Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Minimal MacBook Air or Pro Configuration For Lr?

jamesego

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Minimal MacBook Air or Pro Configuration For Lr?

Hey Everyone,

I need a tethering-slash-image review solution for away gigs. I've been using an old MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid-2012, with 4GB of RAM), but it's started corrupting RAW files during upload. Also, I never really tried to tether with it, mostly due to the screen size.

I don't need anything super high-spec. I will be using it for Lightroom to review images with clients during breaks, and maybe a little light Ps work at the end of the day. I'd like to keep the form factor at 13˝ if at all possible, and a built-in SD card reader is preferable.

What are you all using? Can I get by with 8 gigs of RAM? Right now, I'm looking at the 13.3˝ late 2016 MacBook Pro (2.0Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) that's currently on sale at B&H. I'm also considering a similarly spec'd 13.3˝ MacBook Air.

Understanding that any serious posting will be done on my main machine back at the office, should I pony up for 16GB of RAM? Or, should I buck up and snag a remaining mid-2015 15.4˝ MacBook Pro while I still can?

Also, I'll admit to not knowing much about Windows these days, but I'm not adverse to hearing about any other options I may be missing.

Thanks!

– James

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Minimal MacBook Air or Pro Configuration For Lr?

i have a Mid 2015 MBP 15" (2.5 GHZ, 512 SSD, 16GB RAM, 2GB card) and it is fantastic. i sometimes have 4-5 1GB psd files open at a time, plus have indesign, LR, etc open - and powering external monitor.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:41 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Minimal MacBook Air or Pro Configuration For Lr?

After decades of using various Powerbook and MacBook Pros for location work, I recently purchased a !3" MacBook Air (Core i7 1.tGhz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD) and couldn't be happier.

Love the form factor, great battery life and overall function. I don't shoot tethered but do download several hundred to several thousand images in the course of a day. While the performance is not on par with a desktop workstation, it's not disappointing.

Not to mention really appreciate the SD card slot and the mag safe charging connection.

It wouldn't be an optimum choice for pounding out bushels of 80MP RAW files, but for medium to light duty, it does just fine.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM
jamesego

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Minimal MacBook Air or Pro Configuration For Lr?

Very good—thank you both!

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Minimal MacBook Air or Pro Configuration For Lr?

Is it going to be your main machine ?

I have pretty much the same Air as you and it runs Lightroom pretty well . Actually it can do most of my computing needs ok . Dock it to a monitor and it's a sort of desktop replacement .
But I also have a 2012 i7 iMac for heavier lifting .

If I was looking for a 13" that could be a better desktop replacement and mobile machine then the new 13" pro with the bar look very nice . Not sure the spec of the one without the bar is worth the price .
A high spec previous gen Pro is probably still worth a look . The upside is you still get an ad reader in that as well as legacy USB ports .

Mar 26, 2017 at 05:06 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.