New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

stromm
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

Looking for best Tripod for Travel, Cold and wind Not extreme cold out in the Elements.

Mar 23, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Monika C
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

RRS. Maybe get the spikes if you're going to be on sand. It gets really windy in Iceland, so you want a good, stable one, not a cheap, light one.

Mar 24, 2017 at 03:04 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

I do not recommend RRS for water/ice/snow. The twist locks will ice up and freeze in extreme use. I recommend something with lever locks.

Mar 24, 2017 at 04:48 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

4 trips to Iceland w/my RRS tripod & never a problem: Feb, Mar, July, Sept, Oct.

Mar 24, 2017 at 06:02 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

Whatever you normally use. Some people go to Iceland with Gitzo ultra light tripods (eg Ocean Traveler). Some people go with Series 5. I use Gitzo only as an example because I am somewhat familiar with their characteristics. I have a series 1 and a series 3. I would not hesitate taking either anywhere in the world. The only consideration would be how far I need to haul it.

Mar 28, 2017 at 04:37 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

While I agree with Scott Kroeker that twist legs freeze up in the winter and lever locks do better - my experience with lever locks is that they do not last as long and are more prone to failure. And my experience with twist legs for more than 20 years is that although freeze up is a factor, I have been able to overcome and I shoot in cold weather. Just force them to twist or bring them into the car.

So my advice is the same advise I would give to someone going south - buy carbon, buy a heavy bullhead, buy 2 extensions over 3 extensions, buy heavier tripod, don't buy one with telescoping piece. I personally have a big 2 extension gitzo (i have read rrs is better though in vibration attenuation and will try it next), a really big manfrotto ball head (my next one will be RRS or area swiss). I took it to iceland and it was fine. And buy a lightweight carbon one for hiking. I also have a small gitzo for hiking with acratek (don't recommend it for day to day for various reasons but great for weight). And buy for the long term - e.g. spend lots - its likely the most important piece of equipment you own.

Have fun.

Apr 01, 2017 at 07:49 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

Scott Stoness wrote:
And buy for the long term - e.g. spend lots - its likely the most important piece of equipment you own.

Sadly this is sound advice. As a wise man once said - when you buy the good stuff you cry only once.

Having said that I recently bought a Benro TMA27C for $300. The main reason was that my rock-solid Gitzo Series 3 was too heavy (3.8 lbs for the legs only) and the Series 1 was too flimsy (2.8 lbs). Benro was the only company that offered something in the middle, right at 3.2 lbs. Yes, I know that 0.5 lbs seems like an insignificant difference when you are hauling 15 lbs of lenses and body and the head weighs another 2 lbs. But for whatever reason I can distinctly feel the difference, maybe because the tripod hangs out in the back with a lever.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised by the Benro build quality and stability. I ordered from Amazon so I could return it no questions asked if it was a piece of junk, but now I am thinking that my Gitzo Series 1 is going up for sale, to be replaced by the Benro.

Apr 04, 2017 at 06:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

Another shout out for Benro I have been using the 3780 for over 5 years now. I also have the RRS 3 series for when I need longer legs. Wouldn't hesitate to take either anywhere.

Apr 24, 2017 at 05:46 AM
tc202

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

If you go with RRS I use the TVC-34 tripod and it is rock solid/ can withstand anything. I have camped and snowshoed in temperatures around -40F without wind chill and the tripod has never failed. Any tripod with any sort of lock will be tight, however they are all able to open/ close legs with some force. Also, I use the tripod in Florida lagoons and have never had mine or a clients tripod twist locks freeze in salt water. Lastly, RRS tripods fair the best in salt water.

May 08, 2017 at 02:10 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

All the lever lock tripods I have seen have metal parts that corrode in salt water. I would not hesitate to take a RRS tripod. The other decision is whether to take a sturdy tripod be solid in the wind and elements, or whether to take the smallest/lightest tripod for travel. Always a conundrum for me.

May 21, 2017 at 02:50 AM
pizdets17
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

I'm taking my RRS tvc-24l with Kirk BH-1 there next month, with spikes and rock claws.

May 31, 2017 at 08:21 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

Just came back from Iceland with my Gitzo 1228 and an Acratech head. Good, but a little light in the wind. RRS will be my next tripod setup

Jun 22, 2017 at 02:22 AM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Tripod for Iceland ? GO!!!!!

I used the MeFoto roadtrip classic. Worked great, including climbing into rivers, etc.. Great size and portability. That being said I was using a a7rii and Canon 16-40L, so nothing too heavy up top. It was stable enough, but there were times that wind was an issue, especially near Dyrhˇlaey outside of Vik.

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password