New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

fingerlessfred
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

Teach dig photo program that is 2 year course set. Thinking and budgeting a medium format set up. I bring in my hassy setup to give them that, but it's one drop away from disaster. My (advanced) kids love using it, and it motivates them to shoot differently. Anyways- thinking pentax 645d or hassy H1/2. Obviously it has to be older and on the lowest end of budget. Im probably able to spend as much as 2.5-$3k at this point. Anyone have an opinion?
Thanks for the advise.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

Why is medium format necessary? Are you going to teach a course with everyone using a single camera? I can't envision a course with one camera for all the students.

Mar 25, 2017 at 02:12 PM
fingerlessfred
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

From an educational point of view it makes sense to give the kids who have a true interest in photography to have the opportunity to use different camera types. I provide every student with a Nikon d300 kit. But to answer the question- I would only get 1 kit. It would be used on every photo trip we go on. Right now I have it in the budget if I want BC of CTE grants. This program gets kids Adobe certification through the photog courses.

Mar 25, 2017 at 02:57 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

I'd go with P645d and the very good 75mm f/2.8 in that case. The Pentax also has the advantage of being very robust to abuse.

Mar 28, 2017 at 06:27 AM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

I'm not so sure this approach will have the jntended effect. Back in the film days, the difference between 35mm and large format was day and night. Approach, tools, certainly the cameras, processing, subjects, etc were vastly different. Today, the difference is mainly in detail only seen on large prints. Otherwise, processing, approach, even subject are very similar. Yes, it would be more difficult to shoot, for example, football with medium format, but the difference is not so great as if you were using a 5x7 view camera back in the film days. In my view, the education provided would not be worth the expense. The advantage of having all that detail should certainly be presented. Retouching a portrait shot with 50 or 100MP is quite different than doing so with 20MP. Just my opinion, of course.

Mar 28, 2017 at 07:44 AM
fingerlessfred
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

Thanks- I was thinking the same.

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:26 AM
fingerlessfred
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Digital medium format setup for HS photo course

I'm not so sure this approach will have the jntended effect. Back in the film days, the difference between 35mm and large format was day and night. Approach, tools, certainly the cameras, processing, subjects, etc were vastly different. Today, the difference is mainly in detail only seen on large prints. Otherwise, processing, approach, even subject are very similar. Yes, it would be more difficult to shoot, for example, football with medium format, but the difference is not so great as if you were using a 5x7 view camera back in the film days. In my view, the education provided would not...Show more

This is true, and your point makes sense. (This will sound crazy) I am at a budgetary scenario where I have money to burn. I cant buy more computers, and I cant future buy computers either. I cant buy more cameras, although I could buy upgraded cameras (currently D300 x 35). I only know that the few kids who have the maturity and are responsible enough to be trusted should have the opportunity to use gear they normally would never be able to. Especially if it excited them about photog.

I would use a film version; get a hassey and call it a day. When I talked to my admin they couldnt understand why I would use film- convert to dig via scanning. "just get a digital version" was the basic response. lol

Mar 28, 2017 at 09:36 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.