New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Jimi3
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Hi guys, so I am loving my godox tt685s on my a7rii, but in daylight at reasonably high power (getting toward overpowering the sun), recycle times are abysmal and I really need to improve them - I'm working on some outdoor dog portraiture, and waiting many seconds for the flash to recycle is killing me. So, I've come up with a few options -

1. Get the lithium ion powered v860ii. Supposedly it's mostly identical to my flashes but recycles faster- anyone know how much of a real world difference there is?

2. Get an external battery pack. I've never dealt with these before, but supposedly with these recycle time can be nearly instant. The downside is juggling another item - I'm already holding the camera in one hand and the flash off camera in the other. If I go this route, is it practical to hang the battery from my belt and have the cord to the flash extended at arms length?

3. Go with the new, compact, and weird godox ad200. This looks like it would give me good power and portability, and I'm assuming it's compatible with my wireless trigger. Not sure about attaching modifiers to this thing, though.

Any input here? Better solutions?

Mar 25, 2017 at 04:02 AM
nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

If you shoot outdoor in that condition very often then AD200 will get rid of recycling time problems, but you have to carry a light stand or do diy flash bracket for the AD

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:25 AM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Honestly… I'd say learn to use natural light better and bring in a proper reflector (ScrimJim or Cali Sunbounce) and make your work less about gear and more about having fun with the dogs. Or… get the battery pack. Your recycle times will drop to 0, and they're super easy to "juggle" (strap over shoulder or belt clip is great), but you might run the risk of frying your light as you will shoot in an overzealous way and lose awareness of the light overheating.

Moving to the AD200 is unnecessary overkill and for your purposes IMO a step backwards- recycle times will be slower than the speedlight/battery pack option, and flash duration will be slower, likely introducing blur. And if you think a battery pack is clumsy you're going to hate working with that head design.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:41 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

jlafferty wrote:
Honestly… I'd say learn to use natural light better and bring in a proper reflector (ScrimJim or Cali Sunbounce) and make your work less about gear and more about having fun with the dogs.

This. Needing this much power really shouldn't be necessary to take pictures of a dog, the vast majority of the time you probably don't even need any flash at all. Just backlight the dog and then raise the amount of light on the dog (which will be shadow) by about 1 stop.

If there is some very specific look you are creating, post some examples.

jlafferty wrote:
Or… get the battery pack. Your recycle times will drop to 0, and they're super easy to "juggle" (strap over shoulder or belt clip is great), but you might run the risk of frying your light as you will shoot in an overzealous way and lose awareness of the light overheating.

...and this

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Jimi3
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am pretty new to this, having been just a landscape guy for quite a while....but I'm trying to branch out. With these shots I was going for some drama - dialing down the ambient and going heavy on the flash. I'm posting a couple shots from a recent test shoot - just a first attempt at retaining sky/clouds at the beach on a sunny day. Too heavy on the flash, but you get the idea.

I don't see how I would have done this in backlighting without flash - are you saying to use a reflector to raise the light on the dog? Is that really sufficient to overcome the exposure difference with the sky? The other problem of course is wrangling someone into being an assistant to hold the reflector! I'm also assuming that facing the dog into the sun, as opposed to backlighting, is generally a bad idea....As you can see, I am still learning. Ideas/resources about learning to work with natural light better for dog/human portraits?

As far as my original question - the battery pack indeed sounds like the way to go, so thanks.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Jimi3
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

I've not been using off camera flash long, but my general inspiration for this approach has been Kaylee Greer of Dog Breath Photography, who does some really cool stuff with what I am assuming are strobes on locations -www.dogbreathphoto.com

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:35 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

If you're hung up on conforming to that look, yes, you'll need strobe.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:25 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Jimi3 wrote:
waiting many seconds for the flash to recycle is killing me. So, I've come up with a few options -

1. Get the lithium ion powered v860ii. Supposedly it's mostly identical to my flashes but recycles faster- anyone know how much of a real world difference there is?

They recycle as quickly as an external battery pack.

Using an external pack means a total of 12AAs vs. one lithium pack; extra cables to get caught on stuff; more stuff to remember to bring, setup, and teardown.

I use the v860ii.

PS: some nice work in your samples. Congrats on such a well-behaved model

Mar 26, 2017 at 03:04 AM
Jimi3
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

kaplah wrote:

Using an external pack means a total of 12AAs vs. one lithium pack; extra cables to get caught on stuff; more stuff to remember to bring, setup, and teardown.

Oh wow, ok. In that case it may be the v860ii. Like I said, my hands are already full - plus on the above shots I was really low to the ground - so avoiding any other entanglements is probably a good idea.

Mar 26, 2017 at 04:16 AM
Jimi3
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

And thanks! I really could use an extra set of hands for these, though.....an assistant to hold the light would free up a hand for a toy or something to get her to look at the camera.

Mar 26, 2017 at 04:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

leethecam
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

jlafferty wrote:
If you're hung up on conforming to that look, yes, you'll need strobe.

I think point the OP was making is that he had an image in mind, and created it. The only way to create it is to use strobe.

Natural light can lovely - but only when it is where we want it to be, or when it can be manipulated appropriately, (and often reflectors and diffusion don't cut it).

We can let the light dictate our shots and create our best from that, or we can dictate the shot by controlling the light. Both have their merits.

There is no "hung up" on a style of imagery. We get to choose, and then we choose the tools to make it happen.

Mar 26, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

leethecam wrote:
I think point the OP was making is that he had an image in mind, and created it. The only way to create it is to use strobe.

Natural light can lovely - but only when it is where we want it to be, or when it can be manipulated appropriately, (and often reflectors and diffusion don't cut it).

We can let the light dictate our shots and create our best from that, or we can dictate the shot by controlling the light. Both have their merits.

There is no "hung up" on a style of imagery. We get to choose, and then
...Show more

I do hear what you are saying but with all respect to the OP, the 'green screened' looking blasted with flash look is often a phase many photogs go through when they start learning and using lighting. Just look at the strobist.com flickr group.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:52 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Power packs aren't necessarily AA battery based:

https://www.adorama.com/fpppbp960.html

They will enable your strobe to recycle faster than they can on internal power alone.

Remembering a pack and cable shouldn't be too hard to manage :/

I simplify things by keeping the entire system in a pouch and after a gig ends it all gets thrown back in there. So, for instance, it will have: pair of triggers, spare AA batteries for the triggers, power cable for battery pack to speedlight, speedlight bracket. Then all I have to grab is the speedlight, the power pack, and this pouch and I know I'm good.

kaplah wrote:

I use the v860ii.

PS: some nice work in your samples. Congrats on such a well-behaved model

Mar 26, 2017 at 01:03 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

jlafferty wrote:
Power packs aren't necessarily AA battery based:

https://www.adorama.com/fpppbp960.html

I have two of those, now relegated to powering an AD360II. For the benefit of the OP, they, compared to a Pixel TD-382 ( a good aftermarket AA battery pack ):
- are about 4 times more expensive (including good AA's for the Pixel)
- weight quite a bit more
- are about four times as bulky
- have thick, not too flexible cables
- have a very high capacity, e.g., a lot of full-power pops

Compared to the V860II, they are no better for recycle (on an SB-900), cost a lot more than just getting the V860II in the first place, and are tremendously more bulky - which matters if one is transporting a multi-flash setup.

I've used the PB860 both off-camera and on-camera (battery pack on the hip with cable going to on-camera SB-900, for bounce flash at events). I can't tell you how much more convenient, and faster to setup/teardown, the V860II is. The PB860 power packs were, for me, an interim solution.

Mar 26, 2017 at 03:04 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Jimi3 wrote:
[...] If I go this route, is it practical to hang the battery from my belt and have the cord to the flash extended at arms length?
[...]

I meant to comment on this. Yes, it is practical. But you won't enjoy it! The cable gets caught on stuff, pulls at the flash, and so on. When this was the only choice, it's what was done and people just lived with the inconvenience. I believe the better way is here in the form of the V860II.

Mar 26, 2017 at 03:10 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Most of your numbers are way off and you're exaggerating how difficult it is to manage a power pack so I'll just agree that we disagree. Here's the actual numbers vs the AA pack route, including weight, size, recycle time and price:

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-pb960-lithium-power-pack-review/

It is accurate to say that if throwing a strap over your shoulder and plugging in a single cord puts you over the edge in setup time and cable management, then you'll be much happier just going to a speedlight.

kaplah wrote:
I have two of those, now relegated to powering an AD360II. For the benefit of the OP, they, compared to a Pixel TD-382 ( a good aftermarket AA battery pack ):
- are about 4 times more expensive (including good AA's for the Pixel)
- weight quite a bit more
- are about four times as bulky
- have thick, not too flexible cables
- have a very high capacity, e.g., a lot of full-power pops

Compared to the V860II, they are no better for recycle (on an SB-900), cost a lot more than just getting the V860II in the first place, and are tremendously more
...Show more

Mar 26, 2017 at 03:47 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

jlafferty wrote:
Most of your numbers are way off and you're exaggerating how difficult it is to manage a power pack so I'll just agree that we disagree. Here's the actual numbers vs the AA pack route, including weight, size, recycle time and price:

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-pb960-lithium-power-pack-review/

It is accurate to say that if throwing a strap over your shoulder and plugging in a single cord puts you over the edge in setup time and cable management, then you'll be much happier just going to a speedlight.

I got the price from this link (https://www.adorama.com/fpppbp960.html); although on examination they are now running about $100, compared to a Pixel TD-382 at $28 + batteries, so thank you for causing me to look a little harder.

I'm comfortable with the rest of it.

Regarding "...over the edge in setup time and cable management,...", no single thing puts one over the edge, but every advantage is worth having.

Mar 26, 2017 at 05:38 PM
Jimi3
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Mark_L wrote:
I do hear what you are saying but with all respect to the OP, the 'green screened' looking blasted with flash look is often a phase many photogs go through when they start learning and using lighting. Just look at the strobist.com flickr group.

Well, ok, that's why I've specified I'm a beginner! Also, this is bare off camera flash - I discovered that my flash bender is basically useless in bright sun, and was without any other modifiers. First time doing this and all! But my question stands to both of you who insist I should be shooting natural light and/or that I'm hung up on "conforming" to a look - how would you handle this situation? On an overcast day or in a location with shade available, I could certainly go natural light or add a just a kick of flash, but I'm honestly wondering how you guys would approach shooting on a beach in full sun - other than the obvious here of dialing the ambient back up and adding less flash.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:04 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

double-tap, oops

Edited on Mar 27, 2017 at 02:24 AM · View previous versions

Mar 27, 2017 at 02:23 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need faster recycle time on Godox tt685s

Jimi3 wrote:
[...] how would you handle this situation? [...]

If you like the look of the "Dog Breath" images - and I do, but it's personal choice unless you have a client who wants something specific - then handle it with off-camera flash, under-exposing ambient about one stop, as it appears was done on the referenced images.

The front-page image was done with one light in, I think, a beauty dish. Notice the round catchlights in the eyes.

Mar 27, 2017 at 02:24 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password