Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Point and shoot suggestions....

die_kruzen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Point and shoot suggestions....

Hello all, well here is a question that has probably been posted quite a bit..but the camera world seems to change quickly. Do any of you have a suggestion of a point and shoot that combines very good image and video quality?

We are planning a trip to Florida. What I would like is a point and shoot camera that won't make me miss my Fuji X-T1 too much while it sits at home. I would like a camera that does well in low light and has a zoom that extends at least 100mm.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Point and shoot suggestions....

Sony RX100 series is the go-to. 1" sensor, 28-105 equivalent zoom, pretty good image quality and very compact.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Point and shoot suggestions....

RX100 has been my small and light "pocket camera" solution since the first version was released. Nothing else has come along since to change my mind. My third one is in my bag now - I have upgraded as new features were introduced.

Mar 25, 2017 at 01:07 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Point and shoot suggestions....

Jman13 wrote:
Sony RX100 series is the go-to. 1" sensor, 28-105 equivalent zoom, pretty good image quality and very compact.

The last models are about 24-70 and I think image quality has slipped just slightly, but the flare spot is gone. I have the RX100MII and MIV. Both are good and make great holiday cameras. Not sure about video, maybe the MV is better.

Mar 25, 2017 at 02:11 PM
die_kruzen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Point and shoot suggestions....

Hello all and thank you for the responses. Funny, we've had a RX100 for several years. I guess I am a bit surprised nothing else has come along to better it (by a decent margin). I just put a memory card in the RX and will take it out for a little shoot this morning. Again, thank you for the thoughts/opinions and if you have any additional info...I would like too hear it.

Pete

Mar 26, 2017 at 08:11 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Point and shoot suggestions....

The Panasonic LX100 is also quite good. The better all-in-one cameras are out there, but they're fixed lens. Things like the Fuji X70 and X100, the Sony RX1 series, etc.

Mar 26, 2017 at 08:56 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Point and shoot suggestions....

I like the IQ of Canon G1X for stills. Don't know about video quality, since I've not used it. Very good 1.5" sensor (like a 4:3 crop APS-C) and excellent zoom lens. Slightly larger than most P&S, but not bad. Much smaller than the smallest DSLR or even Sony APS-C mirrorless with zoom lens.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Point and shoot suggestions....

I think that if you have the money you can't go wrong with the later iterations of the Sony RX100 line, it's a refined camera model and there's a reason why they continue to be so popular.

Depending on your needs, the Panasonic LX100 can be a good choice too. A bigger body with a lot more manual controls. Just be aware the slow power-zoom operation, it may not be an issue for a landscape shooter, but it bothered me a lot for street-shooting to the point I had to sell it a few months after I bought it.

I've recently bought a Panasonic LS100 (or TZ100 in Europe). Even though on paper almost every specs of this camera are inferior to the LX100, i'm enjoying using it a lot more. The sensor is good and the operation fast. The lens is a very versatile 25-250mm f/2.8-5.9, it's not a stellar lens but not awful either.

I have to say I had some preocupations with the AF performance since it misfocused a lot of shots, but I discovered this is a problem that seems to plague Panasonic cameras when used with multi-AF points: it's not a problem of lack of AF accuracy or quickness, it just seems a software-related problem in which the camera chooses to focus on the closest objects (even if the "object" is the plain ground on a landscape). This also happened with the LX100 and the LF1. I'm still testing the camera but using just the center focus point seems to resolve this issue.

Mar 26, 2017 at 07:21 PM
die_kruzen
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Point and shoot suggestions....

Hello All and thank you for the continued responses. Sr.Cordeiro thank you for the details about your experiences.

So, I took our RX100 out the other day. I did not shoot video nor did I shot RAW.
My thoughts:

I did not like the jpg files that were produced....seemed very contrasty. However, I need to test using RAW as that is what I normally use.

I really, really missed the EVF. I didn't get used to using the camera like an iPhone.

So, I have been doing some digging. Seems to me it's pretty much down to the LX100 (or LX10), using the RX100 (it's my wife's camera), the Canon G5 X, or the Canon G 7X II. The G5 X has my attention since it does have an EVF.

Thanks again all...

Mar 27, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Sr.Cordeiro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Point and shoot suggestions....

I was ready to buy the G5X too since it seemed to check all the boxes for me, until I realized it only takes 1.2 fps when shooting RAW, a bit disapointing for street photography and impossible to make sweep of shots for stitching in a satisfactory way.

Mar 27, 2017 at 07:30 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Point and shoot suggestions....

About the Rx100 series. The later versions add a tilting view screen, then a real electronic viewfinder. They might be better appreciated if they had completely different names (ie RX200, RX 300)

The tilting screen and EVF are game changers in terms of shooting style. These are the two features that are most unlike "iphone" style shooting. For example, the tilting screen allows me to keep the camera down at my hip and keep shooting street scenes. Same with the EVF in super bright daylight.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:23 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Point and shoot suggestions....

If you're willing to go with a slightly larger camera, check out the RX-10. It does have some shortcomings (i.e. battery life and terrible menu organization) but if you can deal with those things it may meet your needs.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:55 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.