New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Back to Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta

pjbishop
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Back to Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta

I'm curious. In February B & H had on offer the 30-sheet boxes of the 13' X 19" H by H Gloss Baryta for $39.95 each. I got two boxes. The price is now back up to a zillion dollars a box.

I haven't had occasion yet to print on reflective paper that size and wondered if anyone has bought the paper recently and noticed any change in texture or gloss, etc. - still curling? My supply of letter size still requires straightening sessions before it can be loaded in the printer.

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:51 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Back to Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta

I bought a box of this paper and printed some 13 x 19 images with no issues on an epson P800. I can't comment on whether the paper has changed, as this was the first time I've used it. I like it enough that next time it goes on sale, I will get more.

Mar 22, 2017 at 05:11 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Back to Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta

I ran the same print on the H by H gloss baryta, the Canson Photographique, the Epson Legacy Platine and Legacy Baryta. To my eye, admittedly subjective, the Harmon had the edge, though slight in comparison to the Platine. In a print comparison I ran quite some ago on the Harman along with the Epson Exhibition Fiber and the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, I found the Harman obviously superior. These newer paper come very close, especially, as I mentioned, and if I remember correctly, the Legacy Platine. The Legacy Baryta is also good. I had the prints all lined up for while and would switch them around to see I would have trouble telling them apart, and in the event I did have trouble - distinguishing the different papers took some effort, not always successful ( with the exception of the Harman, which is very familiar to me ).

Ever since Hahemuhle took over production, the problem has been the curling - the letter size worst of all. I'm glad to hear that you printed on the 13 X 19 without problems. ( I have P800 too, and like it a lot.) Sometimes it's convenient to use the letter size, but wrestling the curl out is real bother. My hope is that someday soon Hahnemuhle will cater to its customers and improve their cutting process.

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.