New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · new D800 owner, question about Sigma 35 Art

hnaa
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · new D800 owner, question about Sigma 35 Art

Hey all,
just last week I acquired a gorgeous used D800, with a 50/1.8G (bought in a store in Copenhagen that gives a one year guarantee on used equipment). I am blown away by the image quality! But it is also clearly evident that I need to work on my technique and use faster shutterspeeds than I am used to. But no problem, I like a challenge :-)

I have been looking at getting a 35mm as well, looking at several options, Nikon 35/1.8G, Tamron 35 /1.8, and the Sigma 35/1.4 Art. The same store has an almost new Sigma 35 Art at a very good price (with theone year guarantee). So, finally, we arrive at my question:

I've read several people in various forums and reviews stating that the 35 Art has somewhat uncertain autofocus. Can this be remedied with the Sigma Dock? Or will you just have to live with sometimes missing focus? (Or get one of the other lenses).

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:39 AM
Uzay
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · new D800 owner, question about Sigma 35 Art

buy it, sigma dock will help, wonderful lens

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:37 AM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · new D800 owner, question about Sigma 35 Art

I have tried all of these 35mm lenses and kept the Tamron 35 VC.

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:15 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · new D800 owner, question about Sigma 35 Art

I think more people have problems with front focus or back focus rather than inconstant focus. Front and back focus can be corrected with the dock or with your camera's AFFT (auto focus fine tune) feature. There are many threads and google results explaining how to check this.

A simple test in-store is to shoot with single point AF at a row of items at a diagonal angle, focusing on the center item. Is the center item in sharpest focus when reviewing in the preview screen? Try it on multiple subjects. It took me three lenses samples in store to get one good enough to simply use minor adjustments in AFFT to correct. But once adjusted, this lens is one of the best.

I think once the front focus/back focus issues are corrected, most users no longer experience uncertain auto focus.

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:20 AM
GOVA
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · new D800 owner, question about Sigma 35 Art

I've had Sigma 35mm f/1.4 since it was introduced. Have used it with D800/D810. This is truly amazing lens for the price. No AF issues at all, haven't used the dock. Still on probably 1st firmware.

I'd not hesitate to get it new, but if you can get it cheaper do so. You'll have lots of fun with it and D800.

Mar 22, 2017 at 09:21 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · new D800 owner, question about Sigma 35 Art

Never had a problem with my Sigma 35mm on my D800E. It's my most used lens.

Kent in SD

Mar 22, 2017 at 05:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.