New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

I know this lens is awesome. I want to know who didn't like it. Or once owned it but decided to sell it. I want to replace my Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS. Something more recent and with better corner sharpness. The Sigma 17-50 f2.8 does the job well but....it seems like a boring lens to use.

I shoot mainly cycling races. I tend to use my standard zoom for up close, blurry stop/motion, panning shots. Very often stopped down to f5.6 to f8, depending on the lighting condition.

Mar 23, 2017 at 03:54 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

I have the lens and I like it and use for astro and indoor shooting. 35 mm seems kind of wide for a cycle race.

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:24 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

morrismike wrote:
I have the lens and I like it and use for astro and indoor shooting. 35 mm seems kind of wide for a cycle race.

Is wide enough for those close range, stop/motion panning shots. It has its use but I generally use my 80-200 AF D 2.8 ED 2 ring version for about 80% of the time. I want the 18-35 to be more standard zoom walk around lens. How about the AF performance? I have been reading up on that issues and is a serious issue. Wide open back focusing when the shooting distance is beyond 1 meter.

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:29 PM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

TooManyShots wrote:
Is wide enough for those close range, stop/motion panning shots. It has its use but I generally use my 80-200 AF D 2.8 ED 2 ring version for about 80% of the time. I want the 18-35 to be more standard zoom walk around lens. How about the AF performance? I have been reading up on that issues and is a serious issue. Wide open back focusing when the shooting distance is beyond 1 meter.

I shoot things standing still with it and have a bad habit of manual focusing when possible. I have a Tamron 15-30 for cases where light isn't an issue or I need perfect focusing and/or VR I've got a GAS problem and will be seeking medical help soon and probably shouldn't have bought the sigma and just stopped trying to shoot indoors without flash or lighting.

Have you ever thought about borrowing someones Nikon 20-35 or 18-35 to see if you'd like that? I have never had a AF issue with the 20-35 or Tamron 15-30.

Mar 23, 2017 at 05:46 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

You have described the Sigma 17-50 2.8 pretty well. There's not a damn thing wrong with it but, it's not very exciting. I really liked that lens and I used it a lot on DX. It is sharp and well built, I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I also have acquired the Sigma 18-35, it is a better lens than the 17-50, or any other zoom I have used on DX. It's still new to me but, already I like it a lot. Mostly because DX has a scarcity of primes and this lens just fills the gap.

I have had no problems on my d7100 with regard to autofocus. With my D600 in crop mode I have had pretty serious focus problems. As in serious, "why won't this lens focus correctly at all" problems. I'm still not sure what's going on there but I have a feeling that Sigma didn't test the lens very well on FX cameras. But I'm happy with the lens on my DX camera.

As far as I'm concerned there isn't any reason not to at least try this lens and see if it works for you. To me it's clearly better than the 17-50, which I hold in high regard, and it's not really even close. I am going to use it all Summer and come to a more firm conclusion but my early opinion is that this lens rocks.

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:00 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

InlawBiker wrote:
You have described the Sigma 17-50 2.8 pretty well. There's not a damn thing wrong with it but, it's not very exciting. I really liked that lens and I used it a lot on DX. It is sharp and well built, I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I also have acquired the Sigma 18-35, it is a better lens than the 17-50, or any other zoom I have used on DX. It's still new to me but, already I like it a lot. Mostly because DX has a scarcity of primes and this lens just fills the gap.

I have had
...Show more

Hmmmm...did more googling about the AF issues with the Sigma 18-35. Is a real problem. I am planning to get the imported version with $200 less. Sending in to Sigma for recalibration could be a problem here. Damn...I am not planning to spend days playing with the dock to get the lens to work correctly.

I think I would hold off the Sigma 18-35 for now....I don't need it but it would be nice to have one....

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

Hmmmm...did more googling about the AF issues with the Sigma 18-35. Is a real problem

Those having 'trouble' are more likely to post/complain. Many MORE love the lens
and have no "issues". I had one of the first ones and loved it on the D7K/D7100,
it never saw the dock and was spot on in low light pubcrawls/grandkid shooting.
Most of that use for me is covered by FX now, so I sold it. New owner's thrilled.

Mar 24, 2017 at 02:23 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

trenchmonkey wrote:
Those having 'trouble' are more likely to post/complain. Many MORE love the lens
and have no "issues". I had one of the first ones and loved it on the D7K/D7100,
it never saw the dock and was spot on in low light pubcrawls/grandkid shooting.
Most of that use for me is covered by FX now, so I sold it. New owner's thrilled.

Hmmm.....do I feel lucky?

Mar 24, 2017 at 02:51 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

Many have never shot a fast zoom (1 & 1/3's stops faster than f2.8 glass)
may account for a good percentage of complaints you found...especially if they're
coming from a slow variable aperture kit lens. Just throwin' that out there. GL

Mar 24, 2017 at 03:20 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

I will try the 135 1.8 ASAP.

Mar 24, 2017 at 08:59 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

Well, I did it..after months of not lusting it but ending up bought one yesterday from Amazon Beachcamera...Nikon Refurbished for $629+$5 one day shipping. Just got it one hour ago.

For one thing, it came in the official Sigma box and even with the USA Sigma warranty card. However, it is supposed to be refurbished... I have to sort out if Beachcamera sent me a new one or an refurbished one. I just don't see any sign of usage at all... So far, the AF is accurate with +12 setting. A bit front focusing. So far shooting at subjects at 3ft to 6ft appears to be accurate wide open.

More testing tomorrow....

FYI, Amazon Beachcamera raised the price to $689 now..

Well...so far...the AF is largely accurate at all focal lengths wide open with the shooting distance short of infinity. Just shooting small items inside the house with incandescent lighting ISO 1600. Looks like a keeper to me......

Aug 23, 2017 at 08:26 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

Good to hear, Victor!

Aug 24, 2017 at 07:18 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

trenchmonkey wrote:
Good to hear, Victor!

I think I have a winner here. AF accuracy and performance are largely, 98% accurate and expected. The only time I had issues shooting at wide open, judging by my shot results, is when the foreground subject is too small or smaller than the size of the AF point. Then, the lens or the camera has the tendency to focus the background instead. Oh..the micro contrast here is ridiculous...Carl Zeiss what?? .. at wide open, it tends to introduce some minor vignette and which adding to the over all style and the quality of the shots.

All shot are F1.8
sigma18-35-test-shots_0063 by vracing, on Flickr

sigma18-35-test-shots_0035 by vracing, on Flickr

sigma18-35-test-shots_0069 by vracing, on Flickr

sigma18-35-test-shots_0075 by vracing, on Flickr

Aug 24, 2017 at 04:42 PM
SiMuMe
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

It is indeed a great lens. 4 very fast and sharp primes, 1 affordable lens. Something Nikon couldn't be bothered to provide DX users.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:10 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

If you can get one to behave well enough. Looks like I don't need the dock at all. I see so many used copies going around. I wasn't brave enough to get one and knowing that it is a dud. The lens is front focusing a bit but I need +15 to correct it. Maybe I would get the dock later and just to play with it...heheheh. And I don't want to spend the full retail price on a new one either. I think my copy is a Beachcamera refurbished, not Sigma refurbished. Well, I emailed both Sigma and Beachcamera about the warranty claim procedures. Will find out who would actually providing the warranty for my lens.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:57 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

Here is an update to the warranty status of the lens. I contacted Sigma last night and they checked my serial number. The lens was not refurbished by Sigma. I thought so since the box it comes in is a Sigma box, not a generic white one. So, it must have been refurbished by Beachcamera. I also emailed Beachcamera about how to file my warranty claim if I have to. It would be interesting if they tell me I could contact Sigma directly... ...

Aug 25, 2017 at 09:39 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

Beach doesn't refurb. lenses/cameras. It could have been an open box or demo lens.
I got a refurb from Sigma Outlet and it came in original box etc., the only difference
was a 90 day warranty stapled the receipt. Never having used a warranty in 50+ yrs
of shooting it was no biggie. Saved $500 on the 150-600 Sport. Shoot and enjoy, eh?!

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

Yeah..is only 90 days so....I would probably not need it or beyond the time period anyway....

I do find few things annoying. The receipt didn't include the serial number of the lens. How would they know which lens they sold to me. I hope they have ways to keep track of it. There are some other numbers and letters on it but they don't appear to be the lens serial number at all.

Anyway.....

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

...should be on the box?? (and match the lens) mine was.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:26 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 18-35 f1.8...

It does...but the receipt does not say. So, technically, I could send another lens (not the one I purchased from them) with a matching serial number to the box. As I was digging around the issue, it appears Amazon would handle my warranty claim through their online return procedures.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.