New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Need advice for strobe or adapter

agelessphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need advice for strobe or adapter

Right now we shoot about 90% of our photo shoots outside. We do have a studio but only shoot about 10% of our shots in there. We use SB600's, 3 of them in the studio. When we go outside on location we use 1 SB600 and put it on a monopod with an umbrella. Problem is sometimes we can't always schedule these shoots in good lighting and we sometimes have to do it mid day, sun blazing. Obviously the SB600 struggles, big time. Would we be better off getting a portable strobe that's more powerful and has more light? If so, we would want to use HSS I guess because we want to be able to shoot at F1.4 to F2.8. Anyone have any ideas to accomplish this the cheapest route possible? would the flashpoint strobes be the best bargain solution? What kind of triggers would we need to get since we want to use fast shutter speeds with F1.4? Big thanks in advance!

I also seen they make flash grips that hold multiple flashes, would 3 SB600's help out a lot with this? I should be able to use autofp with TTL and 3 flashes, right?

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need advice for strobe or adapter

use all three as a single source should be enough I do it with my canon speed lights pw flexes and a lastolite tri? speed lite mount with Joe mcnallys endorsement on it I forgot the exact name but it holds three speedlites on one monopod or you can use a regular umbrella mount and a couple of Justin clamps no as focused as the trimount.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:38 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need advice for strobe or adapter

agelessphotog wrote:
Problem is sometimes we can't always schedule these shoots in good lighting and we sometimes have to do it mid day, sun blazing. Obviously the SB600 struggles, big time. Would we be better off getting a portable strobe that's more powerful and has more light? If so, we would want to use HSS I guess because we want to be able to shoot at F1.4 to F2.8.

Think of the blazing sun as a Good Thing. Sunlight is the gold standard of continuous lighting: really powerful, perfect spectrum, hard, infinity distance. As a light source, it is ultimately malleable, and also unreproductible in the studio (although I strive to fake it). Rather than fight the sun with artificial light, you want to learn how to shape that star in the sky. In rough order of importance, the tools of the sunlight trade are scrims, diffusers, reflectors, and flags. Unfortunately, it's quite a different mix of modifiers and skill set than employed by the typical studio maven. You need to be cognizant of such factors as sun position and wind when setting up your shoot. Also valuable are location resources like walls to shape the light.

Mar 22, 2017 at 07:47 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.