FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

What is limiting you the most?

glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is limiting you the most?

What do you think as a photographer is the biggest barrier to achieving the level of success you want?

Is it you need more gear, need to improve your photography, editing, The Competition, are you exactly where you want to be work and profit wise?

Just like to get some feedback for the sake of interest what shooters see as the hurdle that is blocking or slowing them down in getting to where they would ultimately like to be, if they not there already.

Mar 27, 2017 at 06:13 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is limiting you the most?

For a long time I just cared way too much what other people were doing. There were a few photographers that I always really liked, I always followed, looked at every blog post, and always felt inferior to. If I continued to do that, I would always be a step behind and a shittier version of them. I stopped following 99% of wedding photographers except those who and become friends of mine & started to run my own race and find my own groove. I am focusing on making images that no one else can make, not reliant on techniques, but substance and ideas intrinsic to what I have in front of me at that moment.

From a business standpoint, it was discipline. Discipline to get the work done and allow myself to focus on other things. I always thought I needed an editor, I just needed discipline. The last few weddings I have shot, I have shot on Saturday and they were processed by dinner time on Monday leaving me 4 more days to focus on other things.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:24 PM
ZachOly
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is limiting you the most?

I'm a naturally introverted male and the market as a whole tends to gravitate towards the complete opposite.

Mar 27, 2017 at 01:08 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is limiting you the most?

A couple of new pubs down the road !

Mar 27, 2017 at 01:50 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is limiting you the most?

No limits, only challenges.

Mar 27, 2017 at 02:49 PM
krug
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is limiting you the most?

In my own case when I run out of all of the usual excuses it just comes down to lack of sufficient talent !

Mar 27, 2017 at 03:20 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is limiting you the most?

I think for the most part what is limiting us is the internet/fb and getting our name in front of the clients we want.
We have made a ton of connections with vendors since we moved to CO and went that route but if we could get high on google searches without having to spend a ton of cash on either google adds or ridiculous SEO stuff it would be easier IMO.

And my 4 month old baby... haha
Can't get shit done anymore!

Mar 27, 2017 at 04:17 PM
ZachOly
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What is limiting you the most?

ZachOly wrote:
I'm a naturally introverted male and the market as a whole tends to gravitate towards the complete opposite.

Just to extend this thought a little, I feel like "successful" photographers in my market are constantly gushing about their clients, work and personal life on social media. They rake in the likes and everyone sings their praises.

And because I'm not like that, I feel like I'm not as "successful", even though I may have as many clients and may produce work that's "better".

Mar 27, 2017 at 05:00 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What is limiting you the most?

Being serious !, we are too many, there are too many expert guests in photography and the war of prices. This profession is dying off and just a few will make a consistent living out of it in a no far future.

Mar 27, 2017 at 05:23 PM
Jefzor

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What is limiting you the most?

Lack of ambition. I'm perfectly happy with 5 weddings / year as a weekend warrior.

Mar 27, 2017 at 05:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

InSanE
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What is limiting you the most?

The quiet enveloping darkness at the bottom of a bottle of Jim Beam.
Jesus Creeping God!
Is there a priest in this tavern?
I want to confess!
I'm a fucking sinner!

Mar 27, 2017 at 06:10 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What is limiting you the most?

Just to extend this thought a little, I feel like "successful" photographers in my market are constantly gushing about their clients, work and personal life on social media. They rake in the likes and everyone sings their praises.

And because I'm not like that, I feel like I'm not as "successful"

Success often has very little to do with Facebook likes... and it's often the loudest people whose 'success' is the most deceptive.

ZachOly wrote:
I may have as many clients and may produce work that's "better".

That's better.

There are tons of successful people in this business that don't fit pre-conceived molds and plenty of clients for those people. Don't let your perceptions of others become an excuse for yourself.

Mar 27, 2017 at 06:43 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What is limiting you the most?

I'm about +/- 3 years in doing weddings, and I've had a few consistent hurdles.

1) Discipline. Being your own boss is not for everyone, and probably shouldn't be for me. I do best when I am busy, of course.

2) Committing to this gig. The shift to me doing photography full time was aligned with a new child and a career move for my wife. Our view of the economics of things is constantly shifting, and shifting further with our second on the way this summer, the occasional dissatisfaction with employer, and a second small business opening soon (her, not me). Talk to me in a year, I might be busting my hump to book weddings, or I might be doing occasional weddings and working somewhere else...or I might be her full time secretary.

3) The above 2 things are what get in the way of productivity and clear planning for the business. For the business, though, my biggest hurdle is simply getting in front of the right clients and booking. I'm in a weird place between the budget minded and average priced, depending upon the metro/rural area that the couple is in.

@glort - Thanks for starting this thread. It was good for me to mull that over and put it down in words. Look forward to seeing some other responses. You'll notice, nobody is complaining about gear being the problem .

Mar 27, 2017 at 06:43 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What is limiting you the most?

Kidneys.

Mar 27, 2017 at 09:52 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What is limiting you the most?

What's holding me back is that I just couldn't be arsed. My motivation to go out and chase clients/growth is non existent. I'm comfortable but I know I could do better. Right now though, I have zero interest building my business.

I'm worn out and tired of working. I've been here before. It'll pass.......

Gordon

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What is limiting you the most?

I am not passionate about wedding photography, but my real passions probably wont support me or my family so my mind is always elsewhere. At the same time my narcissim about the work I make gets in the way of how quickly I can get I can get work finished. If I cared less about It could get stuff done faster but the ass clenching competiton and the clients comments that my work looks better then my competiton at the same price point makes it hard for me to change the process. I also dont want to manage other people and after going through 6 editors I find If I want the best work I have to edit myself. I would have to pay too much to get the quality I need to be competitve.

As introverted male I also suffer from social media and networking nilhism. I cant pretend to be freinds with someone knowing the relationship is motivated by money.

Ritalin would probably solve my problems.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:19 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What is limiting you the most?

BSPhotog wrote:
@glort@ - Thanks for starting this thread. It was good for me to mull that over and put it down in words. Look forward to seeing some other responses. You'll notice, nobody is complaining about gear being the problem .

Well I didn't really expect many people to suggest gear but I certainly wasn't expecting the replies so far or the honesty in giving them. Quite an eye Opener.

Myself, I'm with Flash.
My motivation to get off my arse and do anything at all is Zero ATM.

I'm looking for a new house and it's turning into a night mare. I had delusions of grandeur of what we could have had a year ago but the housing market is absoloutley insane here and the quality of houses available has plummeted while the price has skyrocketed. Even so, When I search for places twice my Budget, there is so little even available, the pie in the sky pricing becomes irrelevant.

The main thing though is I am missing my boy very badly and not sure I'll ever get over that. Tends to come into and over rule everything I think about, anywhere I go or anything I do.
I have an itch I want to scratch and get back into things but I just can't summon up the inclination to scratch it.

I am jealous and annoyed with a mate of mine and have been for some time. He has LOADS of motivation and drive, works like a dog and has blind faith in what he is doing.

Unfortunately he also had blind ignorance and stubborness and won't listen to reason or logic.
He's been working for years on his pipe dream and it's caused him nothing but heartbreak and near financial ruin. Not only will he not listen to advise from qualified people, he won't hear of crunching any numbers or altering his direction to overcome the problems that keep smacking him down. It's not a matter of not quitting, it's a matter of doing the same thing, making the same mistakes and expecting not only a different result but a pie in the sky fairy tale to come true.

I look at him and think if I just had 1/10 of the drive and motivation he did, I be able to achieve so much of what I would like to do and be in such a better place within myself. Friends and I look at him and say if he applied his effort to something sensible, he could achieve everything he dreams of.

I also look at a lot of people here and think If I had their dedication and talent, the sky would be the limit.

For those of you that have young kids, Fk everything else.
As long as there is a roof over your head and food on the table and you have them, that's all that matters. Forget what you want and dedicate yourself to them because if you do anything else, you will come to regret it and maybe hate yourself for it in time to come. Guaranteed.

And while it might seem the most obvious thing to tell this audience, You NEVER have enough pictures of them. Or video. When you think you have, take more because you are wrong but unfortunately it's a mistake you won't realise till you can't do anything about it. There is never any going back.
They grow at the speed of light and what you think is the everyday now, will be gone in a heart beat.

And those pics you do take, back them up. Pedantically. Have a set at home you use, a set on a separate and non connected HDD you only back up to and another set on a HDD off premises somewhere.

There is no job in the world you'll ever do as Important as taking happy snaps of your kids in the backyard or on the lounge-room floor.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:33 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What is limiting you the most?

Myself and probably not doing enough self-congratulations and client boasting on social media.

Then again, as a part-timer this helps guarantee I have client volume I can actually handle so I'm not sure how bad of a thing it is.

I really admire those of you who do this full time and do it successfully.

Mar 28, 2017 at 01:02 AM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What is limiting you the most?

Depth of Feel wrote:
As introverted male I also suffer from social media and networking nilhism. I cant pretend to be freinds with someone knowing the relationship is motivated by money.

I don't know if I'd qualify as being introverted but I just cannot stomach the transparent, insincere BULLSHIT that social media seems to be all about.
It literally makes me gag and think " WTF is wrong with these candy arsed, pussy morons?"
Who carrys on like that? Are so many people really THAT deluded?
It makes me feel both sick and insulted.

In sales, I do very well with my rough as guts, straight up, tell it like it is disposition. I have made a point in fact of telling people what they don't want to hear because they seem to appreciate it and know when I pay a compliment or say something nice, I do mean it.

Maybe I burn people as well. That's fine. I don't want to deal with them even less than they would want to deal with me. Luckily over the years there have been enough people that can tolerate my less that syrupy sweet style to keep me going along nicely. :0)

Ritalin would probably solve my problems.

Wish to hell it would solve mine.

They put me on Anti depressants once. I'm stupid and dopey enough without chemicals to make me feel even more stupid and in a fog. If they are ANTI depressants, why the heck did the doc have me coming back every week which I found out later was to keep an eye on me in case I was suicidal as was a well known side effect of the tablets!
I wasn't suicidal before they gave me the rubbish Poison so why in the hell would you give that to a depressed person??

The Doc said they aren't happy pills. I said then Why not? That's exactly what I bloody need!

Later I was given Cholesterol tablets because that was a little, just a little, High.
I was going to the gym and getting quite fit although the Mrs was having trouble getting shirts to go round my shoulders. All the sudden it was like I had the Flu. Runny nose, ached like I had been hit by a truck, couldn't do 1/4 of what I had been at the gym, tired, constant feeling of exhaustion, headaches, Nausea......

I thought something is wrong, what's changed? Then I remembered the new pills I had been given a month ago. Looked them up and I had every side effect listed. My mate I go to the Gym with came over. I asked, what have I been bitching about the last couple of weeks? He recited my complaints. I said look at this. He was stunned. He said that's everything you have been saying! Yup!

I had an appointment with the Doc the next day, a very kindly, mature faithful woman.
I looked her dead in the eye and told her she could shove those pills fair up her arse because they were poisoning me and I was completely pissed off she would give me that without even warning me in the first place. I had been going out my mind worrying what was wrong and if I had got, or something very serious had happened.To say I was less pleased when she said they were more a preventative in case things got to high than a need, would be a gross understatement.

I won't put a thing in my mouth now unless I look it up first and see the harm it can do rather than the possible good.

I take my Diabetes medication I need to stay alive. Pretty much everything else they want to give me I find can be treated at the Gym and I don't need to fill myself with more damn Chemicals that ALWAYS have a negative side effect.

Mar 28, 2017 at 01:12 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What is limiting you the most?

I strongly urge anyone who thinks they are not a social media darling not to dispair. I don't even have a personal FB page and we'll do close to 300kUSD in wedding photography/video this year.

When the history of the world is written, social media will be remember as the biggest time wasting distraction of all ages. Probably kills productivity more than alcohol.

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password