Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

traylorc wrote:
I watched this a few weeks ago...Polin was very complimentary of the Tamron despite the fact he elected to go with the Nikon. Also Polin mentions that the lens hood seemed to scratch pretty easily and that the matte finish seemed to attract a lot of dirt. Those are not necessarily deal breakers...but definitely something potential buyers should factor into their purchase decision.

The good thing is that the Tamron provides an additional option for those that do not want to pay the premium pricing of the Nikon.

I hear you. If I had $1400 to blow I would have got the Nikon for the better casing and material. But TBH I could really care less about a few extra scratches on the hood and more dirt on the lens. Every time I seen a comparison I could never tell which photos I liked better, and the AF on the Tamron is amazing. I'm very glad I went with it.

Aug 09, 2017 at 05:08 AM
Colin F
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

I have the previous version (009) of the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, and am tempted to sell it and upgrade to the G2, but one thing is giving me pause. This new lens has the same new AF/VC toggle switches as the 150-600 G2, and in use, they are easily "switched" by just a graze of your hands, or your waist/body if on a sling-strap. I had this happen a few times when I first started using the 150-600 G2, and now I'm constantly checking them to see that they haven't been flipped.

Many others have experienced this too, and some have resorted to using gaffers tape to keep 'em in place. I'm surprised Tamron would have not seen this flaw in an otherwise great lens.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:58 PM
CATProductions

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

The new Nikon is amazing!

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:07 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

I just returned from a 8 day field workshop with Brad Hill. He had brought the Tamron 70-200 G2 w/ converter and his Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 E. Watch his site in the coming weeks, as he'll be doing a head to head comparison. During our trip, he let me use the Tamron w/ 1.4x while photographing Stellar sea lions from zodiac. It was real cowboy shooting w/ some major chop to the water. I shot the Tamron w/ converter on my D500 at iso's that approached 3200. While there was a definite drop in contrast compared to my Nikon w/out converter, the lens managed to handle the crazy conditions. The VC system is very good (though not quite as good as the Nikon 70-200E). Af was hit and miss, but this could have been due to the shooting conditions. I'll post some samples later in the week.

cheers,
bruce

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:09 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

Colin F wrote:
I have the previous version (009) of the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, and am tempted to sell it and upgrade to the G2, but one thing is giving me pause. This new lens has the same new AF/VC toggle switches as the 150-600 G2, and in use, they are easily "switched" by just a graze of your hands, or your waist/body if on a sling-strap. I had this happen a few times when I first started using the 150-600 G2, and now I'm constantly checking them to see that they haven't been flipped.

Many others have experienced this too, and some
...Show more

I haven't bumped the buttons yet, at least not hard enough to move one.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:48 PM
TooManyShots
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

You should always tape over them if you are shooting anything critical. These buttons can get toggled sometimes just by removing your lens from your lens case or backpack. I shoot a lot of sports and I always tape over the VC switch and the AF switch.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:19 AM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

A few shots taken with it.

DSC_5686 by Renee Crabtree, on Flickr

DSC_5789 by Renee Crabtree, on Flickr

DSC_5770 by Renee Crabtree, on Flickr

DSC_5745 by Renee Crabtree, on Flickr

DSC_5743 by Renee Crabtree, on Flickr

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mbphoto_2.8
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

The Fro loved it, and he's all nikon usually.

I'll definitely get the Tamron and then a 300/4 PF. Together, they cost about as much as the Nikon 70-200/2.8E and nobody pays me to use this luxury lens.

Aug 23, 2017 at 04:40 PM
agelessphotog
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

mbphoto_2.8 wrote:
The Fro loved it, and he's all nikon usually.

I'll definitely get the Tamron and then a 300/4 PF. Together, they cost about as much as the Nikon 70-200/2.8E and nobody pays me to use this luxury lens.

I agree. The Tamron and the Nikon 70-200 are just too close to justify double the price.

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:53 PM
reggieb
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

Colin F wrote:

Many others have experienced this too, and some
...Show more

I rented it for a weekend, and I did run in to this. I knocked it to manual focus repeatedly. But the results were really amazing, definitely as good as the VRII that I sold to get my 300 PF. Really, really liked it, and will be picking one up within the next year.

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:54 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

This was made in really tough light and rough water. It was shot from a zodiac (I have about 700 to edit down to 15 or so) and required what I like to call "cowboy shooting." The VC on the lens and high frame rate of the D500 were essential for getting anything close to a sharp exposure. I believe that the shot was at iso 1400 & f/10. I used the G2 70-200f/2.8 paired with Tamron's matched 1.4x converter. The gear was loaner stuff from Tamron Canada (thanks!).

BTLeventhal 2017

NIKON D500    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    280mm    f/9.0    1/2000s    1400 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Sep 03, 2017 at 12:18 AM
EricJrSax

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

A little help please,...I'm still soooo confused,... don't know which direction to move. Here's the wording on Tamron's website: "Negative values adjusts in direction of a front focus, while positive values adjusts in direction of a back focus." Should I be reading this as "Negative values adjusts to correct for front focus, while positive values adjusts to correct for back focus."

I know this may seem elementary to some of you guys, but it's givin' me a headache trying to figure out which way to move to sliders. I see the graphic on the right on the Tap-In Console screen,... I guess what I'm asking is, am I moving the 'Default 0' backward toward the area that's focusing correctly (in my case, back focus), OR am I moving the area that is correctly focusing forward towards 'Default 0'? Just confused,... a little help please! Thanks!

Sep 25, 2017 at 09:48 PM
CanadaMark
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

EricJrSax wrote:
A little help please,...I'm still soooo confused,... don't know which direction to move. Here's the wording on Tamron's website: "Negative values adjusts in direction of a front focus, while positive values adjusts in direction of a back focus." Should I be reading this as "Negative values adjusts to correct for front focus, while positive values adjusts to correct for back focus."

I know this may seem elementary to some of you guys, but it's givin' me a headache trying to figure out which way to move to sliders. I see the graphic on the right on the Tap-In Console screen,... I
...Show more

Negative values move the focal plane closer to the camera and correct back focus. Positive values move the focal plane away from the camera and correct front focus.

If it's convenient to do so, I would just exchange the lens until I got one that doesn't require a tune.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:12 PM
milkod2001
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Tamron 70-200 G2,... any user impressions yet?

EricJrSax wrote:

I know this may seem elementary to some of you guys, but it's givin' me a headache trying to figure out which way to move to sliders. I see the graphic on the right on the Tap-In Console screen,... I
...Show more

What you should do is to put camera and lens on tripod and set it on self timer to eliminate any movement.Get yourself some micro adjustment tool something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DSLRKIT-Focus-Calibration-Alignment-Folding/dp/B012F8G1DO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506378413&sr=1-2&keywords=AutoFocus+Lens+Calibration+Tool

Set lens to 70mm, set in camera micro adjustment to 0 for your reference shot. Take another at minus 20. Another at plus 20. Check the results and then take more shots while you dial down settings until you get to best result.Write down the the best result.

Do the same with 100, 135 and 200mm settings. Write all results down. After that connect lens with dock and use
the settings you have written down. Let the dock to overwrite settings. Disconnect dock. Do real life test and repeat the process if needed.Good luck.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:37 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password