Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Hello, FMers.
Recently I've visited Dubai and spent 12 days there so I had plenty of time (and blue hours) to capture great skylines of the city. So I'd like to share them with you. And I would be happy to give you any information about shooting points and conditions if you get interested in.
The first part of my Dubai series is devoted to the only of its own - the largest and greatest - Burj Khalifa tower.
Part II is here. The complete Dubai gallery is here

N.B. The Burj Khalifa, or "Khalifa Tower", known as the Burj Dubai before its inauguration, is a megatall skyscraper in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It is the tallest structure in the world, standing at 829.8 m (2,722 ft). Construction of the Burj Khalifa began in 2004, with the exterior completed 5 years later in 2009. The primary structure is reinforced concrete. The building was opened in 2010 as part of a new development called Downtown Dubai.

#1 - Where the day meets the night

Border-less sky of Dubai where the day meets the night / taken from Shangri-La Hotel open-air terrace on lvl 44, the most famous spot among photographers by Alex DROP, on Flickr

#2 - Dubai skyline over Dubai Creek

Dubai skyline over Dubai Creek by Alex DROP, on Flickr

#3 - Skyscrapers and bridges of Dubai

From left to right: Al Abraj St. Bridge over Dubai Creek, Burj Khalifa and its Lake, Dubai Marina district and Jumeirah Beach Rd. Bridge. by Alex DROP, on Flickr

#4 - Night Colors of Burj Khalifa

by Alex DROP, on Flickr

#5 - Golden haze of Dubai

1 hour before sunset in the hazy evening / ND x1000 filter by Alex DROP, on Flickr

#6 - Burj Khalifa WA cityscape

Circ-PL + NDx1000 filters / 3 exposures manual blending by Alex DROP, on Flickr

Edited by Guest on Apr 04, 2017 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:48 AM
- MS -
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Wow, these are probably the best shots I've seen from Dubai.
One day I will get there and not just visit the airport, when transferring planes.

I appreciate how you've told people about the locations and not kept it a secret.
I've always wondered where the location was for shot 1.
Do you need to stay there or pay a fee, to access the terrace?

A few questions about the Burj Al Arab hotel.
Can you just walk in a take photos of the lobby, maybe via advanced permission?
Is there any public transport to get to it?

I'm going to check out the rest of your Dubai gallery now

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:29 AM

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

- MS - wrote:

Thank you, Mark. Now I'm your follower on flickr/
The real secret is not location or camera model info but my inspiration that belongs only to me

To reach Shangri-La open-air terrace I sent a message to the hotel address I got from open sources (hotel web site) and was lucky to get a reply from a communications executive staff. And upon my arrival to the hotel lobby I was kindly met by a pretty lady who led me to the terrace (completely free of charge). And I wasn't alone there - 2 more photogs were taking pictures aplready.

I have no clues how to access Burj Khalifa lobby cuz it wasn't my goal. But I can advise you to book a table in a BKh restaurant. The BKh precinct is bordered so there's no direct public access. Hope it helps.

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:55 AM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

These are some pretty spectacular images to say the least. I love all of them equally, although #1 really does stand out IMO. Dubai definitely is on my bucket list of places to visit, and these images really helped cement the fact that I want to visit there.

Thanks for sharing!

-Nick

Mar 22, 2017 at 08:21 AM
- MS -
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

AlexDROP wrote:
Thank you, Mark. Now I'm your follower on flickr/
The real secret is not location or camera model info but my inspiration that belongs only to me

To reach Shangri-La open-air terrace I sent a message to the hotel address I got from open sources (hotel web site) and was lucky to get a reply from a communications executive staff. And upon my arrival to the hotel lobby I was kindly met by a pretty lady who led me to the terrace (completely free of charge). And I wasn't alone there - 2 more photogs were taking pictures aplready.

I have no
...Show more

Thank you very much for the information and help
I've followed you back. It's a long time since I've posted any photos there.

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:39 PM
JMcDonald84
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Very nice shots, what camera are you using?

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:10 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

alex - wonderful sets. it's postcard #3 for me. i only wished you had used image #4 in the middle instead.

tfs - tom

Mar 23, 2017 at 01:11 PM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

JMcDonald84 wrote:
Very nice shots, what camera are you using?

Thank you. It is an ordinary Canon 6D with 24-105/4 L and 16-35/4 L lenses and a couple of threaded 77mm filters: ND x1000 and Circ-PL. A very small photo set for travel photography.

tntcorp wrote:
alex - wonderful sets. it's postcard #3 for me. i only wished you had used image #4 in the middle instead.

I think it is a strong option. Thank you, Tom.

Mar 23, 2017 at 02:16 PM
dubaiphil
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

- MS - wrote:
Wow, these are probably the best shots I've seen from Dubai.
One day I will get there and not just visit the airport, when transferring planes.

I appreciate how you've told people about the locations and not kept it a secret.
I've always wondered where the location was for shot 1.

I'm going to check out the rest of
...Show more

For Burj Al Arab access you need to have a reservation in the hotel for one of the restaurants or bars - otherwise you will not have access beyond security.

Another good spot for skyline photoghraphy along SZ Road is 4 Points By Sheraton, which has a roof bar - photography is not strictly allowed by you can request access to shoot for this kind of view:

http://philpage.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p1197610456-5.jpg

Mar 24, 2017 at 06:56 AM
- MS -
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

dubaiphil wrote:
For Burj Al Arab access you need to have a reservation in the hotel for one of the restaurants or bars - otherwise you will not have access beyond security.

Another good spot for skyline photoghraphy along SZ Road is 4 Points By Sheraton, which has a roof bar - photography is not strictly allowed by you can request access to shoot for this kind of view:

Thank you very much for the information, Phil
SZ Road, is another location I'd really like to shoot.

I'm not sure when I'll go to Dubai.
But, if you don't mind, I'd like to PM you once I've booked and ask for location advice, tips and tricks, for getting around and what to wear when visiting Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Abu Dhabi.
Things like that.

I've bookmarked your Zenfolio site too

Mar 24, 2017 at 02:49 PM
dubaiphil
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Go for it, MS. I haven't been in Dubai for 3 years but lived there for 10 years so still relatively know my way around.

Mar 27, 2017 at 05:17 AM
Teper
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Hi Alex, this is really amazing work. Great composition, great technically and great light. You really know how to get the most out of a scene! Well done.

Some constructive feedback (I hope). You should really think about upgrading the 24-105... It is very obvious which photos were taken by what lens, and the 24-105 shots are just lacking, and don't do your photography justice. I would invest in the 24-70mm 2.8 II, your photos deserve it.

Also, for me some are slightly too saturated. Just my 0.02c

Awesome work :P

May 11, 2017 at 12:37 AM
fredster
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

WOW! I just looked at 90% of your images I have to say I was blown away. your images are fantastic!! Love em!

May 12, 2017 at 05:59 PM
fredster
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

WOW! I just looked at 90% of your images I have to say I was blown away. your images are fantastic!! Love em!

May 12, 2017 at 05:59 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Pro shots through and through.

May 12, 2017 at 09:10 PM

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Thank you all guys for such kind words.
Hope to be able to impress your eyes with shots from every new trip.

May 13, 2017 at 06:22 AM

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dubai, UAE - part I (Burj Khalifa)

Teper wrote:
Some constructive feedback (I hope). You should really think about upgrading the 24-105... It is very obvious which photos were taken by what lens, and the 24-105 shots are just lacking, and don't do your photography justice. I would invest in the 24-70mm 2.8 II, your photos deserve it.

Thx for your cooment, Teper. And I'm a bit confused with it considering that my 24-105/4 L ver. I is a very capable lens on my 6D. It delivered very good shots for years and I always was satisfied with its quality keeping in mind it is a zoom lens. Could you please explain what it lacks of? Full list of my shots taken with this lens is here.
I own a CZ 100 MP lens. It's an amazing peice of glass. And I definetely see the difference. But the zoom is remarkably good in its convinience for travel and landscape photography and optical quality it deliveres at f/8-11.

May 13, 2017 at 06:33 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.