay, though.

Apr 14, 2017 at 08:29 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

bgateb760 wrote:
the battery performance has been degrading severely on one of my batteries; It barely holds any charge, but I suspect it's because I always left it trickle charging when shooting small product stuff indoors, and having a battery constantly connected to a charger doesn't seem to be good for it.

Interesting to know. Have you talked to a technician about that ?

Apr 15, 2017 at 07:19 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Lithium secondary cells are not trickle charged, and the charger won't perform such a function. Given that short working life, I suspect a bad battery.

Apr 15, 2017 at 03:01 PM
pjny
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

I had the same issue with B2 battery. Very annoying. Just died. I use the B2 now with AC adaptor charging the unit and it works.

I dont use the B2 as much as the B1s so I'm a little peeve to have the B2 battery last less than 2 years. I use the B1 constantly and the battery is rock solid. They are also about the same price but the b1 battery has way more capacity. B2 is 21.6 Wh.

I am not buying anymore Profoto lights because I expected better quality for the price. The plastic model button on the B2 fell off and at close inspection I see it is not very well designed and can easily tear off. I dont use the B2 as much as the B1 and the premature death of the battery is disappointing in terms of quality control of expensive batteries.

My friend, who has a lot of profoto gear, got afew Flashpoint xplor 600 and loves the system especially since you can power it via ac or battery.

May 07, 2017 at 05:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jrulison
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Hey guys I have not been on the site in a long time but when my battery failed my google search returned me here. I purchased my Profoto B2 location system in June 2015 and reached out directly to Profoto US for ideas on why it died etc. After our discussion which was all email correspondence they are taking my battery in. They are not fixing it under warranty as stated that ran out earlier this year, but they are going to give me a discount code to buy a brand new one.

I figured I should at least provided that insight here for anyone else running into the same problem.

Oct 25, 2017 at 05:46 PM
Fotografpaul
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Profoto seems to have some issues with batteries, they had to recall a batch of their new B1X batteries...

Oct 25, 2017 at 07:03 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Batteries need to be maintained depending on their chemistry. It probably discharged below a certain voltage and the charger was unable to recover it. Battery was probably fine until it was allowed to discharge so low. My buddy trashed his VML's that way and I've borked 7b2 batteries from leaving them in a hot car. It's one of those things you dont learn about until it hits your wallet.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_store_batteries

Oct 25, 2017 at 08:37 PM
jrulison
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Mine died while shooting but I had attached it to the charger (something they say is fine) I did not have any issues with my B1 in this instance but it was EXTREMELY hot in the location maybe 105 degree and I did have to use the modeling light. No telling but honestly I am not surprised one of my batteries took a dump I push my Profoto B2 pretty freaking hard and the fact that this is the first issue is impressive.

JR

Oct 26, 2017 at 01:38 PM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

This happened to me recently.

I bought B1's soon after I got hte B2 a few years ago, so my batteries (two of them) don't have that many charge cycles on them.

I was out on a shoot, it lasted all of 2 shots, then shut off and wouldn't power up. I swapped the battery out and it worked fine. The other battery would show fully charged on the indicator built into the battery, but it wouldn't power on the pack for some reason.

I havent charged the battery that's giving me problems yet; but I'll see what happens after i charge it up and see if it still does that same thing.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:48 PM
jrulison
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

bgateb760 wrote:
This happened to me recently.

I bought B1's soon after I got hte B2 a few years ago, so my batteries (two of them) don't have that many charge cycles on them.

I was out on a shoot, it lasted all of 2 shots, then shut off and wouldn't power up. I swapped the battery out and it worked fine. The other battery would show fully charged on the indicator built into the battery, but it wouldn't power on the pack for some reason.

I havent charged the battery that's giving me problems yet; but I'll see what happens after i charge it
...Show more

Make sure you charge your B2 batteries with the B2 charger. The B1 charger does damage to your B2 batteries.

Oct 27, 2017 at 05:21 AM
bgateb760
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

jrulison wrote:
Make sure you charge your B2 batteries with the B2 charger. The B1 charger does damage to your B2 batteries.

i use hte B2 "slow" charger only. i only use the 4.8a b1 quick charger on the B1 batteries.

Dec 03, 2017 at 10:15 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

Crossing fingers mines won't go kaput.

Dec 04, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Profoto B2 Battery Issue?

What I noticed was my B2 batteries will not work if not used for a long time, even when itís fully charged. By a long time, I mean 1-2 weeks.
I bought my spare B2 battery used therefore thereís nothing I can do when it comes to returns/exchanges.
All I know is that I make sure to charge it a day prior to using the damn thing.

Dec 16, 2017 at 12:01 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password