New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

crashwins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

For my studio I really try to stick to a one-light setup with reflectors (1 Streaklight 360 and the collapsible kind). I use this with a 46" Softlighter. I could use more lights, but I really like to keep it less complicated. Anyway...

I'd love to have something more portable for waist-high shots (1 person) at events (I'm doing a Girls on the Run event in April where I could avoid my C-stand. Maybe grab painter's pole with an adapter -- or just weigh done a very lightweight lighting stand. Any recommendations with my Streaklight 360 and the Bowens S-type Clamp? The issue with the Softlighter is that it's a bit big and you have to have it face away from you. It's also not something I can really just throw in my car while open. I was thinking a 36" Octa like the one below or also the Cheetah Ricebowl looks pretty cool (the RB-90). Thinking 36" would be a magic size for handling a modifier and for the power of the SL 360 and using HSS in the sun, etc.

Or, maybe my idea is ridiculous. Either way Thanks!

Mar 24, 2017 at 09:37 PM
jlafferty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

Not sure about either of the mods you've listed - if I had to get one it'd be the RB. But everything I hear is SMDV makes the best small, collapsible parabolics and they are priced accordingly (still MUCH cheaper than the big name brands though).

Otherwise it seems like an OK plan provided you've got someone to hold the light and move with you. If it's just you, stick with the standard reflector and learn to use it more creatively - I suggest you comb over Brian Finke's IG to see how a pro shooting for Nat Geo and others uses these small lights to interesting effect. Not suggesting you need to emulate his style, just suggesting you see how he holds/carries and shoots with them.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:52 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

jlafferty wrote:
Not sure about either of the mods you've listed - if I had to get one it'd be the RB. But everything I hear is SMDV makes the best small, collapsible parabolics and they are priced accordingly (still MUCH cheaper than the big name brands though).

Otherwise it seems like an OK plan provided you've got someone to hold the light and move with you. If it's just you, stick with the standard reflector and learn to use it more creatively - I suggest you comb over Brian Finke's IG to see how a pro shooting for Nat Geo and others
...Show more

Thanks! Interesting: I've heard a few things about the SMDV modifiers..I'll need to look them up. I think if I had something in the 36" range I might not need a collapsible kind, because that's not huge in size. I'll check out Brian Finke - I'm all over IG

I was also thinking I could use a big gridded reflector for outdoor stuff too? That might be an option. The small reflector for the Streaklight might not be ideal...

Mar 25, 2017 at 01:43 PM
jlafferty
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

If you're going larger, hard reflector check out that $32 beauty dish made to fit the 360 - it's decent! Comes with a grid and sock. The way I see it: if you want broad coverage with a clean edged shadow, go standard reflector. It is however a bit flat in the mids. The beauty dish holds the mids better, and probably provides similar coverage, but has a softer shadow edge, too.

Mar 25, 2017 at 01:57 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

I have and like the Rb-90, but I can certainly see the benefits of the SMDV/Glow folding SBs. If I was starting over I'd probably get one of those instead.

C

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:42 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

Yeah the SMDV mods look pretty awesome...I'm not sure I want to pay the premium just to have the folding function. I have the Luxbanx in the 18" version and while I've never really used it, it's excellent quality. Thinking that might be the way to go just because it's pretty inexpensive. Although the RB-90 does have the added grid, which seems pretty cool.

What do you all think about the "deep" aspect of the Para versus the Octa; how does that affect the light, spillage, etc? Thanks

Mar 26, 2017 at 06:37 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

Below is what I use and it provides a beautiful quality of light, they offer white too if you want a softer look, but that is why I use the front diffuser when required. It opens up in under 30 seconds, small when folded and I keep my Cheetah 360II light attached to it. It has a front diffuser included that simply slips over it (very fast) not that time-consuming velcro option most have.

They do offer a

40" option here also

Here are some actual images were taken with this modifier.

Apr 09, 2017 at 02:38 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

Just add on-camera flash

Apr 09, 2017 at 03:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

A true flash head

Apr 09, 2017 at 05:18 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

c.d.embrey wrote:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61O1n1Re4NL._SL1100_.jpg
Just add on-camera flash

Haha, excellent!

Apr 09, 2017 at 10:52 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

Cphoto1954 wrote:
Below is what I use and it provides a beautiful quality of light, they offer white too if you want a softer look, but that is why I use the front diffuser when required. It opens up in under 30 seconds, small when folded and I keep my Cheetah 360II light attached to it. It has a front diffuser included that simply slips over it (very fast) not that time-consuming velcro option most have.

They do offer a

40" option here also

Here are some actual images were taken with this modifier.

Thanks for reviving this! I still haven't made any decisions, sticking to my Softlighter when need be. Funny, I was looking at the Cheetah stuff the other day, specifically their RiceBowls, but I don't have any understanding of "deep" mods and what they do. What you linked looks pretty nice and having something foldable would definitely be a hit. You think the AD360 could handle the 40"? Thanks

Apr 09, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

The Esy Box is exactly what yo want imo. It just pops up.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

Mark_L wrote:
The Esy Box is exactly what yo want imo. It just pops up.

http://www.dontpanik.com/blog/uploads/eugene/stuff/lastolite_ezybox_hotshoe.jpg

Thx, but that's for Speedlites

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:39 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

+1 to the SMDV. I have the 28" and it's very portable, provides a nice light and takes a grid (the gird is very pricey). I use it mainly during events or when I don't have an assistant. I have the Bowen mount for my Xplor 600, and I can easily mount speedlights with an S adapter. It's so light that with a speedlight, I can hold the setup with my left arm, while I shooting with my right one.

If I have an assistant, I prefer the Mola Demi.

Apr 10, 2017 at 04:13 PM
crashwins
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Run-n-Gun Setup advice?

hijazist wrote:
+1 to the SMDV. I have the 28" and it's very portable, provides a nice light and takes a grid (the gird is very pricey). I use it mainly during events or when I don't have an assistant. I have the Bowen mount for my Xplor 600, and I can easily mount speedlights with an S adapter. It's so light that with a speedlight, I can hold the setup with my left arm, while I shooting with my right one.

If I have an assistant, I prefer the Mola Demi.

Thanks for chiming in! No love for the Luxbanx from anyone?

I wonder: what is the real value proposition of a folding Octa when 36" or smaller? I had the 47" PCB one once and obviously I wanted that folded, but if not traveling, is it really better to have a folding one? Pretty easy to chuck in a backseat. I have the 18" Luxbanx and it's super well made.

Apr 10, 2017 at 05:05 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password