Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Mlehere
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

I am currently using a Canon 70D and have been reasonably happy with it. However, I am thinking of moving to a full framed camera. Possibly a 6D or 5D Mark3.I am by no means a professional. I am a amateur and most of my shoots involve nature and landscape shots and some family protraits. I also am interested in shooting some astrophotography including Sun and solar system objects. I am also 71 years old. I am looking for some advice as it relates to the 6D vs. the 5D mark3.
Mike

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

I think the 6D was made especially for you. Overall, the 6D AF system is not as advanced as the 5DIII, but the 6D centre AF point is one of the best in the business, especially in low light. The big advantage of the 5DIII is that it has many off-centre cross-type AF points. The 6D is smaller, lighter, and provides excellent IQ. I've been using a pair of 6D for about four years, for just about anything, except for serious action, when I use 1D-series cameras.

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:16 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

IQ wise the 6D will get you the best bang for your $ for astro (high ISO/long exposure) and landscape work when it comes to Canon FF.

For general shooting of family events, unless your current style is center AF point + recompose, it will feel a bit lacking vs. the 70D.

Things start to look better again if you are shooting portraits with fast lenses as the FF will allow for more pronounced DOF falloff using the same glass vs. the 70D.

Cons of 6D vs. the 5D3: as jcolwell writes, the 6D lacks in AF system versatility, FPS, buffer & handling, although the latter won't be a concern for someone coming from a 70D: the 6D will actually feel more familiar. Has no dual cards that is an issue for some professionals.

Pros of 6D vs. the 5D3: newer sensor that holds better in post processing (less noise, less banding), more malleable files, smaller/lighter, has GPS & WiFi.

Mar 22, 2017 at 01:25 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

My view is that you buy based on function and price not on sensor - there is not much difference between the sensors on 5d3 vs 6d.

The biggest differences in function are:
1) Buffer/autofocus on moving objects/dual memory slots is significantly better on 5d3 and can do 1/8000 shutter speeed
2) 6d is less expensive and is limited to 1/4000

The rest of the differences are marginal

So if you were just landscape, I would say buy the 6d.

But if you are action (family, nature), buy the 5d3. If not save the money and buy 6d.

Mar 22, 2017 at 02:18 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Mike,
How many EF-S lenses would you have to replace? That may figure in to your plans to move to FF.

Mar 22, 2017 at 02:50 PM
Mlehere
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

It looks as though the general consensus is to move to the 6D. Fortunately, all the lines I use with the 70D are useable with a full frame camer. No EF-S lenses. One item does somewhat concern me. The 6D has been out for more than 3 years. Is there anything to be gained by waiting to see if there is an upgrade to that camera coming in the near future?
Have there been any rumors of an upgrade coming?

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Mlehere wrote:
It looks as though the general consensus is to move to the 6D. Fortunately, all the lines I use with the 70D are useable with a full frame camer. No EF-S lenses. One item does somewhat concern me. The 6D has been out for more than 3 years. Is there anything to be gained by waiting to see if there is an upgrade to that camera coming in the near future?
Have there been any rumors of an upgrade coming?

The 6Dii is due/rumored to be announced very soon. The rumored specs are very similar to the 5diii but with the a new sensor and other additional features.

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:50 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

The 6D2 is supposed to be released sometime later this year. Maybe 3rd quarter announced with it shipping sometime after that. Maybe September? That's just a guess on my part. If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait. If it's not something that excites you, you could just get a second hand one cheaper then since a lot of people will "upgrade".

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:54 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Mlehere wrote:
I am currently using a Canon 70D and have been reasonably happy with it.

If you are "reasonably happy" with your 70D why do you want to move to full frame?

The reason I ask is that I bought a 5dii last November specifically for better high ISO IQ. I can definitely tell the difference at 1600 and above but I am regretting buying a FF. I think I would have been much happier spending that money on glass upgrades and or a 70D, 80D, or M5. FF just doesn't make me do backflips like it does some. I was holding out for the 6Dii but am seriously looking at a small camera setup instead.

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:28 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Mar73 wrote:
If you are "reasonably happy" with your 70D why do you want to move to full frame?

The reason I ask is that I bought a 5dii last November specifically for better high ISO IQ. I can definitely tell the difference at 1600 and above but I am regretting buying a FF. I think I would have been much happier spending that money on glass upgrades and or a 70D, 80D, or M5. FF just doesn't make me do backflips like it does some. I was holding out for the 6Dii but am seriously looking at a small camera setup instead.

I was "reasonably happy" with my Rebel T4i ..... but that doesn't mean I have a single regret about buying a 7D2. And just because I am very happy with the 7D2 doesn't mean I wont be thrilled when I can add a 1Dx to my arsenal

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:57 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

For landscapes FF is generally better.

Equivalence ( larger pixels) gets you sharper images for the same resolution and quality of lenses
lower noise
usually better colours
And tbh far better access to good wide lenses

For astro wide field landscapes you gain 1-2 stops of noise control

For deep sky stuff you probably loose out a little on 'pixels per duck' - noise isnt an issue here as much because you tend to take many 'subs' etc and need the high pixel density

Mar 23, 2017 at 01:48 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Mar73 wrote:

Yes. The default view amongst many here is always to suggest a move to FF but it often isn't the best solution. It depends on budget and final usage. As Rob says FF has marginally better IQ for landscapes and big enlargements but requires the use of FF lenses which are often bigger and more costly

The 70D is a pretty good modern dslr, a move to a 6D won't achieve much unless very high ISO is the norm, where the 6D excels and would be a step backwards in body features.

I sold my 70D for an 80D (for travel only I shoot FF most of the time) and it's a better camera with a better sensor. There are so many good crop cameras now FF isn't always the best option IMHO

Mar 23, 2017 at 03:09 AM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

I recently moved from a 40D to a 5D3, I had a similar quandary as the 6D is indeed cheaper yet offers similar image quality.

A few months down the line and I'm loving my purchase, though I think I would have been equally happy with a 6D as I'm not using the 5D3's AF to it's full potential - I'm still stuck in my 40D's focus and recompose ways... I'm currently waiting for the 6D2, I'll then either pick up a cheaper 6D1 as a second body, or trade the 5D3 for the 6D2 if the specs match up.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either camera. If you already have good glass, and can afford the 5D3, then great. If not, go for the 6D and spend your change on some good glass - remember all your lenses will be 1.6x shorter so you may need a new long lens

That being said, in terms of $ per image, FF is over rated. At the time I was choosing (only a few months ago) £1000 got me a grey box 6D, well used 5D3, 5D2 or a brand new 80D with full warranty. Arguably the 80D may have been a better choice for me in terms of IQ alone.

Mar 23, 2017 at 03:42 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

There is no reason why FF would ever be worse unless you are focal length limited

But the degree of better can be slim.

A 36" print yeah perhaps.

Facebook, not a chance

Mar 23, 2017 at 03:57 AM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Your Tokina 12-24 is APS-C and won't work on a FF body. Trade it for a Canon 16-35 F4.

Mar 23, 2017 at 08:59 AM
Mlehere
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations. It still sounds like the 6D is the right move but it's getting more confusing by the minute. Jon, thanks for the point on my Toking 12-24.

Mar 23, 2017 at 09:58 AM
freetime101
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

Jon Joshua wrote:
Trade it for a Canon 16-35 F4.

Fantastic lens, I traded the Canon 10-22 for it - it's leagues ahead!

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

I'd consider a 6D to be very close to a FF version of a 70D. You will need new lenses with a 1.6 times longer focal length to get the same compositions, so consider at least one new lens. If you were taking portraits with a 50mm lens, you will want a 85mm lens.

So, its not just a question of having EF lenses, you need the right ones.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:21 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

For astro I can see why one would want to move to FF for high ISO, but another alternative would be a cropper and a tracker, so you can do long exposures at low ISO, other wise you'll need some fast glass and high ISO and be limited to around 30s max to avoid star trails.

I'm not if I'm remembering correctly but I had heard the 7DII is actually an excellent camera for night photography but I can't recall the reasoning.

The reason tom move to FF, better range of lenses, better DOF control especially for portrait. It really depends on how much you want to invest in glass. 6D's sensor is a little better than the 5D3's maybe 1/2 stop at high ISO and shows less banding in shadows. I'd actually consider the 5Ds(R) over the 5D3 now if I was really into landscape and nature as it's sensor is improved too compared to the 5D3 and not just in resolution. If you plan to do any sort of action type work with wildife the 5 series will excel over the 6D, but if not the 6D will be fine for all other applications.

Mar 24, 2017 at 01:25 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Switching from a cropped to full-famed camera.

scalesusa wrote:
I'd consider a 6D to be very close to a FF version of a 70D.

I think the 70D body is at least one generation on from the 6D, possibly two in terms of features and speed. Better AF, tiltable LCD, video etc. The 80D even more so.

The 6D is a fantastic sensor (especially at high ISO) trapped in a relatively simple body IMHO

Mar 24, 2017 at 03:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.