Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · This is our happily ever after...

haleym77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · This is our happily ever after...

Congratulations to haleym77 for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 6 votes - View Previous Winners

I thought I was done with family sessions. I couldn't get out of a posing rut and I hated all the stupid and sterile family shoots I did. But then I pulled myself up off my bootstraps, found a new, lovely and safe location to shoot families at, and told myself I was going to let it just happen and NOT pose them...well gosh darn it, I think it worked :-D
CC is always welcome...

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · This is our happily ever after...

I would agree wholeheartedly Haley, it worked!
Douglas

Mar 21, 2017 at 07:11 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · This is our happily ever after...

#6 is my favorite. I can see a wall sized print of that over the sofa.

I like your experimentation with composition, focal length and POV, including incorporating the environment in the photos.

Mar 21, 2017 at 07:46 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · This is our happily ever after...

I think when we think too much about posing, we miss out on what is right in front of us. These are really nice. My one cc suggestion is that when they're down on the ground, you get down there with them so you're not shooting down on them (unless you're getting an angle that works from there).

Another thing... I just like to let things happen as well, to a degree. But for example, No. 10 would have been just a killer shot if you were down there with them and then over to the left so you're featuring her face, eyes closed, loving on her Dad, and then you still have Dad's face loving on his little girl. If you just let things happen and don't assert any control, then the moment comes and goes and you were not quite in the right position to capture that iconic moment -- and it's gone, never to be seen again. But if you're letting things happen, and still maintaining control, then when you see that moment and realize you're in the wrong position, you talk to them, you say hold that, you say to the little girl that you want her to keep loving on her Daddy just the way she is... and most of the time, for me, they'll hold that while I get in position and get the shot.

Just my four cents.

Edited on Mar 21, 2017 at 01:03 PM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:04 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · This is our happily ever after...

friscoron wrote:
If you just let things happen and don't assert any control, then the moment comes and goes and you were quite in the right position to capture that iconic moment -- and it's gone, never to be seen again. But if you're letting things happen, and still maintaining control, then when you see that moment and realize you're in the wrong position, you talk to them, you say hold that, you say to the little girl that you want her to keep loving on her Daddy just the way she is... and most of the time, for me, they'll
...Show more
Ron gave sage advice.

Catch the moment, then improve on it. I never liked "posing" my subjects. I worked to get them comfortable, then watch their natural body rhythm. I'd take what they gave me, then refine it.

OTOH, there's something to be said for the "captured moment" feel of #10 and others. Not taking the photo from the traditional viewpoint adds to a feeling of spontaneity; of a moment observed, not manufactured.

Mar 21, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Adam_A
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · This is our happily ever after...

All very nice images, which will undoubtedly be treasured by the family. Great job.

Adam

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · This is our happily ever after...

Curious that you should say that. One of my concerns about my family photography is that I have difficulty posing people. I tend to like to watch, observe, and shoot. I get some shots that way, but it would be nice to have more ability to pose, especially children, than I do now.

Very nice series. Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Mar 21, 2017 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.