New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Plinian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Jerry's contributions to the community show a wonderful generosity of spirit--inspiring and admirable, as was his approach to life.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

I havenīt been here for some time now. And when I returned, the first thing I realised was, that I am missing your kind and sensitive comments and your lovely humor. So I started looking for you and had to find out you passed.

Our beer at a fireplace in the canadian wilderness with Jockey and Peter has to wait for our next lifes now, man. For the rest of this one I will remember you and your influence on my mind to become the person I always wanted to be.

Thxs a lot, Jerry

Jul 01, 2017 at 07:43 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Yes, Ralph, the sadness of losing Jerry (and Photon) doesn't go away.

Jul 01, 2017 at 08:21 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Its good to remember Jerry who is like the glue that binds us as a community.

Jul 01, 2017 at 09:55 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

PetKal wrote:
Yes, Ralph, the sadness of losing Jerry (and Photon) doesn't go away.

As I've said on occasion, to survivors of our too many wars what I had to learn in order to deal with my guilt from 50 years ago because I couldn't save part of my crew: "We who survive must live well because their lives go on in us."

I hope in some small way that I live with light and joy so as to carry on Jerry and what - for me - is a small host of those gone.

Via con Dios, Jerry.

Jul 01, 2017 at 10:19 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Thank you Robert, I believe that kind of sentiment you've just expressed is what makes us human inside, and not only human appearance-wise.

Jul 01, 2017 at 10:31 AM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

One of the good guys on FM

American Kestrel by A & R Photography, on Flickr

Jul 01, 2017 at 02:09 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

he was an inspiration. truly a spiritual being. rest in peace Mr. Stillfingerz.....

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2831/33626089792_fc57e648bd_o.jpg

Jul 01, 2017 at 03:53 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Jerry, I hope you're soaring the skies with the ones you love, like this guy is doing.

Jul 01, 2017 at 10:42 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Jerry and Linda had a tiny swimming pool in a little patio of their Californian home. One day several years ago Jerry sat close to the pool holding a camera in his lap, and out of nowhere a pair of Mallard ducks crash landed in his pool and shortly thereafter they took off. Lo and behold Jerry managed to snag a couple of shots of the ducks as they exploded into flight, and he was very proud of those shots, and rightfully so.
Jerry shared those pictures once or twice on this forum, but I do not think many people realised how very difficult it was for him to obtain such shots.

Jul 01, 2017 at 11:10 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

he is missed by some of us nikon shooters also, i never talked to him but i always found his posts congenial
Jerry was the calm in the middle of a storm with a good, down to earth heart

Jul 02, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Diving for lunch. These were fast

Edited on Jul 02, 2017 at 12:18 PM · View previous versions

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Found a bird preserve about 40 minutes outside the city. Previous post was from there as well.

Jul 02, 2017 at 12:17 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

rdeloe wrote:
I can't shoot birds in flight to save my life, and I'm not even a Canon user, but I have to say this is just the best thing I've seen in a while. I hope lots of people have pictures to share.

It is really not that tough. You have to trust the process. A lot of discussion on Case numbers and their parameter settings which sometimes I think throws people off. Just watch what Mr. Winston says in the first minute which can applied to any body.

There is no reason why anyone can't hit a larger, non erratic bird. I'm not talking about shooting swifts. I practised on geese and pelicans. Large slow moving birds which is confidence builder. After getting my 7D2 (I never took my 5D3 out of Case 1) I decided to explore the case numbers. One day I shot in all the cases with personal parameter settings. I even tested it on single point, expansion and full zone AF. When shooting pelicans it was like shooting fish in a barrel in all configurations.

So that aside technique and appropriate shutter speeds will take you much further than messing around with all the settings. Pick a really high shutter speed. This one of my first shots with my 7D classic in 2009. I was still not comfortable with BIF and this was around 1/5000 but I got the shot. Just in case make sure you are on high speed continuous and shoot bursts.

I recommend using BBF but I only started using it when I got my 7D2. I never had an issue keeping the shutter half pressed between bursts. I have to admit that the BBF makes it easier but it did take me a while to switch to it.

Choose your target adjust make sure you keep the AF point/s on it. Look for the bird to come into focus through the view finder and just start shooting. Trust AI Servo's process. If you loose focus because the points went off the bird just require and pump the BBF or shutter. Pumping just means take pressure off the button and press it again to re-acquire.

As for technique if they are flying side to side square you body to strait and turn the upper part towards the incoming bird. By the time it is in front you are square with it and more stable.

If you take 100 shots and get 5 - you still got 5. It is a start. While many don't recommend it I like to use IS at any shutter speed. It never came off for almost 5 years my 7D and 300L F4 IS. Sure it may miss a couple shots but I rarely came home without a decent BIF.

Jul 02, 2017 at 01:34 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Sad to hear of Jerry's passing. He was one of the good guys.

Jul 02, 2017 at 03:43 PM
bcguy
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

He will be missed. He was one of the more even-tempered members of the forum. His contributions were appreciated. RIP.

Jul 03, 2017 at 04:38 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

I remember once I was in a real low moment where I used a post to scream out my, once deep, depression.

Jerry, without really knowing me, came in and gave me his time, his words and his wisdom.

I thanked you then and I still thank you now.

RIP

Jul 03, 2017 at 05:13 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Threads like this devoted to a person are best placed in "Forum and Miscellaneous." This has very little to do with Canon gear.

no reflection on the op or the post. its' funny how biased a moderator can be on FM. move post from one person. yet leave post of another when both post are "devoted to a person" with good intent.

Mr. Moderator you should be ashamed of yourself for such a blatant display of discrimination. end of line.....

Jul 03, 2017 at 06:22 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · In rememberance of Jerry aka "Stillfingerz"

Tom Dix wrote:
Sad to hear of Jerry's passing. He was one of the good guys.

Have not been very active on here lately and was saddened to hear this as well. His posts were always well thought out and balanced, and his passion for photography was always obvious. RIP Jerry.

Jul 08, 2017 at 02:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.