FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Jimi3 wrote:
Well, ok, that's why I've specified I'm a beginner! Also, this is bare off camera flash - I discovered that my flash bender is basically useless in bright sun, and was without any other modifiers. First time doing this and all! But my question stands to both of you who insist I should be shooting natural light and/or that I'm hung up on "conforming" to a look - how would you handle this situation? On an overcast day or in a location with shade available, I could certainly go natural light or add a just a kick of flash, but
...Show more

Direct sun can look fine on dogs as it brings out the texture on the fur otherwise do what what I suggest in my first reply: backlight the dog and then raise the amount of light on the dog (which will be shadow).

Many people when they discover flash like the unnatural overpower-the-sun look because it looks dramatic and go on searching for more and more power or sync speeds. When you have a hammer everything looks like a nail. Usually as they go on growing as a photographer, they become more nuanced with their use of artificial light which is why you hardly ever see it in the work of the top photogs. A little goes a long way, anything more than 30% flash typically looks quite unnatural and artificial.

Mar 28, 2017 at 03:15 PM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Hey,

Big Godox fan here, TT600, TT685, AD360-ii, AD600 and up until yesterday the AD200.

My AD200 actually crapped out on me yesterday, I was getting to a point where it would only fire 1 HSS shot from cold and then would not fire for 10 seconds, this is typically the symptom of thermal protection but the AD200 was beeping instantly after a full power dump so it looks like it went faulty.

Long and short, if you plan on using HSS as an integral part of your work, I'd really advise you to try and invest in as much power as possible. Your always going to have to trade weight against performance but if you have to push these units at full power using HSS things are going to slow down. HSS gets more demanding as you increase the shutter above sync speed. Believe me, when using HSS you never have enough power and with smaller lights it's a constant battle.

Take a look at the AD600 with the HB-600 head, you can eliminate virtually all of the weight from the head. The AD200 whilst it's compact is still heavy, by the time you add a modifier it's worryingly heavy, you're either going to need an assistant, a spare leg or a c-stand.

PS: I really like the Dog Breath images, they're using wide angle lens distortion and flash to really put you in the frame and create something different. I'm not sure what focal length your using but to get the look they have your going to need to go wide, at a guess around 20-24mm, maybe wider.

Apr 26, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Jimi3
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

dougfatheruk wrote:
Hey,

Big Godox fan here, TT600, TT685, AD360-ii, AD600 and up until yesterday the AD200.

My AD200 actually crapped out on me yesterday, I was getting to a point where it would only fire 1 HSS shot from cold and then would not fire for 10 seconds, this is typically the symptom of thermal protection but the AD200 was beeping instantly after a full power dump so it looks like it went faulty.

Long and short, if you plan on using HSS as an integral part of your work, I'd really advise you to try and invest in as much power as possible.
...Show more

Thanks Doug. I actually ordered an AD200 a few days ago, so we'll see how I get on with that. I figure the added power has got to speed up recycle times as compared to my speed lights, right? Given its lower price point than real strobes, it seemed like the place to start.

The Dog Breath stuff definitely has a certain look, but I like it. I definitely get the criticism as well, but I like the whimsy, and I know her clients love it, as she tends to be booked like a year in advance. That's got to say something. Those wide angle shots are apparently with a 16-35 f/2.8.

Apr 29, 2017 at 05:07 AM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

It definitely sounds like you're on the right path. Your going to see increased recycle times, increased power and increased battery duration.

Definitely worth putting it through its paces with HSS when it arrives, I'm sure mine was an isolated case but I'd be interested to hear from other AD200 users.

I really like the Dog Breath shots, I might even try something similar myself, inspiring!

Good luck!

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:13 PM
fplstudio
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

I recently took an Ad200 and cannot be happier. The 860ii - that I own too - is fast to recycle but the main issue was the overheating protection kicking for my usual stuff that is outdoor portraiture. With the Ad200 problem solved as I barely touch now 1/4 of power. For the sake of clarity, I always shoot in HSS.
Imo the only disadvantage of the Ad200 comes when you plan to do on camera flash, which is not my case.

May 08, 2017 at 03:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password