New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A7S vs A99 vs A7ii

Sebrous

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7S vs A99 vs A7ii

I'm debating with myself if I should buy the A7s. I really need your help to make that hard choice.

Here's the camera I own and there utility.

A77ii : Bird and wildlife. With the 70-400. That's the camera I carry when I go take my weekly walk in the woods. Carried on a sling
A7ii : Landscape + lightweight travel. With the 16-35. That's my second camera for my forest adventure. Attached with a peak design clip on my backpack.

A99 : Indoor and portrait. With a 70-200. Used during corporate event, wedding or low light. Usable at ISO 1600 and lower
A6000 : Bird and wildlife during lightweight travel. I personally rarely use this camera but my wife love it's compactness.

Here's my need: during corporate event or cocktail with low light I'm missing some shoots since I don't want to shoot with my a99 at more than 1600 ISO. I also like to shot long exposure night sky.

I already own to much camera but I have a really hard time restraining myself from buying the A7s.

So which camera do I get rid off ?

P.S. I'm French, so sorry for my spelling mistakes.

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:36 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7S vs A99 vs A7ii

Personally, I would sell them all and go for either the a7rII or the a99II.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:22 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7S vs A99 vs A7ii

Unless the light is really low at the event, I am not sure it would be low enough for the A7s to shine. Most of the FF Sony's are fine at ISO 6400. If it is above that, THEN the A7s would be a great choice.

Also, I am not sure if the A7s is the best camera for long exposure night sky.

The A7s is my all time favourite camera but I like to shoot a lot at night/high ISO/low light and it might not be the best choice for you.

TheEmrys suggestion is pretty good (I would like the A7rii for your situation I think).

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:13 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7S vs A99 vs A7ii

I second (third) the aforementioned suggestion: Get an a7rii or a99ii, depending on which mount/lens system you prefer.

That preferences hinges on how often you use your a-mount setups for wildlife and what kind of wildlife. If you need/want fast fps, get the a99ii. It's basically a high resolution, high ISO capable FF version of your a77ii.

If you can live with 5fps, I have found that the 70-400G2 (not sure about the G1) works very well via the LA-EA3 adapter on my a7rii. If you were to go the e-mount route, you could sell the a-mount 70-200 and try to find a used 70-200 4 or a new 85 1.8. With eye-AF your keeper rate will increase quite significantly.

Mar 22, 2017 at 03:29 AM
wtzgall

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7S vs A99 vs A7ii

Sell the a99 and a77ii. Buy the a99ii. In crop mode you get 18mp, close enough to the a77ii.

Chris

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.